Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Old 07-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyJoy1086
My kids are now 13 and 161/2. We are planning on taking them to Walt Disney World in October and I don't know how the trip is going to be this time. They can't even go a mile without fighting. It's a shame that cars aren't equipped with walls in the middle of the seats for kids. It would make all of our trips better....
For trips with my teenagers, we let them take their walkmans/discmans and their own music. This kept them preoccupied for most of the time. The rest of the time they would usually sleep (but then we were always leaving at 6am). They would also take their Gameboys and games and play them.

For the younger kids, how about covering a piece of cardboard (maybe about 12" square), with felt and then they can have a feltboard to play with. You could do educational things with it - like match the letter with the word it begins with - or something simple like a felt Mister Potatohead, with a simple shape face with different eyes, noses, mouths, ears, hair, and accessories to put on it. The ideas are only limited by your imagination.

"My children are not responsible for my personal happiness. If they are noisy or tired, it is inconvenient only if I make it so." ~ Celia Straus
Old 11-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We Play Red Light Green Light,simon Say,mother May I

Old 11-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

"I spy", the license plate game where you try to find all 50 states (depending on how far your drive is), Connect 4 is good too because it doesnt spill (just keep the chips in a ziploc.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:33 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

Whenever we are going to be in the car for a long time we play double truck. All you do is count the tractor trailers that have 2 trailers on them. Let the older kid keep the score of how many you see. The younger ones can spot them. But no "calling" them until they pass you.
If we are going somewhere that is familiar I'll say I bet I see McDonald's before Maddie. (or whatever you know you'll be coming to soon).

Coll
Old 07-26-2006, 04:57 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

More fun with letters

Someone mentioned the alphabet game where you try to find letters on billboards. That's a great one, but another one I do with my kids is a sort of alphabet/memory game.

We usually start it with "I'm going to the store" or "I'm packing for a trip." So the first person would start by saying "I'm going to the store to buy apples."

Then the second person says, "I'm going to the store to buy apples and barbecue sauce." The third person might say, "I'm going to the store to buy apples, barbecue sauce and chicken."

You get the idea. Each person has to say the whole list and add an item with the next letter of the alphabet. It's a good challenge for everyone!

I love the license plate game, too. It's a good way to test if your kids know all the states!

Joanne
[Edited by Assistant Administrator. Please do not add your website to the main body of any post. This is considered spam at FC. You are more than welcome to add it to your signature line. If you have any questions, please contact ajrsmom. Thanks!" ]
Old 07-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Nine Year Member

My kids played a game they made up called MOSQUITO. One person is the mosquito and the other is the victim. There are actually RULES for this game so it doesn't get out of hand. They would play for hours and only once in 4 years did someone cry. I guess you have to have two kids who play on the honor system although I will say the one kid is pretty saucy. She was always the beginning mosquito. The other, the oldest, began as the victim hand and swatter. It came complete with sounds (buzzing, whack, etc).

1. One person holds their hand in a fist in their lap.
2. The other person is the pointer finger, the mosquito.
3. The mosquito tries to sting the fist.
4. The person with the fist uses their other hand to slap the mosquito.
5. If the mosquito gets slapped then you switch sides.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Last edited by ellenmelon; 07-26-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

amusing the kids on trips

When my kids were we played all sort of games like see how meny cars have N.C plates and so forth

Old 07-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thumbs up amusing the kids on trips

Whenever we take trips, we play the spelling game!! I choose a word and then choose a child to spell it!! Not only do the kids think that it's fun to see how many they can spell right, it also improves their spelling skills!! My son who just turned 20 was so excited when he was able to spell pnemonia!! Now my daughter who is 8 can spell almost ANY dog name!! She is a wonderful reader as well!! She will be in 3rd grade and is reading at a 7th grade level!!
Old 07-15-2007, 07:52 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

That mosquito game sounds like fun.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Assistant Moderator

I've never had a problem keeping the 2 boys amused in the car on long driving trips for holidays.
This year in Sept we will be going down south and our first days drive will be nearly 11 hours, not a problem usually but this year will be the first holiday we take without ds1 as, he will be 18 and he works full time, no holiday time up yet (g'ma) will be staying home with him.
So for us keeping one 13.5 year old will be interesting as the boys usually keep each other company.

Any hints for 1 teen travelling, it had to happen eventually LOL