Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Holidays & Occasions > Holidays > Halloween > Alternative Party Ideas

Old 10-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Fall Party Ideas

***printed from FamilyCorner.com

Fall Party Ideas
by Barbara Thomas

Many parents are opting for Halloween or Fall parties as an alternative to trick-or-treating. But how do you keep all those kids safely and happily occupied for a few hours? These are some simple, easy to manage games and activities that will make your party memorable and fun. The games cover a wide age range, choose the ones that best fit the ages and temperaments of your guests.

Thinking Games

GUESS HOW MANY
Fill a jar with candy corn or miniature marshmallows and have guests guess how many are in the jar. This is a good game to play at the beginning of the party, as guests filter in.

MEMORY GAME
Put a few theme-appropriate items (an apple, a piece of candy, a leaf, etc.) on a tray. Show the tray to the guests for a few seconds, then have guests write down (or call out) as many items as they remember.

HOW MANY WORDS
...can you make from HALLOWEEN or SCARECROW.

Physical Fun

POPCORN RELAY RACE
Set out bowls full of popcorn at one end of the room, empty bowls at another. Teams must transport the popcorn from full bowl to empty, using a measuring cup. This is a messy game - plan it for the end of the party! (Note: popcorn is a choking hazard for children under three).

COTTON BALL SCOOP
Fill large mixing bowls with cotton balls and give each guest a spoon. Kids must scoop out as many cotton balls as possible in one minute - without using fingers!

PIN THE...
...Nose on the Jack-o-Lantern, Stem-on-the-Apple, Hat-on-the-Scarecrow, or whatever variation best suits your party theme.

Arts And Crafts

PAINTS
Finger or sponge-paint with fall colors, or black and orange. Guests can make a tablecloth or placemats for the party, or pictures to take home.

COLLAGES
Guests can make collages of fall leaves, pictures from magazines that relate to your party theme.

PICTURE FRAMES
Buy clear plastic frames, or make you own from craft sticks, and have guests decorate the frames with paper, paints, cutouts, and other craft items. Take a Polaroid of the guests when they arrive and the photo and frame are a great gift.

Odds And Ends

DANCE
Young children love to dance; pop in a Sesame Street tape and let them go!

PARADE
If your guests come in costume, have a costume parade throughout the house.

GHOST STORIES
If your guests are older (nine and up) have them create a ghost story. Dim the lights and sit guests in a circle. The host(ess) holds a flashlight and begins the story. At an exciting or pivotal moment in the tale, pass the flashlight to the next person to carry on the story.

More You Might Like:
Creative Costumes for Halloween
Fall Coloring Pages
Halloween Craft Ideas
More Halloween Features

About the Author:
Barbara Thomas is a work-at-home-mom to Natalie, age 2. She is a freelance writer and owner of The Professional Pen Business Writing Services. Her website provides writing tips and small business advice to small and home-based businesses. Some items in this article were adapted by FamilyCorner.com Magazine.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Bump

Old 09-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
With so many schools having fall festivals instead of Halloween parties, there's some good ideas in this article that would fit in.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-12-2012, 08:22 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

BUMPIN UP

Need ideas for a calendar party.
My sister drew September so I was thinking a back to school theme for her table.
Any ideas for the tablescape?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hmm First I need to get my shelves rearranged and put up the Summer stuff, which is easy (not much of it). Then @:-)

Apples, Pumpkins and baking breads! I have a leaf garland (Dollar Tree special) I need to string across the top of the windows (curtains) and put my Fall stuff out. Change out the air fresheners with Apple cinnamon. change out the flowers to Fall colors (I got some at off season sale) I have scarecrows and harvest stuff. May take me a few days as I'm slow, but it's finally cooling down enough I can BAKE! Which means I can start on what I'm baking for Thanksgiving and Christmas! @:-)
Old 09-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

some ideas that I can use, tks.
I'm planning a RED Hat Party at Golden Corral, and needed some ideas for the ladies to do.
I love how many words can you find, but that never inter my mind.
cotton balls would be cute as we sit at the table to do.
I had already been playing around if I wanted to do the do the pin the scarecrow or ???.

I did find another cute game as I was in the seach of finding ideas.
I ran across
Put the pieces together
if it a scarecrow, skelton, cut it apart, put it into a container,
then during the game, everyone draws a
part and had to attach it to the figure, in the fashion of the number you are when you draw it.

for example the first person may draw a hand, well there is no arm, or anything else but just a hand, they have to attach that to the board.
next person draws and drew a foot, they have to put it on the board, will
it be connected to the hand or down close to the bottom of the board.
3rd person draws, they draw a neck, now where will it go.. in the end
will it all be connected, and in what way.. It could turn out to be funny, nonsense, in order, and see what you create.