Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Old 06-24-2008, 06:51 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

We have played a game using the alphabet. Give each child a sheet of paper with the alphabet on it. Ask them to look for objects that start with that letter and write them down. Or divide the alphabet between the kids.
Name that tune is always a good choice. Hum the tune to songs and keep track of who guesses it correctly. You can give prizes for this game, such as new crayons, a new coloring book, etc.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It's been a long time since my children were small but one thing they liked to play was count the cars, each child would pick a color and they would count how many cars of that color they would see. They also looked for cows and horses and try to count them. We would sing and make up silly songs ( until we got on their dad's nerves) lol. Our son would take action figures and play with them. Our daughter would just color in books. And of course there was the game of how much longer until we get there?
Old 05-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

When I use to do private childcare, the boys and I would take day trips and we would play License Plate Bingo, and we would do them in rounds. First round was the State name (usually top of L.P.), the next round would be the Letters in the plate (starting with 1st of 7), then we would move onto the "motto" (bottom Section of L.P), and Finally, the L.P. color(s).
The only two RULEs were that you could not repeat the called item. So if a player called out California for C, the other (s) could not repeat that state or the round was over, the only exception was stating Carolina - adding the appropriate N or S in its grammatical order. However this state could not be repeat later in the N's and /or S's.
And absolutely no type of documentation of what words were used (typed, written, copied, penned, penciled, PC'd, etc)...all mental.

Another time I would create Picture Bingo cards that the boys could use, and they would have to mark what date, time, place the item was seen / marked on the card. At the end of the trip (week) the one with the most detailed (correct) information picked that days event (or next game).

Sometimes I would tell the boys to pick out items they enjoyed doing singularly and with out fighting over to bring in their backpacks. Noting that they were responsible for everything in their bags (along with a list of the items, their signature, and their parents signature)... anything left in my car and or taken for fighting over was given to their parent to decide the fate of. This way they had individual time, group time, and learning time.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 09-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

lol, years ago it was slugbug, lol...
Old 11-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My kids are grown, but they still like to play this elementary-age-plus word game in the car. It's called "Ghost."

The object of the game is to NOT finish or end any word.
Rule: 1) To qualify, a word must be 4 letters or longer. 2) No takebacks after you've said what your letter is. 3) No proper names.
To play:
~~Establish the order of who goes first, second, etc.
~~Each person, in turn, says a letter.
**If you end a word of 4 or more letters, then you "lose" and gain a G, then H, then O, then S, then T. Then you're out of the game.
~~If you say a letter and the next player can't think of a word with those consective letters and thinks you are bluffing, they say, "I challenge you." If they say a legitimate word (spelled correctly, of course), then the Challenger gets a G or H or O or S or T. But if the player didn't have a word but was bluffing, then the player gets the G or H or O or S or T.

For example:

Player #1 says L
Player #2 says O
Player #3 says V
Player #4 says E
Player #4 lost that round. Even though they may have been thinking of the word "lover," they still lose because they ended a word. So Player #4 gets a G (or H if it's his second loss, etc.)

Another example:
Player #1 says P
Player #2 says S
Player #3 says O
Player #4 can't think of a word that starts with those three letters. He can bluff and add another letter or he can challenge Player #3. Let's say he challenges Player #3. He says to Player #3, "I challenge you!"
Player #3 says "psoriasis"
Now Player #4 gets a letter (G or H or O or S or T).

This is really a lot of fun and I hope to pass along this fun family tradition to other families!

Now that we are all adults we sometimes play Super Ghost, where each player can add a letter after or BEFORE the previous player.
The first person says one letter (no taking back after you've said it).
Old 11-24-2013, 06:56 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

We played this game when we traveled to Va recently.
Maddie chose the subject ANIMALS and started with CAT.
Next person had to use the last letter T, tiger.
Then the next person used R.
You would be amazed at how hard it gets.
We changed the subject to Fruits and Veggies, Cities, etc.
Don't know what the game is called.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I remember when my kids were small, my dd and husband loved music. One of the games they played while listening to the radio to see who could guess the song and who it was by first.

We all loved to play slugbug, and sometimes we would change what kind of car to play the slugbug game, or we used another object to see who could see that object the most.

License Plate on coming up with what each letter could stand for, and who could come up with it first.

alphabet game, each one had to spot something that would start with each letter of the alphabet and how long it took to find it.
another alphabet game we played was giving everyone a sheet with the alpabet letters on it and see who comes up with the most letters.

I remember as a kid when we went somewhere I played the alphabet game with paper all the time by myself, to see which letters I had the most things posted and that letter won. LOL.

We would also play think of a object each person has a chance to guess it to see who could guess it, and then they were it.

The kids could always take one or two things to play with in the car as well.