Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Announcements & News Keep up to date on everything that goes on here! Plus find tips for NEWBIES!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-29-2002, 05:59 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Re: WHO ~ ME??

Quote:
Originally posted by autumnmum 2002
I just love this site!! In my humble opinion, Amanda has the very best site around. Such friendly family members. It doesn't take long before you get to know some of them. I may live alone, but when I turn on, I have this whole family!
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your super kind words! I'm so glad that everyone is enjoying themselves here, I know I do

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-30-2002, 06:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hello Carol Ann!

Nice to "meet" you! Thank you for your friendly welcome. I don't mind you asking why I moved from Minnesota to England. I fell in love with an Englishman, we got married and I came to live here.

Yes, I like living in England. It's not perfect but there probably isn't such a place anywhere in the world. LOL. Let's see now, compared to Minnesota, the big difference is the climate. Here, we have a temperate climate so the grass is green all year round and there is nearly always something blooming in the garden. Yes, it can get cold sometimes, even down to freezing or below, but the winter is so short compared to Mn. winters. Also, we do occasionally get snow here in the southeastern part of England but it hardly ever amounts to anything. It's usually just flurries or if it stays on the ground, it's about an inch and is gone by the next day. No one has a snow shovel, they just use a broom to sweep it away!! Also, on the same topic, we don't get long, hot summers here. No one has air conditioned houses because it hardly ever gets hot enough to need one! I do miss the sunshine but not the very hot, humid days. I also miss the snow sometimes but not the extremely cold temps! All the rain here gets very depressing but it keeps the country so green. Another big difference is that there are no mosquitos here!! No one has screens on their windows.

I have to say that Britain is beautiful. There is some incredible scenery packed into such a small island. There are mountains, lakes, forests, castles, cathedrals and magnificent historical buildings. Plus, the seaside is never far away. The temperate climate means the gardens flourish. I love gardening (as you do) and I am living in one of the best countries for gardening. It's quite easy to grow just about anything here although I will admit the slugs and snails are a bit of a nuisance (the rain gives them the perfect environment).

I love the British people. I love their sense of humor! The British are very friendly once you get past their natural British reserve. Americans are more out-going and more optimistic. I do miss that.

I also like the pubs, the tea shops, the fetes, the theater, and all the unique customs and traditions. I appreciate the excellent British schools. I think my sons are getting an incredibly good education here.

The things I dislike: the high cost of living (everything is very expensive here and their aren't discount stores like Target); the lack of space so the houses, yards, roads, and shops are all very small; the chronic shortage of doctors, nurses, teachers and police; the NHS (National Health Service) with long waiting lists for even major, life threatening medical problems, and filthy hospitals; litter everywhere, smoking nearly everywhere, and a lack of good, friendly service in restaurants and shops. In fact, the good old fashioned manners you would expect of the British seem to be disappearing altogether.

I could easily write more but it's turning into a book already! LOL. You asked about my interests. Well, besides gardening, I also love reading. I'm a real bookworm!! I also like walking, biking and surfing the net. I like to write as well. Oh, and I love to talk! I'm a real people person.

I'm so happy that I found this website. I feel like I have a whole other "family" now and I can talk anytime.

Tell me more about yourself, please.

Your friend,
Maureen
Old 07-04-2002, 05:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

DH was just looking over my shoulder. He said "good grief, you have over 300 posts. Now I know what you do all day." LOL
Old 07-18-2002, 06:54 PM
Nine Year Member

Do I love this site???? I have a hard time staying away!!! I sneak away during the day and check on things!!! LOL

I love "talking" to all you girls!!! It's the greatest!!!
Old 07-19-2002, 04:16 AM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

danstigerangel ~ welcome to the "dedicated" site!

Jump right in and enjoy yourself ,........
We have 'altered' that word, 'addicted' ~ ~ ~ to a much better word, 'dedicated'.
Drop in anytime, and put your .02 in !!! We surely are the 'gifted' women, of "gab". LOL
See you on all the boards.
Carol Ann
autumnmum 2002
Old 07-22-2002, 05:43 PM
Nine Year Member

autumnmum 2002

WoW ! I can't believe I missed replying here!!!! Anyway....I like dedicated much better, and I love putting my .02 in!!!!!
Old 08-17-2002, 03:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I like the new word...dedicated! I am new here...and haven't talked with many of you yet, but I am loving it so far!! I think this is going to be a good relationship!

Michelle
Old 08-17-2002, 06:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I am not addicted to this site...I just like to check in a couple of times a day to chat with everyone! and I do learn new things so it is a learning experience too!

janet
Old 08-30-2002, 04:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

Sunshine--

When I read you have no mosquitoes in England, and do have good gardening, I was all ready to go over. But, when I read of the shortage of dr.s, nurses, and "filthy" hopitals, I think I'll stay here.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:36 PM
Nine Year Member

Welcome

Glad to meet all you new girls. I have not been a member that long but enjoy meeting people from all parts of the country. Every day we have something different to talk about. Join in our discussions know you will feel welcomed. Sueanne