FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Around the Home (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/around-home/)
-   -   Parents--Do you leave your bedroom door open when you go sleep? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/around-home/21156-parents-do-you-leave-your-bedroom-door-open-when-you-go-sleep.html)

kathymac 08-04-2007 05:39 PM

I guess I paid too much attention during Fire Prevention Week as a kid where they told you to keep your door closed and not to open it if it felt warm. DH is a VERY light sleeper so it was never a problem that we wouldn't know if the kids woke up.

Kathy

bar_bar 08-04-2007 06:20 PM

I always sleep with the door opened with my kids and now with the gd's. I feel shut up if I had the door shut all the way. Don't like that feeling, but the main reason was to be able to hear the kids and gd's if there was a problem.
My kids and the girls knows how to find thier way to my room in the dark no problem but sitll I felt better if my door was open.
thier door is open, now with my kids got older and they wanted to shut the door when they were in thier teens no problem.

For the closet it just make sense for it to be closed. there was one time when I went to sleep with it sort of opened I had a night mare, according to John, but it was one of those dreams that seemed to be real where someone was hiding in my closet and came out with a knife at us. Well from then on the door was always shut all the way.

barbszy 08-05-2007 04:30 AM

I too like the room pitch dark when I sleep--especially since on "my" side of the bed, I can see the hallway light shining in my face. So I keep the door "closed over" but not closed tightly. This way I can still hear the younger kids if they need me, or they can get in easily. (Big DS sleeps on a different floor).

All the kids sleep with their doors wide open.

When our door is tightly closed it is hard to open, so we only do that when privacy is needed.

Also, we have 2 doors to our room, one from the hall and one from the bathroom (which also has a door to the hall). I like to leave the bathroom door completely open since I'm in there a few times a night, and it's a squeaky door, but lightly close the door between the bath and the hall.

ellenmelon 08-05-2007 04:58 AM

Our closet doors are always open. They are bifolds and with the carpet they are hard to open and close, the lights are always burning out, and the bird likes to perch on top of them. It looks messy but oh well.

DeBora4BobbyL 08-05-2007 07:09 AM

Quote:

I too like the room pitch dark when I sleep--especially since on "my" side of the bed, I can see the hallway light shining in my face. So I keep the door "closed over" but not closed tightly. This way I can still hear the younger kids if they need me, or they can get in easily. (Big DS sleeps on a different floor).
I like things pitch dark too. But, since we have GKs, DH has gotten used to a night light, even when the kids aren't here visiting! So, I call him a baby that he has to have his night light. lol :neener:

Amayesing 08-05-2007 07:34 AM

I have alway slept w/ the door closed. I am a really light sleeper so, if I wanted to sleep at all, the door needed to be closed. Also, I like pitch dark and I have black out curtains. The door was never locked and the kids were always welcome but they still needed to close the door when they came in.

CHADSMOM 08-05-2007 01:47 PM

My bedroom door is left open most of the time, I like to hear things (if I am awake that is...), and my son always closes his door but never his closet door... I have even gone into his bedroom after he is asleep and closed the closet door and when I get up in the morning, you guessed it- wide open again!

Bunny 08-05-2007 03:17 PM

I always had the doors slightly ajar as the kids were but now as we are alone thay are closed and no light of any kind even the closet door is closed, My GS keeps his ajar and my GGS in case he needs his Dad and thay both know that all thay need to do is knock on the dood if I am needed.

Bilby 08-05-2007 06:37 PM

When the kids were younger the door would be open at night, but in the last 5(?) years it gets closed at night when we go to bed. The kids know though that they can come into our room during the night if they feel unwell etc.
Also during the day if the door is shut make sure kids knock as we have an ensuite, and we'd walk out of the shower and the kids would be on the bed or burst in, so it was a bit of a privacy thing or you would see your nudey parent LOL

hcakelady 08-05-2007 08:40 PM

Ours is open just a bit for the swamp cooler to work. We have a lock on our door and when our 10 yo son (the youngest of 5) was about 1 1/2 he discovered that the key to our door was the same as the front door and my keys were in my purse in the living room. SURPRIZE!!! He wanted to come in and play 'trampoline' on our bed too!!!
We recovered...he doesn't remember it. Another reason is to keep the kids quiet. If the kids make noise and wake me up I get up and hand them the job jar.