What To Serve With Crab Cakes

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi Ladies

As some of you who know me on the Frugal Living section are aware, I am quitting a full time corporate job to become a housewife and pursue my crafting business full time. I am attempting to create healthier meals at home and one that has me perplexed as to what to serve as a healthy side dish is crab cakes. I need some ideas. I can think of maybe corn on the cob or cole slaw... what other suggestions can you think of?

Anna
  • Hi Anna
    Since you are more or less doing a seafood theme, why not a rice jambalaya...or any rice dish for a side item....you can always do some cheesy scalloped potatoes...just a few suggestions that I would go with....Hope it helps

Debbie
  • Debbie

Thanks... I'm in the midwest what is a rice jambalaya?

Anna
  • Good evening all!!
    Anna, how about cole slaw and oven baked french fries with crab cakes??

I do my oven fries like this - clean your potatoes on the outside, and cut them into 1/8 pieces per potato. Put them in a bowl with abotu 3 tbs. of olive oil and whatever seasonings you like. The big thing here at the sports bars are "crab fries". It is just using old bay seasoning instead of something else. I use just a tad of salt, some pepper, some cayane pepper and garlic powder. But that is just me. Some people like salt and thyme, some Mrs. Dash - any flavor.

Then I line a baking sheet with foil and place the potatoes skin side down (I know sometimes they fall over, but try). I put that into a pre-heated 425* oven for about 45 minutes, or until they are crispy on the outside, but still meaty inside. Yummy!!!

Take care all!! Norma
  • Here are a few sugestions, from when I've eaten out in a restaurant.... I've seen them served with sides of cole slaw and fries, stuffed mushrooms, penne and vodka sauce, garlic spaghetti, or just plain old baked mac and cheese........
  • A jambalaya is a mild or spicy rice with sausage, chicken or shrimp in it with spices like cayenne pepper or something like Old Bay seasoning...you can find many recipes on www.allrecipes.com or just google it. Its a cajun dish and I grew up on it and seafood. I am from Louisiana and the seafood dishes are pretty much the main meal.

Have a good day
    Debbie
  • Thanks Debbie & Norma

Those sound like good choices. We love rice especially so it'll be nice to have a couple of different options and not get bored with having the same ole thing.

Anna
  • Anna, I had no idea that you were quitting your job to go full time with your crafting! Congratulations!! I hope that everything works out for you.

I really don't have anything to add for ideas here. My first thoughts were corn on the cob and cole slaw, next was mac n cheese and last was rice......lol.

Hushpuppies are a good treat to go with them too.
  • Thanks Tami

It was a rather "sudden" but long thought out decision, the timing was just "right".

Anna
  • I'd go for a tossed garden salad (tomato, lettuce, cheese cubes (feta?) cucumber) any salad, with a bit of dressing OR maybe a sweet and sour sauce over rice.

Good luck on your frull time home business, a big step but sounds like the right one for you.