Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > All About School Ideas & Information

Old 01-31-2008, 07:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It is -49, school or no school?

Hi, It is -49 again, been happening a lot this year, and I am again pondering, school or no school for my elementary child. The school buses stop running at -45 as it is too cold for a child to wait outside more than 4 minutes without frostbite. The schools are open and the teachers must show up. Those children who walk or are driven are expected to show up too.

My question is, would you send your child to school after -45? Do you want to start your car and scrape those windsheilds? It is a dilemma.

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I would think it would be dangerous for anyone to be out in those temps . . . even if a teacher were driving to school and breaks down, they would have an uncomfortable wait.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Although the temps here are not -49 usually, we do get plenty of sub-zero weather and usually with wind making it feel colder. Our school often have a 2 hour late start on those days.
It would be a hard decision to make. I would hope you would able to warm your car up first if you did have to take the kids to school. It might also depend on how long of a drive you have to get to school. Our school is 10 miles from our house. I think if it was that cold I might be tempted to stay home.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

If they don't expect the buses to run, how can they expect anyone else to get there? That is DANGEROUS!

If you can't be outside more than 4 minutes without frostbite, how can a child walk to school?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have to say that, that type of cold is really inconcievable to me, not that it can't be, just that I've never been anywhere where it's been that cold we don't have that here at all.

Stay warm , be careful and I agree if the buses don't run how can the kids be expected to attend school safely?

Old 02-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

At that temperature I would be staying home and call the school and just excuse the kids as staying home because of the weather. My son walks at least 2 miles to school and When it was 9* I had him stay home and called. They just excused him since I called.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It is one thing with the school system here that I don't get. When I was a kid, we had snow days, but not anymore. She is lucky that I have to drive. I start the car and let it run for 15 min or so before we can go. I like the idea of a 2 hour later start, I can see how that would work well.
I guess all this makes one tough? It was around -27 today and it almost felt like spring!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

When the weather is that cold out I heat the truck up and srive the kids up to school.We have had some pretty cold temps close to that and we still have school.I know you do have to be careful to make sure the buses can run when it is that cold out though.
Mish
Old 02-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm assuming that all schools in that amount of cold have heating? What happens to all the winter outerwear the kids wear to school, must be plenty of space.
Please indulge me here, never had that amount of cold to know any better LOL

Old 02-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

For me our school is heated.When it is that cold outside they have recess inside the builings.Most of the kids are good about wearing pants shirts with snowpants hats and gloves.Boots at my dds school they have to on to play in the snow.Otherwise they have to play on the side.The blacked top area.

Mish