Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Holidays & Occasions > Occasions > Gift Giving Ideas > Any Occasion Gifts

Old 06-18-2004, 07:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Small gifts to give girlfriends...

Does anyone have ideas of small gifts to give girl friends for various occasions...birthday's, Christmas, just for fun, etc...?

I love to give out gifts often and my budget is getting tighter so the gifts need to be under $5 a person. They don't have to be gift baskets because I've found those get pretty pricy as you get going. I've made bath products for friends, mixes in a jar, and kitchen utensils with fun sayings with them. Anything else you can think of in the past that you have received or given that you loved, especially if it's homemade?
Old 06-18-2004, 07:33 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

here's a hint...i know it may sound a lil dumb...but get some bridal catalogs...they have a bunch of stuff in there for really cheap...like i just found a dolphin bottle opener for $3...after i get married i'm still gonna use the bridal catalogs...they just have neat stuff in there...

but cookies...in a tin...
chocolates in celophane...
if u have kids...get kid prints w/clay...u could make a few of those...
just a few thoughts...
Old 06-18-2004, 07:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
a nice candle and a pretty votive cup

mini bottles of bath spritz ( like 3 different scents) tied together with a pretty bow.

nail polish and lipstick

shop yard and garage sales for books that are in perfect condition--add a pretty bookmark to it---even a nice mug ( another sale find) and some herbal teas.

Homemade mini soaps---The easiest way to do this is to melt down regular store bought soap and pour into molds if you dont want to be bothered with making your own soap. Add these to a pretty towel and washcloth set ---you can get nice sets at most Dollar Stores.

Picture of the 2 of you together doing some memorable. You could decorate a cheap frame to match the picture. Ex: if the 2 of you are at the beach, use shells around the frame.......

Chocolate!! Buy some melthing chocolate and dip pretzels, oreos, Ritz Bits mini PB crackers, cookies.....whatever she would like!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

great ideas.. I am bushed but I will post some ideas here tomorrow after church!

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore
Old 07-18-2004, 10:06 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Flowers

A small bouquet from a shop, grocery store, or your garden, or a single perfect rose.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:20 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

A set of (6 or any number) Handmade greeting cards/notes! I would love that anytime!

Old 08-04-2004, 01:20 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lightbulb Covered books/pens

My friend made up 25 of these for her daughter to give as Christmas gifts. The cost was under $4.00 each.

She took small bound Composition Books (school supplies) and covered with decorative and handmade papers. She added a ribbon for a page marker. She took a pen and covered with coordinating papers.

Mothers were calling her to ask where she bought them. Imagine their delight when she told them she and her DD made each one.

There are papers out there that look like leather, marble, tiles, as well as mulberry, handmade papers, and with just about any theme you can think of. Have fun.

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?
Old 08-04-2004, 05:14 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

cynstenquest, good idea with the covered books! You could also do it with inexpensive photo albums.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:59 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Fanatic

cynstenquist, What kind of papers were used to cover the notebooks?
Was this like a contact paper?
And how did she put them on the pens?

Thanks,

Maryann

Maryann

We learn lessons in the school of suffering
that we can learn in no other way.

Old 08-31-2004, 08:21 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lightbulb Papers to cover books

Maryann, you can use any type of paper you like - I personally would recommend handmade papers, specialty papers (faux leather, faux suedes), mulberry papers, etc. Any fibrous paper that will bend and give. Use a coordinating paper to cover the "spine" of the book so the completed book looks like a journal. My friend used the Xyron machine which lays down a sheet of adhesive on the back (it is very sticky so you have to be careful when laying paper down). I would personnaly recommend Memory Mount - it's a great water-based glue that collage artists use - Another one is Perfect Paper Adhesive. I've used both and they work equally well. Try your local paper/craft stores or try Addicted to Scrapbooking website. If I can find a picture of one, I'll post.

I made a small book using finger painting paper - has a very smooth surface. I sprayed a bunch of shaving cream onto a plate and generously dropped two or three colors of inks (I used reinkers for stamp pads). Take a fork or a skewer and swirl colors together but not to the point it looks muddy. Then lay your paper into the cream (you'll need to get your fingers into this one!) Pull paper up and gently wipe off shaving cream. what you will have is marbelized paper! Then I found a coordinating handmade paper for spine of book, and the inside flaps of book (gives it a more completed look), added a ribbon and carry in my purse. I use it whenever I see an idea I like or want to sketch out an idea or a grocery list. It's small and convenient and cute!

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. (I use to teach stamp/paper arts some years ago and making background papers was my weakness).

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?