Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Old 04-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Dining Out with Kids

Thought I'd toss this out there to see what everyone thinks!

Last night we were at a local restaurant. The people at the next table had a toddler with them. They brought a portable DVD player and had a movie on for the little one to watch while she waited for her dinner and then while she ate it.

So what do you think? Would you bring a movie player to a restaurant to amuse your child? What do you bring to restaurants to keep your child busy?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Barb at white house restaurants here in canada they actually have family tables set up with a small tv that you can change the channel on.....I had never seen them until I was west and my SIL took me out for dinner...She only goes there with her boys. We used to bring books or small toys when the kids were small....They were always well behaved as we started taking them out when they were really young.....

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 04-24-2009, 07:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

i take my ipod with us. i also have a splitter for the headphones. that way my girls can watch a movie on it and both hear at the same time. i also keep a tiny set of uno cards, playing cards, match, old maid and fish in my purse they are the size of a closed pack of stamps, and they love to play them at places. i got them on clearance at walmart, they are usually used to put in treat bags at birthday parties, but i love them for this.

hope that helps some..

Ericka

http://ehale.avonrepresentative.com/
Old 04-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ok maybe it is just me, but I am not on the bandwagon for bringing a portable Dvd player to a resturant.
I did have quite toys (books, colors & paper, etc.) in my purse when my children were young and let them use them if we had a long wait. Sometimes we woud do some fingerplays to pass the time.
In my opinion it is a good time to talk together and teach your children how to wait. Everything today seems to come so fast and we don't know how to wait. Our children are also growing up expecting to be entertained all the time and don't know how to entertain themselves.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy
Ok maybe it is just me, but I am not on the bandwagon for bringing a portable Dvd player to a resturant.
I did have quite toys (books, colors & paper, etc.) in my purse when my children were young and let them use them if we had a long wait. Sometimes we woud do some fingerplays to pass the time.
In my opinion it is a good time to talk together and teach your children how to wait. Everything today seems to come so fast and we don't know how to wait. Our children are also growing up expecting to be entertained all the time and don't know how to entertain themselves.
Oh, Joy, I was trying to think of a nice way to say exactly what you said. I totally agree with you! My kids have been expected to behave in restaurants since they were very young. Don't get me wrong, they have meltdowns like other kids but that's when we act as parents and deal with the situation--even removing them from the restaurant until the meltdown is over, if needed.

Thanks for saying this in a nice way!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks Tami.
Teaching your child good manners begins very young and with little things.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I agree about the movie in the restaurant. This was a TODDLER--under 2! I was really surprised to see it.

We have let the kids take game boys but that is only for while we wait. When there is food on the table the games go away. I don't even like to do that but DH won that battle.

Otherwise we bring paper and crayons, or if there are placemats the kids can draw on those. We might play the "dot game" with them or tic-tac-toe. If caught with nothing at all, "I spy" would always work.

My feeling is that if a child THAT YOUNG expects to be entertained by TV all the time, it's going to be a rough road for her parents and teachers.

(And now that the kids get older, we make them turn off their cell phones when we enter the restaurant. No texting at the table!)
Old 04-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We play tic tac toe sometimes.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm with Joy.
Granted we do not have children, but we have plenty of nieces and nephews who have always been "fine" with using pens/crayons and placemats to stay occupied when mom/dad were not around. Unfortunately some parents and restaurants are tired of having to deal with child behaviors so they would rather give in and let society pay for the mis-guided behaviors later then curb them now. Which is really rather sad for the child (ren) in the long run because they do not learn to be patient, nor are they capable of handling stressful situations... these children tend to get sick often (as in vomiting) and have troubles sleeping through the night. Some may even have short / stubby / weak finger nails (from constant biting). I know these signs from one of my nephews who is in his mid-teens and was allowed to play with /watch an electronical device from age five to present time. Even after we tell his parents not to include electrical devices in his bags when he comes to visit, magically one appears in his hands five minutes after he walks through the door, talking with him consists of "I don't know" or grunts...
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 04-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Assistant Moderator

No I'd never take one to a restaurant.
Pencils or crayons and a colour book or paper.
If all of us are going out to dinner I look at that as family time so we interact as a family.
Now that the kids are older no pencils etc but we have conversation at the table like we do at home. I sometimes think the art of conversation is lost in all these electronic times.
If we are waiting at the Doc or know there will be a line anywhere then they can bring the iPod or DS game.

TV/DVD to a restaurant no.