Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Old 08-18-2009, 11:52 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

When dd1 was in college, about 40 miles from home, I knew about some things along the way, so I would say to Miriam at the time, I'll see McD's before you do, or I'll see Walmart first. we had fun. Some thing I'd see first, other things I let her see them first. Its easiest to do this with stuff they recognize, like the golden arches.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Nine Year Member

Have a safe trip and good luck at the dr's.
Vicky
Old 08-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I agree with the Golden Arches. I have one small problem and that is that I will be traveling with 2 chihuahuas. Maybe I can get some Happy Meals and find a park that the kids can play at and the dogs can stretch their legs, pee, and get something to drink.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 08-19-2009, 05:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

If you have the luxury of adding in some extra time - letterboxing! My kids love it!

Prior to going visit a LB website, my favorite is atlasquest.com. I look at a map to find areas that we'll need to stretch. Like every hour worth of travel. The town area I think I will arrive in an hour I put into the website search and let it give me a certain mile radious.

We went to the coast and my kids HATE traveling. So I had a book on tape play first. After about 40 minutes of listening we had a snack break. Then I opened and read the first lb clues. The kids loved solving the clues. And the actual "find" was thrilling.

I also planned a different route for the way back home so it gave us more lb options. Lots of LBs will give a story behind why it was planted so you might learn some history or other info along the way.

One LB we did in NH took us to a submarine and we toured it through. The LB clues made you take time to imagine what it must have been like in the sub and serving our country in that manner.

When we were back home and I asked the kids to reflect back on our trip (ages 4-11) what was their favorite part of visiting the coast. They all said the lbing!

You've got to try it if you haven't already!

We keep a notebook - designated for our LB travels. We've taken it to IL, FL, NH, ME since starting to LB. We write notes on the page and any fun facts about our adventure for the LB.

During fall folliage time I pull up a route to see the colors and print out some lbs to find - makes the car rides so much more exciting.

Start out by seeing if there are any in your hometown. Happy seeking!

Last edited by ezlivinginvt; 08-19-2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I don't quite understand letterboxing, but it sounds interesting. I am extremely exhausted, so maybe after I am rested I will read the site again and try to figure it out. Thanks!

Old 08-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

DeBora, have a safe trip. Just saw this thread
with your gs being so young, alot of the ideas I have will not work. Some tips
have kid music where they can listen,
play the quiet game at times,
make stops alot, which it seems you are.

again have a safe trip. which way are you traveling? When will you be heading back home?
I will be thinking and praying for you, kids and dogs at the same time.. bless your heart, I hope you don't lose your insanity before it is over with.
Hugs
Old 08-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

BarBar, thank you. I have an appointment in NM at 10:20am. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive. After that, I will have scripts to fill and dogs to pick up as I plan on having our old neighbor watch them for me while we are doing those errands. I am sure it will be after lunch before we are able to leave there and head to OKC. It will be a lot of traveling. I have games, books, stickers, colored pencils, kids' music CD, and several other things. I also have snacks and drinks. We will come back Sunday as school starts on Monday.