FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Around the Home (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/around-home/)
-   -   Parents--Do you leave your bedroom door open when you go sleep? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/around-home/21156-parents-do-you-leave-your-bedroom-door-open-when-you-go-sleep.html)

ajrsmom 08-04-2007 09:23 AM

Parents--Do you leave your bedroom door open when you go sleep?

This might seem like a bit a strange poll question but it came up recently in a conversation I was having. Although I never thought that what I do by leaving our bedroom door and my kids' bedroom door open, I found out that almost everyone I ask about this, sleeps with their bedroom doors closed.

For me, by leaving the doors open, I can always hear them if they yell for me in the middle of the night. If something happens in our house, I will be able to hear it.

Am I the odd woman out on this?

In the end, it is always a matter of personal preference, of course. :zzzz:

Anyone care to share their opinions with me?

stellajean66 08-04-2007 10:01 AM

Hi Ajrsmom,

I sleep with my door closed for two reasons.
1. I sleep with the door closed because I do not want to here my husband's freight train sounding snoring(that is why we sleep in separate rooms) and 2. I like to have my room pitch black when I am asleep.

Of course, my son is 16 now, so if he needs me, he will just come to me. But I even slept with the doors closed when he was younger too. But I had a monitor in his room, so I could hear him.

That is my preference.

BuddyBeanieBaby 08-04-2007 10:09 AM

Hi Tami...you are not the odd woman out on this one...I have always slept with my bedroom door open and the kids slept with their doors partly closed...

I can't sleep with the door closed tightly,never have been able to and the closet door has to be closed at all times...strange I know...

I guess it is every person's own preference...but I like my bedroom door partly open...

DeBora4BobbyL 08-04-2007 10:16 AM

Tami, since you said "parents" I assume you mean people with minor children. Currently, I sleep with the door closed becuase our young cat comes in and wakes us up on the middle of the night or our puppy wakes us up to play with her. lol So, she stays outside with the door closed.

However, when our children were young, we always kept the door opened for the reason you stated above--I wanted to be able to hear them if they awakened in the middle of the night. We did close the door when DH and myself wanted some intimate time together. So, I put both.

stellajean66 08-04-2007 10:41 AM

Theresa, I have to have my closet doors closed too, that is not strange. LOL

danstigerangel 08-04-2007 11:38 AM

We sleep with the door closed but not shut so that the cat can come in. LOL

My kids are both older so they can come to me.

sharona 08-04-2007 01:18 PM

It's always been door open in our home. Closet door has to be shut tightly though. LOL

ellenmelon 08-04-2007 01:41 PM

Sharona, you are too funny in your siggy line!!!

I have always been an open door person but since getting the barker and growler little dog, who is not so little anymore, I can shut the door when I need to and know that she will listen and guard the home.

Plus the girls stay up all night and dh half the night too so our house is always awake.

Mish 08-04-2007 03:52 PM

We have always had the doors to the kids opened abit and our room opened up too.That way when the kids get sick in the middle of the night i can hear them.We have always had the doors open here.Oh and our closet doors need to be shut here too.LOL!!!

Mish :)

debknechtel 08-04-2007 04:37 PM

Our door os always open...mainly so I can hear the kids or other problems.......I don't like having the door closed.....We are on a different floor than our kids so having to close it for intimate moments is not a problem. Sometimes in the morning hubby will close the door to allow me to sleep in if he feels I need my rest.

Hugs debbie

kathymac 08-04-2007 05:39 PM

I guess I paid too much attention during Fire Prevention Week as a kid where they told you to keep your door closed and not to open it if it felt warm. DH is a VERY light sleeper so it was never a problem that we wouldn't know if the kids woke up.

Kathy

bar_bar 08-04-2007 06:20 PM

I always sleep with the door opened with my kids and now with the gd's. I feel shut up if I had the door shut all the way. Don't like that feeling, but the main reason was to be able to hear the kids and gd's if there was a problem.
My kids and the girls knows how to find thier way to my room in the dark no problem but sitll I felt better if my door was open.
thier door is open, now with my kids got older and they wanted to shut the door when they were in thier teens no problem.

