Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Old 05-14-2009, 05:11 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

What to do with the kids while traveling?

DD1's wedding is fast approaching.
DD's 2 & 3 are now 11 and 7, how on earth do I entertain them on the trip, as well as keep dh and ds from throttling them?
The girls are going to be so excited to go see big sis, and the wedding, but its the trip to and back that has me concerned.
Last year we took along portable dvd players, that only worked for about 1 hour.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

How long is the drive?

Last year we drove all the way from NJ to Florida for our vacation. Nonstop on the way down! EEEK! Kids ranging from 6 to 16. We did have them watching movies. The older kids also listened to their ipods. And we brought plenty of books, magazines, coloring stuff.

You can get some travel versions of checkers, Boggle, Battleship and other games. That can help your girls pass the time.

My kids also enjoy the "alphabet" game. You need to look out the windows and find words or license plates that begin with the particular letter you are up to. That can keep them busy for quite a while.

Making up a travel Bingo game is also a good thing.

Give the girls each a clipboard with a marker attached. You can print out travel Bingo, search-a-word puzzles, mazes, etc. You can also print the Mapquest map of your route and let them look for towns, etc along the way.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:59 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

Actuall I have no clue how long the drive is. We are going from Gbg PA to Baltimore. More than 4 hours I'm sure. They are usually good unless they are tired or hungry. Which seems to be the whole trip. LOL. I've already threatened them with me riding with somone else and them being stuck with dad their dad the whole way. That just might be the ticket, LOL. Aren't I awful?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

You can use their lunchboxes from school to hold some car-friendly snacks...baggies of dry cereal, crackers, granola bars, anything that won't MELT...
Old 05-14-2009, 08:15 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

Although this is irrelevant to the thread I had to share this -
WE were putting together the favor boxes for dd1's bridal shower. Maddie was putting irridesent easter grass in them and Miriam was to open the bag of wrapped mints and put in them. Well, being the tweo of them they started fighting over who was to do what. Miriam said she quit heloing. So I took the bagof mints and said You have to help, you are a bridesmaid, you are to help plan this things. She got mad and said fine give me the stupid mints. I took a handful of mints out of the bag and tossed them at her, then did it again. Soon we were throwing them all over the room. She was so mad at me for doing that to her, but she got over it.
I can see dh driving the turnpike and the three of us having a food fight in the car. .
Old 06-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Here is a link to a website where you can make crossword puzzles, word searches, mazes, etc. Personalize the puzzles to fit each child.

Welcome to Discovery Education's Puzzlemaker! Create crossword puzzles, word searches, mazes, and other puzzles for your classroom today!

Here's another link that takes you to a site that has printable car bingo games, how to make a cootie catcher, creating a travel journal for kids, scavenger hunts for road trips, and much more!

MomsMinivan.com - 101 Car Games, Travel Games and Road Trip Games for Kids -- Printable Road Trip Activities

This link has road trip boredom busters.

Road Trip Boredom Busters

You can also see if your local library has books with things to do while traveling. Check out some audio books that the kids would enjoy listening to on the road. Check out some silly CD's that you can all sing to.

Make sure that each child has their pillow and a small blanket so that they can nap if they want to. Definitely pack some snack foods and water bottles - grapes, bananas, bagels, crackers & cheese, candy, gum, etc. - some special things that they don't normally get.

Cut some copy paper in half and then staple them together. Pack crayons, colored pencils, and/or markers and have the kids create a book. Have them make/draw something for their sister who is getting married.

I hope that this helps and that you have a great trip!

"My children are not responsible for my personal happiness. If they are noisy or tired, it is inconvenient only if I make it so." ~ Celia Straus
Old 06-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
There are some great ideas here!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-01-2012, 04:03 AM
Forum Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Interesting ideas for children - draw step-by-step
Please, see pictures of my daughter and son

Anna12, please check with an administrator before posting any links. If an administrator okays it, then you are all set.
Attached Images

Last edited by Coll; 10-01-2012 at 05:38 AM.