Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > All About School Ideas & Information

Old 02-10-2004, 04:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

School Bus Safety

My kids attend Catholic school but our town provides us with a bus, which we share with another school. So not all the kids on the bus are from the same school.

My kids have been reporting increased "trouble" on the bus. Mainly it's kids being territorial, threatening others if they sit in "their" sections. But my son has also been pushed and shoved because they wanted food he was carrying.

The kids say the bus driver does nothing.

I'm not sure whom I should speak to about this problem. For the moment I told my kids to stay away from where these kids sit. There are plenty of empty seats on the bus, so they can sit somewhere else. But I don't think the bullying should continue.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Have you tried talking to the school princpal? He/she can probably give you at least a good starting place.

DD's driver is the opposite, she came home in tears the 1st day having never ridden on one to school before. This lady yells all the time and at times over strict. She does put the trouble makers in their place though and will stop the bus if anyone makes trouble. She drove back to school once to drop off a bratty girl who thought her poop didn't stink. She causes problems every day so the kids were happy to see her go.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:13 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Definitely speak to the principal and request that he/she speak to the principal of the other school, as well. Then contact the director of transportation(bus garage, most likely) and report to them, as well. The driver's job is to make sure the kids are safe, even from each other!! I know it can be a dangerous situation(my bus driver was stabbed 14 times while trying to break up a fight in when I was in 6th grade!!) but something needs to be done before the situation escalates.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

eeeeeK !! That's bad. I am already worry-ing about putting my 5 yo ds on the bus next school year. I would definitly speak to all possible officials & keep going back or calling back until something is done. I wish all school busses would have the cameras on them. I think it would help the situation. At least we are in a small town, the elementary principal goes to my church. I also plan to get at least aquainted with the bus driver & hope to figure out an older kid I can ask to keep an eye on my "little baby." He won't ride the bus much at first, but we live 15 miles from town & that is too much driving (60 miles a day) to keep up.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

school bus

My husband is a school bus driver and his route is in a let's say not so great area of our town. He is great with the kids and can feel when things are tense on the bus from experiance...PLEASE go to the bus garage supervisor not the principal of the school. Go to the source!!!!!Good luck...
ERin
Old 02-23-2004, 06:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

So, Barb, How did tings shape up?

Any better on the Bus?

Val
Old 02-23-2004, 07:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Bus is ok....I have not called anyone but if I do it will be the transportation office since more than 1 school is involved, and the other principal will not help me, I am sure of that.

But I told the kids to leave the troublemakers alone and to sit away from them. Plenty of room on this bus, so they leave an empty row between themselves and these girls, and everything is fine.

Next hint of a problem, I make a phone call.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:03 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm so glad things are calming down. For now, anyway. If there is a problem that needs the principal, request that he be the one to contact the other school. I agree that you should call the transportation office first unless things get violent. You'd be amazed at the power of assigned seats lol!!
Old 03-25-2004, 04:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My kids got off the bus yesterday and reported that the girls were once again hitting my son. He has been told not to hit girls so he did not retaliate. But he spent the 15 minutes on the bus being hit. Driver did nothing. So I called the transportation office and they are going to watch the video of the bus ride. Someone is supposed to call me back today. I am going to find out what measures they take when kids break the bus rules and insist that something get done.
One of the girls in question is from a different school and there is a good deal of rancor between the schools right now, so I know I won't get any cooperation from the other school's principal whether I approach her or my principal does. So I went right to the bus office.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good for you, Barb! I'm glad that someone is doing something about it! How awful for your son to feel like he has to be a "punching bag" to these bullies.. How dare they hide behind their gender. You're ot supposed to hit a lady.. but these girls are no "ladies" He shouldn't have to take crap from any kid without defending himself.. Well that's my opinion, and I'm sorry to sound preachy.. ..OK Stepping off the soapbox.. lol...

And don't forget.. filing a harrasment (or even assault ) complaint against these girls will really get their attention... You don't have to file charges with the District Attourney.. just with the police department. Then there is no criminal record.. just a police file.

It could get the girls banned from the bus, and ordered not to go near your son. But it will certainly get the school's and their parent's attention.

My daughter did something similar with a boy at her school who was sending her threstening e-mails and bothering her on the bus. She filed a harrasment complaint with the Resource OFficer at her school The kid is not allowed to approach her, or speak to her or be withinn a certain proximity of her on the bus. He'll be charged with a crime if he violates the restrictions.

She felt very empowered by doing that. She doesn't feel like a victim anymore.

Ok now REALLY stepping off the soapbox LOLLOL!

Val