Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Around the Home Leaky faucet? Ants? Looking for tips to help around your house or want to discuss budgeting? Here you'll find household tips, decorating and repair ideas, as well as plenty of money advice.

View Poll Results: Parents--Do you leave your bedroom door open when you go sleep?
Door is always open 19 39.58%
Door is always closed 14 29.17%
It depends...sometimes open-sometimes closed 15 31.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymac
I guess I paid too much attention during Fire Prevention Week as a kid where they told you to keep your door closed and not to open it if it felt warm. DH is a VERY light sleeper so it was never a problem that we wouldn't know if the kids woke up.

Kathy
I keep my kids doors closed at night for the fire reason, and so the hallway light won't wake them when we go to bed, but we keep our door open so we can be aware of night time happenings.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Our door is always open when we go to sleep. Dd shuts her door now and doesn't like any light. Ds changes his mind daily! Even if we close our door for privacy, we open it before oging to sleep.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Doors Open

When the kids were little we had all the bedroom doors open. As they got older they began to close theirs and I guess ourw would be half shut. We always liked the door open so I could hear but also because we always sleep with the window open and if you shut the door there is no circulationl. When the kids left home we still left the door open. Now I am on my own and the door is still open. Even if I have visitors I leave the door ajar so the air can move.

Jennifer
Old 08-06-2007, 05:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Our door is cracked open. My dh works midnights so when I am home during the week with the kids, it is open all the way. On the w/e when he is off, I leave it cracked a bit because the hall night light bothers him. But I can still hear the kids if they call out or when they get up during the night. If I don't they will come in and wake me! lol
Also, in our hous,e if the door is closed you must knock, so I leave it cracked in case they need me and don't have the time to knock.

The God of hope fill you with all joy and peace...Romans 15:13
Old 08-06-2007, 07:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

The boys doors are shut when they first go to bed just because they have shining stars on the ceiling and like to look at them. Also with us just moving to a new house, we like to be able to hear the boys if they get up at night as well. We are able to dim the dinning room light as use it as a night light. We shut ours to so that my husband can sleep. He also likes the pitch black when he is sleeping. When we want to be intimate we shut the doors but usually the boys are asleep anyway so sometimes we do not shut them.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I keep my bedroom door open. My younger DD sleeps on a sofa-bed in the living room... so she's in a wide open space. I feel better hearing every little sound. I don't like that she is out there.. ..my older DD likes her door closed.

I always feel guilty allowing the open doors, and having dd out in the living room because I also paid attention during fire safety week!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Door Closed/Open

Until my son was born we always closed our door, safer in case of fires. I close my son's bedroom door, but I leave mine open so I can hear him if he gets up/needs me! Paranoid moms you know! Not sure how old he will be before I will close our door!

Deidra
Old 08-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I like the door open so the kids can come in if they need me or I can hear them if they are up. My husband likes it closed. So he will close it, I open it and so on and so on until one of us falls asleep before the other and that is how it ends up. My kids keep theirs closed because they like their TV's on while they sleep. But I still feel more comfortable with it open.
felicia

Old 08-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Our bedroom doors are open. Kids are 17 & almost 20, so I still like to listen for them coming & going. Closet doors are half open also, just cuz there is stuff in front of one of the doors. Moving soon so I hope to get that box moved!

Alice
Old 08-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

chuckle

Our children are now at college, but we've always kept our door open. We wanted to hear the kids (when they were little) if they needed us, and we wanted to hear the kids (when they were teens) when they came home late at night! Plus, we have 2 cats that need access to the litter box in our master bathroom (LOL)! Of course, we would shut the door during intimate times, but we opened it back up, afterwords!