Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Around the Kitchen Table Just want to talk about food? This is the place to sit back, grab a cup of coffee (or tea) and chat about food.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:19 AM
Nine Year Member

Tell Us About Your Kitchen Table

Tell us about your kitchen table! Does it have a long history? A short history? Is it wooden, or metal, or composite? Does it have four legs or is it a pedestal? DO YOU LIKE IT?? What would you rather have? What color is it?

Mine is a melamine on wood top that I salvaged off an old starter set when we first got married. I mounted it onto the bathroom vanity when we pulled it out of the bathroom to make room for a new one. I painted the cabinet red, painted the hardware black, and got four L brackets to support the overhang of the top and also painted those black. It is the perfect height for rolling cookies, pie crusts, kneading bread, etc. I am so very happy I have this lower work surface as I used to have to wear 2 inch high soled shoes to work at the kitchen counter.

What is your kitchen table like?

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 02-23-2007, 05:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Ellen my table came to me through a friend...we were at an auction and she just purchased a new set and mentioned that she now needed to get rid of hers. I asked if I could take a look and fell in love with it. It is very old and came with 4 chairs and a hutch. It has a leaf that when you pull it apart the leaf folds out from underneath. It has to be refinished...still. I got the hutch redone a few years ago and hopefully this summer I will work on the table. The chairs are old mission chairs and are so heavy but they are beautifully worn on the arm rests and bottom foot rung from years of wear. We needed more than 4 chairs so I was able to find an old church pew at a garage sale for 20 dollars and it works perfect! The entire set cost me 200 dollars. I am a lover of old things. May not be my history but I love it still the same

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Nine Year Member

Kitchen table is there one in there? Oh yeah that must what is holding up all the junk!

We bought a new wooden table about 4 yrs ago it fits 6 captain chairs. Our old vinal table had 4 captain chairs and my sister now uses it.

Roberta
Old 02-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My Aunt gave me some money about 20years ago and told me she wanted me to buy a new kitchen table and chairs. I bought a new Chrome Craft set. The table top is wood, but the base is metal. I bought 4 chairs at the time and have added two more as my family grew. All of the chairs I have recovered--no small task. My old table that was replaced ended up in the wood pile as that is about all it was good for.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Like many of you I have a "previously loved" kitchen table.

Mine belonged to my grandmother. A couple of years before she died my parents bought her a new kitchen table & chairs (hers were FALLING APART!) I have memories of sitting with her, having tea at that table. I know she did a good deal of baking at that table also.

My table is light-colored oak and is quite small, but that's good because my kitchen is small. It's a 4-seat table, so we don't eat there anymore. There's no room for 5. It has become a worktable for me. I keep my bread-kneading board on there as well as my large recipe box.

Like Ellen, I am "height challenged" so I prefer to do my kneading and chopping at the table which is lower than a countertop.

I bought the chairs separately since the other chairs weren't very sturdy. A couple of years ago I reupholstered the chair seats (it was really easy!!) so now they are covered in a light-colored vinyl. So easy to wipe clean
Old 02-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I get a laugh that you like the tables shorter........I have the opposite problem my counter tops are too low for me and I hurt my back when i do lots of baking.....I always have told hubby if I get to build my own home my counter wil be higher!!

hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 03-02-2007, 11:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My kitchen table belonged to my mother. she bought when i was about 10 years old from a neighbor down the road from us. it is a drop leaf table that will set just for people. when she got it I think it was red. later she painted it a blue green color. Mother liked loud colors for sure. then later she decided it would look better painted white. so now it is white and i haven't painted it since i got it about 15 years ago. it still has a coffee stain where daddy would sit his coffee cup. i refuse to paint it and do away with the stain. i remember sitting under the table and eating wild blackberries she had picked. they grew in the sand down at a creek we lived close to. the berries were still dirty with the sand and mother would have to get on to me for eating sand and berries. but they were really good.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Assistant Moderator

My dining table is big oval clear laquered pine. It is the second table we bought, the first being a second hand melamime one. The oval is good as when the kids were little there were no corners for them to get caught on or hit their heads on. It's a nice sturdy one with 6 chairs with spindle backs (although these chairs legs have been glued back together many times) It usually has a table protector and table clothe but I'm going for a change at the moment with no cloths, cleared top and place mats.

Who uses table cloths and who uses place mats?

Old 03-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Mystery Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have an old metal edged 1950's vintage table in my kitchen. There is a mismatched lot of chairs to go around it. I found it on the side of the road, brought it home and cleaned it up. I think it's one of my most treasured pieces!
I use tablecloths of the 30's and 40's. I love the graphics and colors.

To return to the Guess Who Game or learn how to play this fun game click here!

Who is our Mystery Guest this week? Take a guess!
click here to submit your guess!
Please remember to submit only one guess per day. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Big Grin

I loved reading about everyone's kitchen tables! My table is 25 years old. We bought it several months after we were married. It was quite an expense for us at that time, but it sure beat using the folding card table that we had! Our table is teak and has 2 leaves that pull out and pop up from underneath to seat 12. It was once a beautiful table, but over the years, it has gotten damaged and scratched. First, from putting my son's infant seat on the table so hubby and I could entertain him while we tried to eat (my son is now getting married and will be entering graduate school). Years later, my dd would polish her nails at the table and spilled nail polish remover on the wood. Lots of damage happened in between, but those events left table "scars" that really stand out! I really need to get it refinished, since we love this table...