Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-17-2002, 04:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Gift idea

I would like to know if anyone knows how to make a bath scrub?
My sister gave me some that she had purchased, and I loved it. I could tell that it had essential oil in it, some sort of salt, and another oil that helped keep moisture in the skin.
Thanks
Old 09-21-2002, 08:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

bath scrub

i dont know but sounds like a good idea im making bath baskets and would love some recipes for bathstuff to go in them!!!!!
Old 09-21-2002, 10:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I hope this helps some of you I have found some bath recipes on other sites on the internet heres what I have found so far, but please put any recipes for goodies on here as possible I love to make gift baskets for family and friends.

BATH SACHET

1 cup oatmeal (not instant)
1/2 cup rosemary leaves (or substitute lavender, thyme, lemon verbena...or your favorite herb)
1/4 cup rose petals [optional]

Mix the ingredients together and, for each sachet, place a few tablespoons in the center of a six-inch square of lace, cheesecloth or muslin bring the four corners together and tie in the middle with a washable ribbon, making sure that the mixture is secure in your bath. Tie the bag to hang sachet mixture in a ho n ey pot in the bathroom and refill sachet as necessary. Each bag can be used several times before it needs refilling. Oatmeal is very good for the skin but by itself is not particularly attractive, which is why you add rose petals. The Rose petals complement the oatmeal and add a little more fragrance to the mix.

For a humorous present for friends with a hot tub, sew a large tea bag from cheesecloth or muslin, fill it with a mixture of herbs and oatmeal (keeping the same proportions as in the recipe) and staple the bag to a string. Write the message "tea for two" on a piece of paper and attach it to the other end of the string. The "tea" bag can be used several times.
From Gifts from Your Garden , by Suzanne Frutig Bales, Prentice Hall, 1992.

EPSOM BATH SALTS

2 cups epsom salts
1/2 tsp. food coloring if you want it
1/2 to 1 (depending upon your preference) tsp. fragrance oil
1/2 cup dried rose petals crumbled to near powder

Mix all ingredients. Lovely bath salts.

HERBAL BATH SALTS

Materials:
large pan to mix salts in
Epsom Salts
Sea Salt
zip-type bags to mix the salts and oils in
Essential oil (not flavoring oils, but "real" essential oil)
Potpourri herbs of choice
Food coloring (optional)
Glycerin (optional)
Pretty bottles (optional)
Ribbon to decorate bottles (optional)

Using approx. 2-to-1 proportions Epsom Salt and sea salt, mix in a big pan. This is your bath salt "base". Measure about 1 cup of the salt mixture int o each zippy bag. Place about 4 drops of essential oil into the salt mixture in each bag. Zip the bag closed and mix the salt and oil.

Tear potpourri herbs into tiny pieces and add to the bags. Zip the bag closed and mix until you are happy with the proportions.
Some people adds a drop or two of glycerin to the salts to soften your skin. However, anyone who might be using the salts with a Jacuzzi should not use glycerin in the mixture because it would be bad for the Jacuzzi. Others added the food coloring to the salts and they turned out pretty, too. The glycerin and the food coloring will also give the salts a "wet look." Keep the salt mixture in the zippy bag and to mix it around once a day for 2 weeks. Then, we could pour it into the decorated bottles!

Hope this is kind of what you were looking for.

Lynn
Old 09-22-2002, 08:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

There's a great recipe at this website, uses essential oils, sea salt, and almond or other fine oil. They call it "salt glow." I've used it and love it. One suggestion though: after you rinse off, dry with an OLD towel. You'll want to wash it in very hot water with some oxy-clean added. Worth it though. I keep a towel set aside for just this purpose.

Love to all

Gramz

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/self/278
Old 09-22-2002, 11:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky I will be soaking tonight! ... Phew!

Wow. Great recipes! Thanks for sharing. And the Care2 site is a great place. You all should visit them. Thanks for the link. I fell in love with the place. They have EVERYTHING!

I'll be soaking tonight after I take my friend's six year old home. He has ADHD and is driving us up the wall. But our friends needed us to take him. So, we did. I thought my husband was going to kill him an hour ago. But I got him to calm down and understand why he better listen to us. He got the hint after thinking about it on the loveseat for about half an hour with his feet up, not allowed to talk or touch anything. :mad:

Well, he really pulled a good one this time. And it was time out time or someone was going to wind up dead. And since Jim is bigger and stronger, I was afraid the child would be the one dead ... LOL. I stepped in just in time. Phew!

I'll be needing a nice soak tonight! We've had this kid since yesterday early afternoon. WOW!

Later ladies!

LOL ... I just realized how much I rambled. I guess I really needed to vent. While I kept the bath in mind, I had forgotten what thread I was in and just kept typing. Sorry about that.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

gift ides

i found some grea recipes for at home spa partys may have to do this in two repies lemon message oil
1/3c grapeseed,almondoil,or canola oil
1/8ts vitamin e oil
5 drops lemon essential oil
glass bottle with stopper or secure cap
labels if desired add a safety note to all these reecipes= never apply essential oils directly to skin always dilute with another oil or water. consult physician before using essential oils if pregnant or skin sensitive to light.
place oil vitamin e oil and essential oil in bottle seal place label including saftey note on bottle
to use; pour a tbs into hand to warm apply using circular motion.
store remaining oil in cool dark place or fridge. return to room tep before using.

moisturizing facial mask
1 1/2tbs dried rosemary leaves
glass or bottle with stopper or secure cap
1/2 c old fashioned or quick cookin oats
3 tbs finely chopped or ground almonds
plastic container or jar with lid
crumble rosemary with fingers into 1 qt bowl. pour 2 c boiling water over leaves. let stand fifteen minutes or cool strain discard leaves
Old 09-22-2002, 06:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

gift ideas

rest of recipes
2-pour rosemary water into bottle, seal
mix oats almonds in jar and seal.
to use- place oats in bowl add 2 tbs rosemary water, 1 tsp at a time until thick paste forms set aside.
wash face apply warm wet cloth for afew minutes remove cloth gentlt spread mask on face, avoiding eyes and lips. leave on fifteen minutes. wash off with warm wet washcloth.
got a couple more ill send tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

A really good scrub recipe I've come across is to combine equal parts of olive oil, sugar, and salt. A tablespoon of each is more than enough for your hands. This mixture leaves your skin feeling wonderful. Apply lotion afterward. Enjoy!
Old 09-23-2002, 07:08 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Post Bath Sundaes

I make bath sundaes. Use a tall soda glass, long iced tea spoon. Fill glass with Mr. Bubble Bath or any powder bubble bath or bath salts that are pink. Put double stick tape around rim. Press a white nylon net bath scrubbie on to resemble whipped cream. Paint round wood ball red and attach with double faced tape to resemble cherry.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

The bath sundaes are just too cute I believe I will have to give some of them to family members for Christmas this year. Thanks for the idea.