Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-17-2002, 06:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
chuckle My experience with Wives Tales

During my pregnancy & up until the very end of it, I carried my baby very high. I had numerous people tell me that they were sure I was having a girl........

I also had the worst heatburn throughout the months that you could ever imagine. With this news, I was told I was having a baby that would have a great head of hair.......hee hee !!

I had a beautiful baby boy that was practically bald !!

I forgot one thing...... He had hiccups from the days he was possibly old enough to have them inside me. A lot of people thought this was strange. I had so many people tell me to take it easy and that I was putting stress on the baby and thats why he had hiccups all of the time. Well, he is 4 1/2 now and when he is going through a growth spurt, he still gets hiccups !! Always has..... Im curious to see when this will stop.

BTW, working had nothing to do with him hicupping. At the time, I was a manager of a gas station so I talked to many people who, of course, offered their opinions. Just proves.....listen to everything but dont believe everything you hear.

Anyone else ????????
Old 08-10-2002, 05:59 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hiccups

My daughter had them ALL the time in utero and then ALL the time after she was born. She still gets them frequently (she's 2 today!!) but now she just says "Mommy, I ave iccyups"
Doesn't seem to bother her that much, in fact I remember reading somewhere that hiccups don't bother babies like they bother adults. Don't know how old they have to be until they are bothered??
Old 09-22-2002, 09:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Wives Tales.....

I LOVE WIVES TALES, THEY DRIVE MY DH UP THE WALL...LOL

The heart burn one = ots of hair
Clip their nails = and they will become thieves
Cats can steal the air from a baby's mouth.....( ya if he is laying on his head...lol)

Some of these are sooooo funny, here is some more...

http://kidshealth.org/parent/positiv..._tales_p2.html

Here's a test to find out the sex of your baby.....

http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/oldwivestales/

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND, AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE
Old 01-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh, the one my Mom told me was night to put your heads over your head. I used to play volleyball with my husband some times and after I was pregnant she acted like I couldn't as in her book you weren't supposed to put your hands above your heads. Not sure who started that one but I thought it ridiculous and didn't believe it and of course you know I was right and Mom was wrong in that instance. My Mom is a southern woman and had lot of those old wives tales she would tell me when I was pregnant even the one about the cat stealing a child's breath.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I didn't have cats at the time but I was told of that, too.

I can't wait to check out that website again.

Thanks for renewing this thread. It brought back some good memories.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 01-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I had one cat at the time she said the thing about the cats. It is always so neat to relive old memories. Glad I made you want to look at the old website. Hope you have a great day, it is so much fun to think back on some good memories from the past.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

i had heartburn MOST of the time while pregnant with my daughter 22 years ago. my mother in law told me that the baby would have a head full of hair. she came out slicker than an onion.
i did carry her high, and my mother told me that usually meant a girl, which was true. i carried both of mine different. from behind, you couldn't tell i was pregnant with my daughter, she was high and i was all belly, but you could when i pregnant with my son. i gained in my hips, like a pear.there are 12 years difference between them, so i'm not sure how much of that was my age (lol).
Old 01-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

i almost forgot this....my mother in law also told me not to pick up anything above my waist and not to reach over my head because it would wrap the cord around the baby's neck. i thought "plfff, yeah right". i worked in a bakery at the time, and had a boss that insisted on making me and another girl work a frozen food delivery day. she always bragged about how she unloaded trucks and put up frozen food when she was pregnant-she conveniently forgot to include that she had been carrying twins and delivered on one live. the other died in uetero. anyway, the other girl refused to put up any of our frozen delivery on the day that she worked because she had miscarried several times before, but i am easily pushed around i guess, so i put it up on the day that i worked. i did use a chair to climb on so i wasn't reaching over my head, but some of the boxes were 40 lbs that i was picking up. to make it short, my daughter never crowned, because the cord was wrapped around my her head 3 times, and after every contraction, it would pull her back up. they had to use forceps. needless to say, with my son, my husband refused to even let me carry in an 8lb gallon of milk!!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Assistant Moderator

Both my kids were big huccupers before they were born, I never had any feed back on that one. I'm not a heart burn person didn't have that.

I did carry low and mum swore that wasy boys.
I had salty cravings was told that was boys and they were, but that was pretty much it I think ...... either that or I just tuned out LOL

Old 01-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I was told the same things that you were all told, so when my DD was Pregent for the 1st time I didnt want to scare her She came and told me what some people told her and I said ask your DR. and dont belive any thing that he dont tellyou.