Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My niece is graduating also. My sister is making her a scrapbook. It's mainly about my nieces life, but a few pages in the back for her mother's, grandmother's, and even greatgrandmother's lives. She even has pages for the aunts & uncles. She asked us to each contribute something (a story, recipe, picture.... whatever memory we want to share with her).
Old 04-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My son graduates in May also. During his high school years we have already given him a TV and a laptop and he built his own desktop computer and he drives the car we gave him so we are sorta at a lost as to what to give him now. We are thinking about a family trip up to Washington DC and maybe as far as Niagra Falls and then back home.
We take turns in this game we all play saying where we would like to go before we die and that is the two places he always names. I think it would be a trip he would always remember so if we can get enough money put back that is probably what we will do.

mouse
Old 04-08-2005, 05:41 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My son graduates this year also. He already has most of the things he needs for college, and with 5 kids, we can't afford much. I got a star named after him...it comes with certificate for him, and I was able to put my own message on the certificate...about how he is a bright shining star, and how I know he will make a difference in the world. We are also having a celebration dinner. It's not much, but I hope he will see that we really believe in him.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My daughter graduates this June. We know someone in church that is going to make her a hope chest. I have seen some of his other work and it is just wonderful. He said he will make sure to keep it not to high price. I think she will like this. It is something she can treasure forever. I had a boyfriend in school he made one for me and I still have it. I didn't end up marrying him but I still have the hope chest. It now holds my daughters pictures. And some of the other things I have kept over the years.
I do like the scrapbooking ideas I will have to look at some of her pictures and have them ready. I also like the idea of making things such as dolies and such. I made her a fleece blanket for Chirstmas and she really loved that. I will have to make some of those things for her to put in her hope chest.
Chloe
Old 04-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

hallmomof5 I think that is an excellent idea. It is very thoughful and sweet and something he will remember forever.
mouse
Old 04-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Someone I knew did one of those quilts where you scan pictures on special paper that you iron onto material. They picked out pictures from special childhood times and make a memory quilt.

A charm bracelet with charms commemerating (sp?) special times.

Hope Chest. Used to store special things...can be used as their first coffee table in their own place.
mommy to India, Taylor and Trinity
Old 04-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I was going to sign on here and say LUGGAGE, and I see someone else did. I must echo this, because luggage is something an adult needs and graduation is a celebration of the threshhold of adulthood. My inlaws got my daughter a nice set of rolling luggage; she is now 23 and still using it... my son graduates HS in May, and guess what she is getting for HIM?

Rani
Old 04-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I had gotten a ring for my graduation present and I still treasure it - especially since my Mom passed away. I like the idea of a nice piece of jewellery because it is not usually something we buy for ourselves. I also like the luggage idea if you know your daughter will travel - there's a good chance it will last forever!
Old 04-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Great ideas. The nice thing about graduating is that just about any gift will help you out!!

My parents got me a nice camera. When my brother graduated, they helped fund a trip he went on with some friends.

Other gifts I remember getting or thave heard about:

luggage (already mentioned...great gift)

TV - helps for college

Photo Session - at a place like sears for your daughter and friends to get group pictures together

Jewlery - any kind is always a special gift

A family heirloom
IPod
laptop - very useful for college
a spa day

those are just some ideas...I'll see if I can think of some more!
Old 05-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Forum Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I hope I'm not too late with my suggestion. Make or have someone make her a quilt out of 6" squares and have all her friends and family write something in a square and sign it. She can take it to college with her and have her friends and family right there. Marie in MS