Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Old 08-13-2002, 06:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Traveling Games/Activities

Does anyone have any great ideas on some good traveling games and activities for toddlers that they seem to love to do?

Thanks!
Jennifer
www.sharingprecioustimes.com
Old 08-13-2002, 11:35 AM
Nine Year Member

jcaton!

Hello!!

I just thought I'd let you know one of the things I did when my dd and ds were toddlers, and I was going on a long trip.

I would bring a cookie sheet and magnets (alphabets, numbers, and other larger magnets) in the car with me. That usually amused them for awhile. We also brought and Etch-A-Sketch with us.

Hope I helped you out a little!!!

Lauri
Old 08-13-2002, 11:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello,

You may also want to check the Amusing the Kids sub-forum here in Family Travel.

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/f...s=&forumid=388
Old 08-17-2002, 03:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

When my sister-in-law had to drive 3 kids (2-5) across the country, each day she would share the experiences from the day before of Charlie the ladybug who supposedly traveled with them. Years later Charlie's adventures are family legend.
Old 08-18-2002, 12:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

travelling with kids

When my ds was younger, we loved to put a cassette in the machine and sing all the words along with the tape (too loudly and out of tune!) Whenever we would go to a little kid's concert, I'd be sure to buy a tape of the music we heard. It would bring back the memories of the event, as well as giving us some new tunes. Now he's 10 and prefers the radio (rap--ugh!) but we still sing along when we can.
Old 08-21-2002, 05:54 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

My three year old loves to play I Spy with my little eye in the car. I never know if I have found the right thing, but she always tells me that I have. We also keep a backpack full of little toys and books in the car so they always have something to play around with. Color Wonder markers and paper are also alot of fun for them and the markers don't color on anythng but the paper! HOpe some of this helps.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

An oldie, but a goodie....

How about license plate bingo? The cards can be made up in mere minutes, with any number of designs....for toddlers who may not be reading state names yet, you could come up with pictures that are seen on many license plates....different animals, mountains, lakes, etc. It's really great because they have to pay so much attention to the cars around them...really gets them going!! Once they've filled up their bingo card, they get a special treat! (This game is especially good for "long hauls", since it takes a while to find all the different types/states license plates! Enjoy!

- Henry Rowland
Old 07-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Travel Games

Travel Games
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Color Hunt

Choose a color and watch out the window for objects of that particular color. Whenever the child sees one, he/she says, "I see an orange (object)!". Try to list ten objects before choosing a new color.
If two or more kids are in the car, they can compete to see who gets ten objects first, or they can cooperate to get ten objects together, with an adult keeping score.

Red Car/Yellow Car
Choose a color and watch for a car of that color. Whoever spots the car first calls out, "(Color) Car!" and then gets to choose a different color for the next car.

Alphabet Hunt
Watch out the window for road signs, billboards, store signs, etc. Children call out the letters of the alphabet, in order starting with A. (Young children will need help with this).

Number Hunt
Watch out the window for number from 1-9, in order.

Scavenger Hunt
This is a good game for long drives. Give child/children lists of things to watch for during the drive. Children can cooperate or compete to see who can find all the items on the lists.
The lists can be made up ahead of time or during the drive, and adjusted for the type of scenery and the age of the children.

Scavenger Hunt Examples:

CITY LIST

Flashing red light
Bus
Sign in a foreign language
Dog
Grocery store
Railroad tracks
Playground
Billboard with child on it
Billboard with cat on it
Police officer

SUBURBS

School
Flashing traffic light
Grocery store
Person on a bicycle
Statue
Church
Playground
Flower garden/snowman
Children
Pickup truck

RURAL LIST

Silo
Railroad tracks
Post office or school
Cows
Dirt road
Pond or lake
Tractor
A fence
Gas station
Horses

TODDLER LIST

Tall building
Lake or pond
Person on a bicycle
Bridge
Red car
Animal
Truck
Stop sign
Store
Person wearing a hat

Cow count
First person to spot a field of cows gets to keep the cows in the field. Count if you can if not guess at how many are in the field. Keep track of each persons cow count. First person to see a cemetery announces "cow loss" and choses a person to eliminate their cows. That person goes back down to zero. First person to see a church doubles their cows. (Cows got married). First person to 500 cows wins!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-19-2003, 06:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oh, the car games for kids is just awesome! I never would have thought of some of these, and my dd (6 going on 16)

will be going on vacation this week. I can't wait to play cow count in the car - except since we're travelling to NH, maybe we can play moose count

Debbie