Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Around the Kitchen Table Just want to talk about food? This is the place to sit back, grab a cup of coffee (or tea) and chat about food.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:56 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

family dinners

Hi there,
I'm a writer with the parenting website www.kaboose.com (where Amanda is the crafts expert--she suggested I post here). I'm working on a short article about dinnertime conversations. I'd love to hear some tips on how you made your family dinnertime fun and positive. How do you help a quiet child get a word in edgewise when a chatty sibling is dominating the conversation? How do you avoid the "how was your day/it was fine" trap? What do you guys like to talk about? Why is a conversation over a family meal important to you? All that good stuff. Please drop me a line at [email protected] by Wed Feb 14. I'm happy to answer any questions too.
cheers,
Bonnie Schiedel
Old 02-12-2007, 07:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi there I think family dinners are so important especially in this day and age where there are so many with 2 income famies. It is sometimes the one time you can all be together. I try and ask more specific questions so that i am more apt to get a full response from my younger children instead of "fine" I will ask what art project they worked on or who was at school today etc. With my older kids the flow is pretty easy going I just have the problem of one overpowering the other two so we all take turns so everyone gets there say.

Be interesting to see what ideas everyone has!

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-13-2007, 01:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I try "tell me about. . " type questions. eg Tell me about maths today. Tell me about the funniest thing today.
At the moment ds is trying to establish himself in a new school and it is a painful process. Two weeks in and the kids he began to be friends with have changed their minds. He is now alone again, and not sure how to make friends. It is hard to get the call from the sick bay with him complaining of stomach aches, and tell them to send him back to class. We are happy if he can find one positive thing about the day at the moment!
Old 02-13-2007, 04:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Meg so sorry he is finding it tough at the moment...kids can be so cruel at times.....I am sure he will find a group of friends in the days ahead and I am sure they will be a perfect fit for him. Are there no kids from his old school that moved up too?

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Nine Year Member

I know how you mean Meg, shopping for friends is so frustrating! I hope things work out soon for him, he is probably scoping things out a bit too. I forget how old he is?

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 02-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

He is 12, first year at HIgh School. A number of the kids went to this school right through primary as well. He is seeing the counsellor today. I spoke to her on the phone and she thinks we might be in for a 'long term' relationship with her! LOL He left in tears this morning, hopefully we can find a smile at the dinner table tonight.
Back to topic now,
I also will make some large (and usually) untrue statements to see what others think! It is fun to see the reaction and then the realisation that I am joking!!
Old 02-13-2007, 07:02 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Meg, I'm so sorry. My dh has problems w/ friends also. She's only in 1st grade, but it's heartbreaking as a Mom to hear your kids upset. I'll be sure to pray for your family. Hopefully he'll find his niche soon.

We have a hard time eating together as a family. DH usually doesn't get home until the girls are getting ready for bed. I split my dinner times. Some nights I eat w/ the girls, some nights w/ dh. My girls get so excited when we all eat together. That makes me feel guilty that we can't all eat together every night. I try to ask my girls about their favorite & funniest things from the day. That usually leads to other conversations. I also try to find something I can praise them for...sharing, manners, test scores, helping, etc. I tell them how much I love them and what I love about them. Their little faces light up when they receive praise.

Have a great day!

Mindy

Unnecessary possessions are unnecessary burdens...Chinese Fortune Cookie
Old 05-03-2007, 01:52 AM
Assistant Moderator

If we are sitting down to dinner and it is quiet, dh or I just pop up and say the first word that comes to mind, "giraffe", "19", "vegemite on jelly", either words that rhyme come out or other, out of the blue words, and it seems then discussion follows, going from the stupid, to the funny to the serious. It seems then that all things get talked about, the day the week to come.
Dinner is always at the table with no tv, and occasionally radio, but usually just us.