Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > All About School Ideas & Information

Old 07-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

How often does your PTF (PTO or PTA) meet and how are the meetings run?

I was the pres of our schools PTF for the last 2 years and was so overwhelmed by just getting through all of the activities each month! I'm the secretary this year and am trying to use my experiences from the last 2 years to make some changes.

Our PTF has always met on a monthly basis and have also always had lightly attended meetings. We started offering childcare this year and we also had the interim headmaster in each month to give an update.

We are considering changing our meeting schedule so that on a quarterly basis we bring in a special speaker. Does anyone else do this? What are some of the topics that you've had speakers come in on?

For this year, at least, we will still have our monthly meetings, but make some of them more of "working meetings". Where we get committees together (if we can get some committees formed ) and spend time on the events that are planned.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I was VP & Pres for the PTO over two years we had monthly evening meetings which had a turn out of about 10 (4 officers, principal, 2 teacher advocates, and a couple of parents).

We tried having speakers and scheduling before other events at school to get more attendance. Some of the topics were house safety (fire, poison, etc.) put on by the school nurse, getting an organized house (a parent that consulted for a living donated her time).

My oldest is changing school systems this year so will see what this new school does.

Roberta
Old 07-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

In both PTA/PTOs I have belonged to only the board has meet monthly. General PTA/PTO meetings where all parent attend were only twice a year for the public school and once a year (or more if special speakers) for the private school. For the private school I was chairperson and I changed it to monthly meetings instead of 4 a year in order to keep on top of all the happenings at school.

As for the board meetings I always put together an agenda, as have all the ones I have been a part of. We go down the agenda and discuss all of what is on it plus ask if any additions.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 02-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We have P&C (Parents and Citizens) and out meetings, they are held on the second tuesday of the month and go for approx 90-120 mins from 7pm.
It's actually a good place to go to find out what happens and how the school processing goes, very informative. I've been the canteen chairperson for 3yrs. It's time to take a rest or I think you do get school overload LOL

Old 02-16-2007, 02:58 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Our schools PTA meets the second Tuesday of every month. Not very many parents attend. I will have to mention to our President,maybe having a speaker would bring more parents! We do offer babysitting as well.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Our PTO meets the second tuesday of each month. Our kids are welcome to come. Our meetings are in the Kindegarten room here. So they can play there or outside on nice days.

If anyone has something to say or do it is brought up at that meeting. We just voted on getting a mobile computer lab. And we are looking into getting a new fundraiser(which I'm in charge of getting back to the company). At the end of the month a newsletter is sent out to the parents(three k-3 schools)so that they know what's going at all schools.

We decide not to have a meeting in December instead we decorate the school for the Holidays. The kids enjoy it.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

2nd Tuesdays...

I think it is funny that our PTO meets on the 2nd Tuesday of each month also! It's must be a secret rule, LOL.

My son just started Kindergarten this year, so I am new to it all. But I was very surprised at the turn out. Our meeting are almost always planned before an event at the school, and the turn out is still very minimal. Just the officers, a few teachers (if that), the principle, Vice Principle and myself and another mother whos son is in my sons class. Sad that more parents don't get involved! Always the same ones helping at all the school events, even the ones that have slips sent home asking for parent volunteers.

I guess I'm just learning all parents aren't like me. I love to be involved in my sons activities! I'm a single mom and feel it is important! Guess not everyone thinks it is.

~Crystal

SMILE, it's contagious!!!