For the closet it just make sense for it to be closed. there was one time when I went to sleep with it sort of opened I had a night mare, according to John, but it was one of those dreams that seemed to be real where someone was hiding in my closet and came out with a knife at us. Well from then on the door was always shut all the way.

barbszy 08-05-2007 04:30 AM

I too like the room pitch dark when I sleep--especially since on "my" side of the bed, I can see the hallway light shining in my face. So I keep the door "closed over" but not closed tightly. This way I can still hear the younger kids if they need me, or they can get in easily. (Big DS sleeps on a different floor).

All the kids sleep with their doors wide open.

When our door is tightly closed it is hard to open, so we only do that when privacy is needed.

Also, we have 2 doors to our room, one from the hall and one from the bathroom (which also has a door to the hall). I like to leave the bathroom door completely open since I'm in there a few times a night, and it's a squeaky door, but lightly close the door between the bath and the hall.

ellenmelon 08-05-2007 04:58 AM

Our closet doors are always open. They are bifolds and with the carpet they are hard to open and close, the lights are always burning out, and the bird likes to perch on top of them. It looks messy but oh well.

DeBora4BobbyL 08-05-2007 07:09 AM

Quote:

I too like the room pitch dark when I sleep--especially since on "my" side of the bed, I can see the hallway light shining in my face. So I keep the door "closed over" but not closed tightly. This way I can still hear the younger kids if they need me, or they can get in easily. (Big DS sleeps on a different floor).
I like things pitch dark too. But, since we have GKs, DH has gotten used to a night light, even when the kids aren't here visiting! So, I call him a baby that he has to have his night light. lol :neener:

Amayesing 08-05-2007 07:34 AM

I have alway slept w/ the door closed. I am a really light sleeper so, if I wanted to sleep at all, the door needed to be closed. Also, I like pitch dark and I have black out curtains. The door was never locked and the kids were always welcome but they still needed to close the door when they came in.

CHADSMOM 08-05-2007 01:47 PM

My bedroom door is left open most of the time, I like to hear things (if I am awake that is...), and my son always closes his door but never his closet door... I have even gone into his bedroom after he is asleep and closed the closet door and when I get up in the morning, you guessed it- wide open again!

Bunny 08-05-2007 03:17 PM

I always had the doors slightly ajar as the kids were but now as we are alone thay are closed and no light of any kind even the closet door is closed, My GS keeps his ajar and my GGS in case he needs his Dad and thay both know that all thay need to do is knock on the dood if I am needed.

Bilby 08-05-2007 06:37 PM

When the kids were younger the door would be open at night, but in the last 5(?) years it gets closed at night when we go to bed. The kids know though that they can come into our room during the night if they feel unwell etc.
Also during the day if the door is shut make sure kids knock as we have an ensuite, and we'd walk out of the shower and the kids would be on the bed or burst in, so it was a bit of a privacy thing or you would see your nudey parent LOL

hcakelady 08-05-2007 08:40 PM

Ours is open just a bit for the swamp cooler to work. We have a lock on our door and when our 10 yo son (the youngest of 5) was about 1 1/2 he discovered that the key to our door was the same as the front door and my keys were in my purse in the living room. SURPRIZE!!! He wanted to come in and play 'trampoline' on our bed too!!!
We recovered...he doesn't remember it. Another reason is to keep the kids quiet. If the kids make noise and wake me up I get up and hand them the job jar.

boesemanrainbow 08-05-2007 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathymac
I guess I paid too much attention during Fire Prevention Week as a kid where they told you to keep your door closed and not to open it if it felt warm. DH is a VERY light sleeper so it was never a problem that we wouldn't know if the kids woke up.

