Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Around the Home Leaky faucet? Ants? Looking for tips to help around your house or want to discuss budgeting? Here you'll find household tips, decorating and repair ideas, as well as plenty of money advice.

View Poll Results: Does your Husband or Significant Other regularly help with household jobs?
yes! he helps out all the time 25 55.56%
sometimes--I have to nag beforehand 8 17.78%
no! Are you kidding me?? 10 22.22%
on special occasions 4 8.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Nine Year Member

Now that we are retired and spend more time home together we each have our own chores to do. He takes care of mowing and trimming the lawn. I don't mind planting and weeding which gives him a breather.

He can cook something fast for lunch or breakfast but I love to prepare dinner. He cooks me up a batch of pancakes on the griddle which I freeze and eat for breakfast.

He enjoys washing the dinner dishes and putting them away. I cleanup most of the mess as I am cooking.

He does not do housework but does all the grocery shopping which saves me a lot of time to get the house cleaned before he returns.

When He was working it was a different story. Since he was in construction out in the heat all day working hard let him relax when he got home. On the weekends there was always things & projects to build or fix. Guess we all have to do our part to keep the family running smoothly. After 52 years it has paid off.
_______
Sueanne

Old 08-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I guess I am among the lucky ones Bob washes dishes, moves furniture, takes out trash, and vaccumms the floor and has even cleaned the bathroom and the toilet so I am hanging on to him he is a gem L.O.L. Bunny

Old 08-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Before My accident DH did a lot but since the accident he has done even more. The upkeep, building, lawn and cars for starters. Vaccuming since it is hard for me. A great gopher for all the stuff I can't reach now. He does not do cat litter or toilets but most everything else. Sometimes when I really need the help he seems to forget to help but mostly he is a gem.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:35 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueanne
Since he was in construction out in the heat all day working hard let him relax when he got home. On the weekends there was always things & projects to build or fix. Guess we all have to do our part to keep the family running smoothly.
This has been our thought pattern since I quit working outside the home ten years ago. When I worked, we both did the housework when we got home. But when I decided to stay home with the kids, we agreed that I would do it all. He's a mechanic, works hard every day in the heat and the cold, so he's bushed when he gets home.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-17-2007, 03:48 AM
Head Moderator

My Dh has never been a cook, a cleaner, or etc. He used to build all types of things , but since his accident that requires help from me now. He can mow some as long as he can sit and use the tractor, I do all the parts the tractor ca't get to with the DR.

When the kids were little he would "cook" supper for them all as long as I laid out what to do, but that was an experience! One night I had him heat spaghetti sauce and laid out a 2 lb. pkg of spaghetti for him to use what he needed; he cooked the whole pkg! Strachy mess!

When he wa little his family was lucky to have any food in the house so no learning to cook. He actually grew a garden to have something to eat and that was pull it and eat it raw in order to have it to eat; there were 10 in the house. Cleaning... all I will say is his mother WAS NOT a housekeeper, enough said!

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 08-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Niether my mom or his was/is a housekeeper. My FIL has started doing a lot of the housework so it gets done. I think she is so tired of him griping at her, she has tuned life out.

My dh has the ability to do almost anything. Some things he is really good at but lately, he mows the grass. That is about it. We have been having this dicussion too.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish
My dh does a few things good.He mowes the lawn and the weeder only sometimes.He used to be good at helping pick up and vacuming and once in awhile doing the laundry.Seems like now he doesn't help out as much unless he knows his folks are coming over.I do have the kids helping me out with some of the chores around here so that does help.

Mish
My DH and home life is very much like yours, except he doesn't even help anymore when he knows that his folks are coming over. I don't know exactly what has happened with us and the chores in the past 19yrs., but things are not how they used to be. If things get done, either I or my DS's get them done. Although if the job is too large he does help, or takes care of it himself. I have gotten to where I prioritize a lot of the various chores, and pick which ones I will spend the energy on to get done, and which ones that I will spend energy on to have DH or DS's do. Life is too short to nag!!! LOL
Old 08-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My dh is very helpful will do anything if im sick or just dont feel good i dont have to worry about anything getting done he will make sure its taken care of and also takes care of me im a very lucky woman the second time around

Old 08-18-2007, 08:45 PM

Happy face

Mac helps me all the time.. runs the vaccum cleaner, cleans the carpets, takes out trash, he will put a load of towels in the washer & fold them when they are dried, etc. He works outside too with pulling weeds & keeping the yard clean. I do the cooking & keep the dishes washed up & most of the chores but he does help alot. I'm gonna hang on to him LOL.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Nine Year Member

My hubby cooks all our suppers (but doesn't clean up after himself). I fend for myself on the other meals because he usually only eats the one meal. He also washes his work clothes. He does cut the grass, usually when it gets halfway up the calves! He takes care of his fish tanks and he has been taking care of the vegetable/garden plants.
Occasionally, he will help with a household chore. A few months ago, he washed down the bathroom walls and he has vacuumed the living room for me to help get ready for a party.
The rest of the chores are all mine. If I were really sick he might chip in and do the absolutely necessary stuff. If I was at death's door, he would call my friend to come clean out the litterbox!