Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 10-16-2005, 12:05 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

School fundraising ideas

I like the candy bars, you get the money for them right away and there's no going back to deliver anything.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
My son has brought home an envelope in which they ask the family to donate money directly to the school. The money will go toward fixing the playgrounds and buying new gym equipment.

We are encouraged to ask friends, family, co-workers and businesses to donate as well. By donating directly, there is no middle man to get a cut.

I'm not sure that I fond of this idea either. On one hand, I dont want him to sell overpriced wrapping paper and stuff liken that but Im not really sure of having the parents ask for direct donations. To me, there has to be a happy medium.

It seems like his school PTA is a "clique". It doesnt appear that they are really fond of new ideas. Im thinking about copying out the ideas here in this thread and sending them in for them to look over. Even if they dont choose to use them, at least they will know that there is someone outside of their little group that has an opinion too.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrsmom

It seems like his school PTA is a "clique". It doesnt appear that they are really fond of new ideas. Im thinking about copying out the ideas here in this thread and sending them in for them to look over. Even if they dont choose to use them, at least they will know that there is someone outside of their little group that has an opinion too.
Tami, I know just how you feel... It's shameful that these people act that way. I tried to change it at my DD's school but got squashed by the "regime"..

I also understand your feeling about soliciting direct donations. It's the most uncomfortable type of fundraising there is... One fundraiser we did at our Mothers' center was to send out lovely "invitations" to a Black-tie "non-event" ..

The "invitations" were mailed with an enclosed self-addressed envelope ( not stamped). The invitation sheet read something like: "We are cordially inviting you to not attend out tedious Anual Black-Tie Fundraising Dinner. You'll get to skip the rubber chicken, flat champagne and boring presentations. You won't have to buy a new pair of shoes, get your hair done, or force your fellow to rent that awful tuxedo. To express your appreciatiton for not having to attend an awful event like this, we ask that you contribute the funds you would have spent on shoes, hair, and a tux rental to our fundraising campaign. Remember we are a tax-deductable charity. And above all else, the donations we recieve go directly into programing being given to your child. Remember, there's no need to RSVP, and we thank you in advance for your generosity"

It was funny, and we actually got over 30% of our membership to make very generous donations.. Anyone with a sense of humor will respond.

Val
Old 10-17-2005, 11:40 AM

My daughters sorority did something like that last year. They held a December 32nd luncheon at 13 o'clock. It was worded similarly about not attending and all they asked for was a $5 donation. I don't know how they made out with it. It was a fundraiser for a women's shelter or something similar. I think that idea is a cute one. Like the invite says, no need to rush out to buy something, just donate the money instead.

Coll
Old 10-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

VAl and Coll, I like both of those ideas and will be passing those along too.

I'll let you know if I get a response of any kind from submitting these ideas. ( Dont hold your breath 'cause it could be a while. LOL!!)

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 10-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrsmom
My son has brought home an envelope in which they ask the family to donate money directly to the school. The money will go toward fixing the playgrounds and buying new gym equipment.

We are encouraged to ask friends, family, co-workers and businesses to donate as well. By donating directly, there is no middle man to get a cut.

I'm not sure that I fond of this idea either. On one hand, I dont want him to sell overpriced wrapping paper and stuff liken that but Im not really sure of having the parents ask for direct donations. To me, there has to be a happy medium.
Tami - I would not like this one either. I don't mind contributing but I am not going to go around and ask extended family, co-workers or other businesses.

My son's school did what they called "school name"athon. The kids collected pledges for a given activity that they did for an hour. They could jump rope, rock, read, among other things.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 09-23-2006, 09:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My son just started pre-school at our church 2x per week.
He's already brought home 3 fundraisers.
Sally Foster, entertainment books, & then the Macy's shopping day ($5.00 tickets for a 20% coupon). They have a couple more things scheduled like, Breakfast with santa & a garden party in the spring.

We were supposed to have golf tournmt, but didn't have enough sponsors to do that.

I've been trying to think of things to help the school. It's pretty small (only 125 kids or so).

Besides the fundraising that is going on, we also do Campbells Soup UPC's, Box Tops for Education, & we should be starting the Tyson A+ project soon. Hopefully those will help out....

I am just now finding all the forums here, so I apologize for just jumping in like this...

Old 09-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Welcome to FC, Tara!! Please jump in anywhere to talk with us!!

I really liked that way my son's school from last year handled their fundraising......they sent out an envelope at the beginning of the year and asked everyone to collect donations from their friends and family. They recommended a minimum of $5.00 but, of course, you would accept any amount. It came with an explination that this would be the only time that they would be "selling" anything so they wouldn't be pestered to buy things that they really didn't need.

The response was overwhelming! People were more than willing to give a one time donation--and many gave $20. or more.

They still held bake sales during the kids' lunches and asked for parents to donate food. They money made went to the fundraising efforts too.

Since we have moved to another city, this school is selling regular things---their first sale is wrapping paper and magazine.

I think that schools have to be more creative to bring in more money. Food is always a big hit. Cookie dough, pizza kits, candy bars--not Easter candy or things like that--any kind of mixes would work better than the same old stuff.

One of his schools held a "pajama" day and you would pay $1.00 to wear your pjs to school.

There are some really good, original ideas in this thread!

Last year, I joined the PTA but didn't get called one time to join them in anything. I was my son's class parent, though, and to me, that was more important and I had a great time with it!

I have joined the PTA in his new school too. I'm waiting to see what happens now.

Get this...... in his school, parents are not allowed to bring in any kind of food to celebrate holidays or birthdays but the teachers give out candy as rewards.
I give up trying to figure things out. lol!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 09-23-2006, 05:49 PM

Working in a office and factory I see all kinds of fundraisers coming into work. There is of course the wrapping paper/expensive candles/ etc. thing and this year my boss's son is selling Entertainment books for $20.00 he gets $5.00 for each book sold towards summer sports camp ( I bought 2, one for us one for my sister for a Christmas gift) I thought that was a excellant price. Other things our schools do ( I live in a huge metro area) are craft shows some last 2 days! Each vendor (crafter) pays a table fee anywhere from $20-$35 dollars, some charge a commission off of what the crafter makes, or they ask the crafter to donate one of their high priced items for a auction prize. This will be my first year doing a school show it's for a elementary school so I'll let you know how that goes.. unfortunately it's not till December.

Anna
Old 09-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I wish that our school would sell those entertainment books. I think that we would get a lot of use of out one. That is a great gift idea too!

Good luck at your sale, too, Anna!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus