Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Around the Home Leaky faucet? Ants? Looking for tips to help around your house or want to discuss budgeting? Here you'll find household tips, decorating and repair ideas, as well as plenty of money advice.

View Poll Results: Does your Husband or Significant Other regularly help with household jobs?
yes! he helps out all the time 25 55.56%
sometimes--I have to nag beforehand 8 17.78%
no! Are you kidding me?? 10 22.22%
on special occasions 4 8.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami, I think it does feels nice to gripe once in awhile. lol

I've been married for 28 years. Currently, my DH does all his own laundry and in many cases he does mine. He does most of the shopping and many, many other chores. He has been terrific since I started school. However, he didn't start out that way. I remember early in our marriage when we used to fight over him not taking the trash out and other things that I now think back on as silly. But, at the time, it was so frustrating to be home with small children all day cleaning the house and then have to beg and beg to have the trash taken out. DH has really rippened well with age.

Shellsea, how long have I known you? I did not know you have been married 19 years! I don't know how you do it with 3 boys!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 08-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Mine came from a very tradional household, mom did everything but work outside the home. My mom always worked. So our early years were full of battles but I went back to work after 12 years and we settled into a routine. He worked construction and was off a lot in the cold weather and he took care of things , I worked for a school and did the summer months and we fought about the ones in between.He retired early and became the best da__ house husband you could find. He found out he even likes to cook. I retired this year on a disability and walk with the help of crutches so now he does it all. I do cook and clean up and he does everything I can't. It took a long time to train him but now he is a keeper.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My dh helps out a lot. He does the yard work and car maintenance, garbage, recycling etc. I do the gardens (flower/food).
Since I was pg. with my 7yr old he started doing the dishes and has done them 90% of the time since. He will sweep, pick up, change and make beds, laundry, and cook.
(I cook the more involved meals.) He does pretty much whatever needs to be done.
He spoils me and helps out a lot.
We both work seasonally at the same place, so we are laid off at the same time too.
He makes our break for work, packs the kids lunches. I do homework..lol.
We grocery shop together.
It works for us.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Nine Year Member

I'm jealous!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Assistant Moderator

When dh and I first got married we both worked and the house work was 50-50, I'd put the wahing in the machine (I left for work first) and he'd hang it out before he left, we'd both mow the lawn 1 front, 1 back yeard, or trun about. We'd clean bathrooms toilets pretty evenly.
Once the kids were born things changed but he still helped with nappy washing and baby cleaning and took on the out doors jobs as his.
Now he's the dishwasher stacker, his sense of order can't take the way I stack it (do I do it on purpose would be a better question LOL), he'll clean up the cooking mess if it needs to be done, dishes etc. He can start dinner or serve it, if he makes it, it's usually bacon and egg on toast but he can BBQ.
Does he have set jobs that are his every day, no but if it needs to be done around the house he will do it, dishes, washing, loo cleaning .....
Interesting thing I find, his older brother won't do anything but mow the grass and trim edges, nothing inside and same with his father, so I was lucky it seems.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Nine Year Member

shell sea - welcome to FC! I was just checking back here and saw our siggy quote and had to say Thanks! I hope my life is like that!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 08-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My DH does NOT help in the house at all. NO WASHING, CLEANING, CHILD CARE or COOKING. He does NOT mow and most of the time it's my responsiblity to schedule my own truck maintenance and tires etc. Come to think of it he doesn't do much at all. We both work in our business an equal amount but then I come in the house to my other job and he goes to his recliner and TV. I've talked till blue about needing help but he glazes over and ... Moral of the story is be totally grateful for all your hubby/sig. other do. Oh yea he also does NOT grill, I do he doesn't see the point he said since I do all the other cookin!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Assistant Moderator

I told hubby that the bbq was mans work LOL he has to do that and I'm probably stereotyping but on the weekends I send the boys out with stuff and tell them to make conversation with dad as that's what males do, stand around the barbie and talk man talk so funny to watch. If we are bbq during the week I start cooking and when he comes home he finishes.
He took the garbage out to the curb last night, that was good as it was still raining.

We had a tv show that did a story on how much "womens work" in the house would cost if you paid some one else to to it WOW it's quite a few thousand every year.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:18 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My Hubby does nothing. I cook clean etc etc
I do the DIY things
I look after the children

Sometimes it gets at me but then I remin myself he does go out to work
Old 04-18-2009, 05:10 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

mine hubby is wonderful about helping out i do it but if i need help or im sick he does it all