FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Any Occasion Gifts (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/any-occasion-gifts/)
-   -   Gifts for Males (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/any-occasion-gifts/11571-gifts-males.html)

cynstenquist 08-04-2004 01:24 AM

Gifts for Males

Any ideas for handcrafted, handpainted or other gifts for the men in our lives. I've painted pots and jars for their rooms (pencils, candy, keys, etc....) but I need some fresh new ideas and themes. Any ideas?

janieb 08-09-2004 04:26 AM

I'd love some ideas too, since I'm in charge of the craft bazaar at my son's school. We never have enough ideas for dads, granddads, uncles, etc. :confus:

Bilby 08-09-2004 11:03 PM

Something easy I did for a fathers day stall a few years back is drink coasters.
Using unusable cd discs I cut a circle picture to cover the centre hole and half way to edge ( can print off the computer and put dad or grandad on them with their favourite sport or hobby) cover that with clear contact sticky paper/plastic then trim to edges.
Underneath cut a circle of felt a bit smaller than the disc.
We sold these singularly, or for a different occassion like christmas (printed them to) I put them in bundles of 4 or 6 and sold them slightly cheaper.
They all went.

When we had christmas here last year I made a personalised one for each child to take home and use.

AnnaInOhio 08-10-2004 10:50 AM

Aluminum Model Vehicles

I don't know how "craft" expert you all are but here's some ideas I just posted in the recycling forum.

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...threadid=11773

Anna

jb829 08-11-2004 11:00 AM

If you live in an area with chilly winters, men and boys can always use knitted scarves, mittens, hats(tobogans), sweaters, and even thick, warm socks. Where I grew up, the men and boys both wore thick wool socks under their green barn boots for mucking out stalls, feeding, milking, etc.

A friend of mine was having some problems a few years ago, and I made him a wooden plaque: bought an unfinished plaque from a crafts store, *stained* it with watered down brown paint, used a wood-burning tool to accentuate the edges, and then decoupaged a wolf's head on it, and finally, clear-coated it with varnish. It was, forgive my arrogance, drop-dead beautiful!!! He cried when I gave it to him.

Men and boys both like *treasure boxes* of their own...for holding spare change, emptying pockets into, whatever. A cigar box or a wooden box from a crafts store would do the trick...paint or stain it, and then either hand-paint or decoupage it with something that they like...sports logos, fish, animals, whatever.

Another idea for the cd's is to make wind chimes with them. Dearly has made me three, and they make a much deeper sound than the ones I've bought from the stores. We also use them on the carport table as a wax catcher for pillar candles.

AnnaInOhio 08-11-2004 11:07 AM

Baseball Caps

Walmart's sells baseball caps "plain" in the clothing sections of their store for about $2.00. In their fabrics section they sell something called "unique stitch" it is a fabric glue, they also sell iron on patches. I have made the caps with fish glued on, will also be doing bengal tigers, anything manly would work. Total cost including the glue=$6.00

Anna

cynstenquist 08-11-2004 01:27 PM

Gifts for Men

Thank You all! I love the ideas for gifts for the men in our lives. My #4son went to the aluminum can site and went crazy over the idea so guess what we'll be doing?! I love the cd coaster idea - I've painted coasters using terracotta saucers but the CD coasters would be a little larger. I love it. Keep the ideas coming. They are great!

Bilby 08-11-2004 01:39 PM

What's your mans favourite hobby or sport.....
fishing, fill a bucket with the appropriate things of hooks, knife, hand reel, sunscreen etc
Summer sport, a cooler with some sunscreen a hat and anything else to do with that sport can do for winter too, with knitted beanie hats, scarves etc.

My FIL loves crossword puzzles so I get him 2 or 3 books and a biro, yrs ago I bought him a thesaurus....

Readin, itty bitty clip on book light and book mark

All I can think of for now. :typ:

ajrsmom 08-11-2004 08:55 PM

Here are directions on making a no-sew fleece blanket.

http://users.pld.com/rbriggs/blanket.htm You could also make a matching pillow to go with it.

These are easy to make too! You could match them to his favorite color, team, hobby or whatever he would like.

This is nice because it not only looks nice but he can use it too!!

:hearts:

Tami

AnnaInOhio 08-12-2004 04:44 AM

Tami

I think this is the same type blanket my girlfriend made her little girl this spring. She caught the fleece on major clearance and they did this project together. Turned out super cute.

Anna