FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Around the Kitchen Table (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/around-kitchen-table/)
-   -   Snacks for long road trips (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/around-kitchen-table/14159-snacks-long-road-trips.html)

Angela in ID 03-21-2005 02:17 PM

Snacks for long road trips

Hi ladies,

Not sure if this is the right place to put this question...I'm still getting use to this site.

We are leaving Saturday morning for a two week road trip to Texas. We have 4 children and I am looking for ideas for fun, yet healthy snacks for the car. Any suggestions or recipes would be appreciated!

Blessings,

Angela

raewyng 03-21-2005 04:42 PM

Any biscuits that have ginger in them are good. My kids get carsick sometimes but since i have been taking ginger biscuits on the trip we seem to be able to not get sick. Dried fruit, museli bars etc are good for trips.
:typ:

trainlady 03-21-2005 11:18 PM

cheese stix
fruit
hard bolied eggs
peanut butter and jelly
pretzels
bagels
raisins
juice and water...........

hugs,train:hearts:

Abear 03-22-2005 07:35 AM

FYI : This thread has been moved to the Around the Kitchen Table subforum.

cgarland5 03-24-2005 01:35 PM

I have always made my own trail mix...the grocery stores sell them at such an outrageous price and I can get more for my $$ if I make my own...raisins, sunflower seeds, cereals (of your choice)...i usually combine 2 or three kinds of cereal, banana and/or apricot chips (dehydrated of course) peanuts, chocolate chips and even some chex mix.....these are just a few of my kids favorites...

dinsky 03-24-2005 05:10 PM

We take several long car trips (several hundred miles or more) every year with the kids (3 and 11). We alway pack a cooler with juice, water, veggie sticks, grapes, apples. Also, we make our own trail mix with our favorite low salt/sugar cereals, raisins, banana chips, unsalted pretzels, unsalted peanuts. Peanut butter, bagels, ginger snaps, granola bars and fruit bars. We try to stay away from the salty, sugary stuff. We also pack a soccer ball, softball and gloves, squishy ball and football so that we can get everyone out of the car. It makes for a much happier journey.

Have fun and take care.

Dinsky

Pamela'shome 03-25-2005 09:01 AM

When we go to our place up north it is a 5 hour drive, we pack water bottles, juice, crackers, fruit, fruit snacks, cheesesticks, granola bars, muffins & small bottles of milk. Pam

Catwoman 03-25-2005 10:03 AM

Peanut butter and crackers is a favorite with mine... the "homemade" kind, not store-bought. They think it's a neater treat if I make them myself.

Another one my kids couldn't live without is popcorn. They could eat it all day long... well, okay, so could I, I admit. :popcorn:

watkinsnewbie 03-28-2005 10:30 PM

snacks

ANTS ON A LOG!

1.celery sticks
2. fill the hollows with peanut butter
3. arrange raisins in a row on the p.b.

NOTE: Pack plenty of wipes or a damp facecloth in a baggie. These are messy!:worm: :clapp: :)