Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > All About School Ideas & Information

Old 03-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Electives for High School Students

This time of year, high school students are making their course selections for next year.

There are always the required courses, but some room for student choice with electives.

How much latitude do you, the parent, allow your high-schooler when choosing among electives?
Old 03-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My son (a freshman this year) has listed his chosen courses for next year. He must take English, Geometry, Phys Ed, Religion, History, Science and Spanish. He has one more slot to fill and had many choices of electives. He had to put them in order of first choice to last.

His first two choices were Mythology and Creative Writing. After that came (I don't remember the order here) Computer Programming, Psychology and some other computer class.

DH seemed disappointed that DS didn't have the computer science classes higher on the list. He wasn't too keen on the idea of Creative Writing. But DS is a fantastic writer. He is very good at writing short fiction. I think it would be a great opportunity for him to hone that skill.

Ultimately we left the choice up to him. And a lot will depend on whether the class is still open when his registration is run through the computer. (Last name starts with S, so if it's done alphabetically, he's sunk!)
Old 03-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb hope it works out that your son gets the class he wants.Dd will more than likely go for Drama class as she loves it but was unable to take it this year as she was in danceline which took up alot of her time ,she did like the dancing part though. I've try to get her to take choir as she can really sing well.She took a computer class this year ,so will take something different next year.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My DD is in 9th this year. My DS is in 12th. We have always let the boys pick their own electives and the same with DD. We figure the electives are for them to explore something they are interested in. DS1 picked mostly computer classes throughout high school adding one or two extra math and science classes as his electives. DS2 picked business classes all through high school and actually just got back from an FBLA state competition where he won 1st place and will go on to the National competition in Chicago in June.
DD took drama and computers this year and has signed up for ROTC as her elective for next year. Her second choice is Cosmotology and 3rd choice is another computer class. But I am hoping she gets the ROTC as I feel it will be good for her.

mouse
Old 03-21-2007, 05:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have left the decision of electives up to the kids for the most part. They might have ask for my opinion from time to time, but for the most part have made very good decisions. I too feel it is a time to explore. I have had kids who have chosen a completely different path by the way an elective course has worked or not worked for them.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:23 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Electives for High School Students

I hope that this will count. My Great Grand son is in Wrassling in School and realy wants to be in it in High school. thay said that He has to have 8 wins this next year in order to do it so he is trying to realy do it right now and he has 1 more year to do it. also thay said that if he dont wear a face guard then he will have to have a cleen shaven face as thay dont want any facial hair showing.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Hi, When my children were in high school I let them choose their own electives. My dd took cooking as an elective. The course was mostly focused on baking. This imo benifited her in her life, because she is an excellent baker. Many people ask for her ideas, and she has baked cakes/ect... for them. She would even like to start a home business when her children get a little older. She actually had no interest in baking before this course. My son selected wood working as his elective. He now owns his own home. He gained so much knowledge from this course, that he does his own home repairs. As we all know home repair work costs a fortune, so he saves a bunch by doing this him self.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Dd brought home her paper that she has fill out for her classes next year,she is taking computer science as she really enjoy her computer class this year.She will also be taking spanish 2 this will actually be her fourth year in it as she took two years of spanish in middle school. Not sure what the rest of her classes will be. She may if to her math class over as she has fail it all year so far. She might sueeze by but it doesn't look like it.She might take a child parenting class but not sure yet.She will have a half of year of P.E. then she won't have to worry about that any more.She's not sure if after next year if she will go back out for danceline or not.