Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > All About School Ideas & Information

View Poll Results: What's your opinion on President Obama addressing children in school via web casts?
I'm ok with it 11 40.74%
I don't think that it should be shown in schools but my child will watch it 2 7.41%
My child will not be watching it 3 11.11%
Our school has chosen not to show it 2 7.41%
other.... 9 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2009, 02:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
What's your opinion on President Obama addressing children in school via web casts?

Next Tuesday President Barack Obama will address the nation's school children via an in-school webcast. This is not a mandatory program, but he is asking school districts throughout the country to participate.

From what I've read, most schools are offering an "opt out" to not listen to it if they choose. Some schools are showing it to kids only if they bring permission slips while other schools are showing it but allowing kids to go to another room in the school if they choose not to watch it.

How do you feel about this?

I've made this a multiple choice poll in case you feel differently about different aged kids seeing it. Please let us know.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Last edited by ajrsmom; 09-04-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I doubt that my kids' school will show it, as it is the first day of school and they do not attend public school.

However, I don't believe that school is the venue for the President to address children. I would prefer that he did so through an evening TV address so that parents could watch it with their children and provide their children with a discussion of the topics. As a former teacher in public schools, I am well aware that the teachers' unions are very powerful and also politically aligned with the President. So frankly, I do not trust public-school teachers to lead a critical discussion of any message that might be presented.

Finally, I believe that our elected officials need to do less talking AT us and more listening TO us. I feel that this public address of school children is nothing more than an attempt to get the children on the side of the President--and to get TO the children without their parents' participation.

If my children did attend schools where this was presented, I would not permit them to participate.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm waiting to hear whether or not my daughter's elem. school will show it. Although it's a public school, they tend to bring religious views into play quite often...especially where the holidays and the president are concerned. It's a small town school and they try to stay out of the lime light so I'm thinking that they might not show it. That's fine by me because I don't think that 1st graders are old enough to understand it any way - but 5th graders, I'm not sure how I would feel about that.

I'm not sure what they will do in the middle school. I don't mind my son watching it. He is very opinionated at his age so I'm interested to hear what he has to say.

If we don't get any notification today about it, I will ask my kids' teacher about it on Monday. I'd like to be at the school when it is aired.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 09-04-2009, 04:34 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have to say that I agree with Barb. My kids are grown, but this seriously bothers me.

Last edited by jjoj; 09-04-2009 at 04:38 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

My kids are grown but I too think it's inapropriate for the Pres. to even address the children.
It should be to the whole families.
He's not the boss of me.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

York County schools are taping it and MAY show it later but parents have the option of their children watching or not. Had they shown it on the 8th Steven would not be going to school. I personally don't even want to see it.
Trying to get our children to listen to him rather than parents is not right. And Barbszy you are right some teachers are so that way
Old 09-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We received an email from the middle school principal today. She said that she would allow only social studies teachers to show the webcast IF they could show that it fit into their curriculum and then only IF and WHEN each child had written permission to see it. No word yet if Andy will be seeing it since he is home sick today.

Let's see what my daughter brings home for us.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 09-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Contest Moderator
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I dont have kids in school, but if I did, I am fine with it. I do think it should be age appropriate, & optional. I think if they do it in the auditorium and have a parent attend, & watch with the kids that would great. They could have Q&A afterwards. Make it a learning experience! (IT IS SCHOOL!)

With that said, if it was our last President, I would not want my child to hear a thing he had to say, so maybe its a partison issue as well? But that is not my call....

Depending on the child's maturity level, IQ, level of interest, knowledge is power. I want my child to be as worldly as possible, regardless of whether or not they (or myself) likes the president in the seat at the time. I dont want to influence my child's politcal choice (nor did or have I done so). It's very personal. I did not try to make Aly into a little Jodi.

This is an interesting topic. Looking forward to how this all plays out.

J~
Old 09-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy face

As far as I know, President Obama will be talking about the value of education and a "stay in school" message. I feel that this is fine non-partisan message and appropriate whether or not someone is a republican, democrat, other, etc. President Obama is the president of all of us, including children, and I feel that it might be very empowering to minors to hear an address by the President of the United States directed just to them. They need to know that they are part of the process of this country. Of course, I'm talking about children older than elementary school ages. I don't feel that very young children are an appropriate audience for a formal talk. I also feel that is a great idea for students and teachers to discuss the pros and cons of the President's talk in an open forum after it concludes. Again, letting young people know that they are valued and their opinions are valued is a wonderful concept that we should embrace!
Old 09-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Contest Moderator
FamilyCorner Fanatic

"Again, letting young people know that they are valued and their opinions are valued is a wonderful concept that we should embrace"!

Wow. I'm choked up. Right on Sue.

J~