Kathy

I keep my kids doors closed at night for the fire reason, and so the hallway light won't wake them when we go to bed, but we keep our door open so we can be aware of night time happenings. :zzzz:

megrayau 08-05-2007 10:59 PM

Our door is always open when we go to sleep. Dd shuts her door now and doesn't like any light. Ds changes his mind daily! Even if we close our door for privacy, we open it before oging to sleep.

Jenny 08-06-2007 03:33 AM

Doors Open

When the kids were little we had all the bedroom doors open. As they got older they began to close theirs and I guess ourw would be half shut. We always liked the door open so I could hear but also because we always sleep with the window open and if you shut the door there is no circulationl. When the kids left home we still left the door open. Now I am on my own and the door is still open. Even if I have visitors I leave the door ajar so the air can move.

Jennifer

Panj 08-06-2007 04:27 AM

Our door is cracked open. My dh works midnights so when I am home during the week with the kids, it is open all the way. On the w/e when he is off, I leave it cracked a bit because the hall night light bothers him. But I can still hear the kids if they call out or when they get up during the night. If I don't they will come in and wake me! lol
Also, in our hous,e if the door is closed you must knock, so I leave it cracked in case they need me and don't have the time to knock.

motherof2 08-06-2007 06:01 AM

The boys doors are shut when they first go to bed just because they have shining stars on the ceiling and like to look at them. Also with us just moving to a new house, we like to be able to hear the boys if they get up at night as well. We are able to dim the dinning room light as use it as a night light. We shut ours to so that my husband can sleep. He also likes the pitch black when he is sleeping. When we want to be intimate we shut the doors but usually the boys are asleep anyway so sometimes we do not shut them.

Lifestar 08-06-2007 06:51 AM

I keep my bedroom door open. My younger DD sleeps on a sofa-bed in the living room... so she's in a wide open space. I feel better hearing every little sound. I don't like that she is out there.. ..my older DD likes her door closed.

I always feel guilty allowing the open doors, and having dd out in the living room because I also paid attention during fire safety week!
:nono:

Deidra 08-06-2007 07:06 AM

Door Closed/Open

Until my son was born we always closed our door, safer in case of fires. I close my son's bedroom door, but I leave mine open so I can hear him if he gets up/needs me! Paranoid moms you know! Not sure how old he will be before I will close our door!

Deidra

fish3711 08-06-2007 07:12 AM

I like the door open so the kids can come in if they need me or I can hear them if they are up. My husband likes it closed. So he will close it, I open it and so on and so on until one of us falls asleep before the other and that is how it ends up. My kids keep theirs closed because they like their TV's on while they sleep. But I still feel more comfortable with it open.
felicia

dallasalice 08-06-2007 08:23 AM

:blah: Our bedroom doors are open. Kids are 17 & almost 20, so I still like to listen for them coming & going. Closet doors are half open also, just cuz there is stuff in front of one of the doors. Moving soon so I hope to get that box moved!

Alice

goldeagle1 08-06-2007 08:35 AM

Our children are now at college, but we've always kept our door open. We wanted to hear the kids (when they were little) if they needed us, and we wanted to hear the kids (when they were teens) when they came home late at night! Plus, we have 2 cats that need access to the litter box in our master bathroom (LOL)! Of course, we would shut the door during intimate times, but we opened it back up, afterwords!

barbszy 08-06-2007 09:11 AM

We almost never close the closet doors. They are sliding doors and REALLY squeaky! We just shift them back and forth depending on who needs to get clothes out of the closet.

Big DS only closes his closet in the winter because it backs to the (non-insulated) garage, and there's a blast of cold air if he doesn't close it.

nee_ni 08-06-2007 10:23 AM

Open sometimes, closed sometimes. I can't hear a thing when it is closed especially with air on. My husband works at night so I definately need to hear me being a hard sleeper once I go to sleep by 3 a.m. My kids bust in my room anyway. Growing up my sister had to walk through my room to get to hers and she was in college so it was open mostly or she never closed it back. Bathroom light on and door open always. I do that now for my kids. As far as the closet- it seems we all have the MONSTAER"S INC syndrome. :)

bar_bar 08-06-2007 10:54 AM

the girls sleeps with thier closet door open but the reason is because it a half double door and with thier toys it just hard to shut.
Plus they like the light to be left on and I use their closet light for them.

