Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > All About School Ideas & Information

Old 09-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks Tami for the info..& the welcome

Our "PTA" (called PALS "Partners assisting little saints" since it's thru our church) has monthly meetings & in the beginning of the year, we could sign up for things we wanted to help out with, be it fundraising related or not...

We do have a craft fair thru the church & i suggested that (I) or anyone can make salt dough ornaments & let children paint them & we could sell them for $1 and then personalize them on the spot for another $0.50. Or we can offer them only to parents and they can have the same deal...

I also suggested the bake sale idea, but after our church masses. Alot of the parents bake & I have my own little kookie home business & offered my time there as well.

I also found a website that offered DIY fundraising (but the website is on my other computer as I am doing my WAHM thing right now)

I may have to recommend the PJ thing. I wonder if they'd allow 2, 3, & 4yo's to wear PJ's to school? They usually are only there for 3 hours (most of the kids anyway)

My IL's just asked my how much to write the check for so I wouldn't have to "bug" them about the fundraisers

Old 09-24-2006, 07:28 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tara

Good luck with your project.. it's a shame that it even has to be this way but I know it's been going on since I was in school and we won't even go there on how many years ago that was, LOL! I don't mind buying things if the school truly is making some real money off of it.

Anna
Old 09-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My DD's new school sells "scrip." Store gift cards that you pay the exact value for. The store gives a percentage (2 to 5%) to school, but the buyer doesn't pay any extra. It's enormously successful since it's "free money."
Old 09-25-2006, 05:36 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Barbzy

My boss's son has sold those for the past few years ( same one that's selling the Entertainment book this year). It's a excellant buy on those cards, I've used them for Christmas gifts for my sister and dh.

Anna
Old 09-25-2006, 07:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
This Early Show did a segment on this subject this morning. The 2 ladies were talking about how parents no longer allow their children to go door-to-door and how it's really the parents who get stuck selling some of this ridiculous stuff. The lady said that she has suggested her to kids' schools that they have functions where the parents can interact with their kids --- a family picnic or a movie slumber party in the gym--where they could purchase tickets for a fee and the money would go to the school.

She said that often parents are short on time with their kids because most families have 2 parents working nowadays and that they would be much happier doing something like this than selling wrapping paper. I agreed with just about everything she was saying.

She also said that many parents are more willing to write a check than to bother with selling things.

I like the idea of the gift cards too.

The more I read the ideas on these pages, the more I am thinking about attending the next PTA meeting and making some suggestions about changing things. I will probably get thrown out () but it wont be the first time someone didn't like my ideas. It can't hurt to make some suggestions, right?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My son's only fundraiser that they actually ask someone for something is coming up in 2 weeks. It is called a fun run and the children use their specials times to go out on the gym course and walk, run, or jog for 30 mins and they get sponsored to do this. There are also prizes for the kids depending on how much their donations were. Its a great idea and they have a blast. They have big speakers and play some jammin' music while they're out there. The PTO makes quite a few thousand of dollars.

Along the year they also have a scholastic book fair and each month do a food order. They send flyers home with the food and then order it and you pick it up at the school. They make a portion of what you buy.

Tammy
Old 05-20-2014, 07:40 AM
Forum Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My daughter's soccer team recently did a coffee fundraiser. I thought it was a great idea, and there was a lot of great response from the parents (who doesn't drink coffee these days?). They ran both a normal door-to-door fundraiser and an online one (which was a new concept to me). They surpassed their goal & were able to get new uniforms. The company they used was Driven Coffee www.drivencoffee.com. They may be a good alternative to the candy bar selling you mentioned.