Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Old 04-13-2004, 08:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Barb, I can understand how you feel. There was a period of time when my son was around 3 that he seemed uncontrollable when were would go anywhere. I would have to take him grocery shopping by myself ( because my DH works at night and would be sleeping) and most of the time it was such a hassle with him. He stopped taking naps at 2 yrs old to make matters worse!

I started going places with him in the morning. It seemed to help a lot, he wasnt as tired and irritable (sp).

We traveled to NY in a car with him then too. We took rest stops so that he could run around. I would suggest taking some of his favorite toys too.

In the end, I hate to say this, but if your vacation isnt kid friendly, I would stay home until he grows out of this stage. ( AND HE WILL!! )

I would be so if my DH would even threaten to leave with my other kid and go without us. I hope that he doesnt do that to you. You dont deserve to be punished for having a young child!!

I know that I didnt offer much advice but I just wanted to let you know that youre not alone!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Barb, my DS was very active as well. Mostly, we went on vacation to the mountains, where he could run and run and run. So, I do understand. He wore me out on most days more so than anything else.

I used to pack my kids a little bag of goodies too, which included toys, paper, colors, snakcs, and drinks. I usually got a couple of new cheap things that I brought out as a surprise when the kids got grumpy. I know this may sound weird, but sometime bought a roll of Scotch tape. It's cheap and the kids love playing with it, especially when they have paper.

When my kids were little, they make un-meltable crayolas. Does anyone know if they still make them and if so, where I can get some? I would love some for my GKs. We bring them from TX to our house in Carlsbad, which is a 2 1/2 drive, one way. Sometime, DH brings them to see me at school in Las Cruces, which is an additonal 3 1/2 hour drive, one way. The 3 yr old is not as good a traveler as her 1 yr old brother.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 07-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Nine Year Member

I remember that I used to massage the girls' legs and behinds because they would get stiff sitting in their car seats. I kept them strapped in and would reach under and give their hips a squeeze or two. It seemed to really help them not fight sitting so much in the car.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 07-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My tricks (and I've needed a lot of them with four kids) are a mix of what some other people have said: try to leave late or at nap time so the kids will sleep, take a goodie bag with new toys (from the dollar store) to keep them amused, bring snacks (maybe even some special things they don't get at home), and take breaks at parks or even just rest stops where we can all get out and play a little. We'll usually bring a Frisbee, soccer ball, jump ropes, and other fun little outdoor toys to use for these opportunities.