Our bedroom has 2 doors to it too, one into the hallway and one to the outside.
I don't shut the blinds all the way down and sometimes the light from the LR will shine into the bedroom door or from the hallway into the back door.
My dh likes a night light so when he comes home the night lite goes on for I go to sleep with it off.

THis has been a very interesting thread.

ajrsmom 08-06-2007 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bar_bar

THis has been a very interesting thread.

I totally agree! :)

I sleep by myself 5 or 6 days a a week since my DH works night shift. So that is why I have come to rely on leaving the doors open. When they were babies (and even then some ;)), I always had a moniter in my room.

On the days that my Dh is off, he has come accustomed to sleeping with the door open and the fan off but our room is blacked out for him to sleep during the day. He also sleeps with the fan on during the day.

Big hugs to everyone who has made this such an interesting thread!

Tami

dval 08-06-2007 07:51 PM

I chose both.
My son's bedroom is a pass through to my bedroom. His door is ALWAYS closed, even when he's not there. When I was in 7th grade we had a fire in our house and ever since then I have been closing my door.
My bedroom door (into Jason's room) is a set of sliding doors which won't stop smoke or fire. The other door into the hallway is blocked by a bookcase. We usually close the adjoining door. When the a/c is on it stays closed all day. If it is particularly muggy or hot, I leave the adjoining door open at night so Jason can get the a/c.
In wintertime, the adjoining door is usally partially open to allow some of the heat in Jason's room to escape into ours. Otherwise his room gets sweltering (large radiator in a tiny room). Our radiator is never on because we both like the room cold for sleeping. We have no closets in either room. Jason's closet is a bar hanging on the sliding door. Our closet is a mud room off the kitchen that we converted to a closet (my house is over 100 years old so there are very few closets). I like to sleep in a completely dark room but we usually keep the fish tank light on in Jason's room so we don't trip on the way to our room.
As for the privacy, there is none! Not with the closeness of the bedrooms and the sliding door. Intimacy is usually saved for after he is asleep or when he's not home.

Speechmom 08-07-2007 06:54 AM

I have always slept with the door open- even as a kid. My bedroom as a child didn't have a radiator or register for heat, although the chimney went up behind the door. I think it was left open so heat from the hall and my parents room would come in. So I just thought it was natural to have the door open.

Lisa

Joy 08-07-2007 08:35 AM

Our door has always been open. The kids all sleep with their doors shut now that they are older.
Our bedroom is in an out of the way part of the house so the open door is usually not a problem. Having the door open does help with the heating and cooling of the room too.

trekmom 08-07-2007 06:53 PM

I voted that I keep ours closed-which we do now. When the kids were little and we were living just our family, the doors might have been opened a little bit-even when my door was closed then, I usually found at least one of my girls in bed with us in the morning.
When we moved to NC and moved in with my parents, we all kept the doors closed for privacy and now with dd#1 and her family living with us the gk's door might be opened a little but the adults doors are closed.
Closets are never closed though-in FL they were rarely closed; at my mom's house they were always closed; here in our home we took the bifold doors off because the carpet knocked them off track most of the time-so no doors to close.....
Pam

angel 619 08-08-2007 06:13 PM

I keep the door open cause i feel saver that way . Even when I was living at home my door was open. So I never change still stays open. When the kids were young there doors where open too. So i could hear if they needed me. It was a good idea too.

Bilby 08-08-2007 11:27 PM

Even though now our kids are older and we keep our door shut at night I can still hear them moving about if they get up when we are asleep, quite often meet them at the doorway. Thier rooms are across the house, so either they make one heck of a racket anyone can hear, excluding hubby, but I prefer to think that we as mums will hear our kids regardless as that is what we are programmed to do since they were babies.