Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 09-05-2005, 02:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Besides what has already been mentioned, one thing that does VERY well at my kids' school is a hoagie sale. We make an arrangement with Wawa (a convenience-store chain) to sell hoagie coupons. We sell the coupons for $3 each but we pay Wawa less than that. The coupons can be used at any time for a hoagie at the store.

I think this year the school will be having a rubber-bracelet sale, with a bracelet in the school colors.

This fall we are planning a fun event. We probably won't make much but we are looking to provide a fun family day--a Fall Festival with a variety of food including kielbasa, hot dogs, pulled pork sandwiches, sausage & pepper sandwiches; also kids' games (duck pond, dime toss) with little prizes, a bike raffle (bike has already been donated), pumpkin painting and other activities. There will also be an apple-pie baking contest. This is less a fund-raiser and more of a community-builder but we're all looking forward to it.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

In addition to the things already listed, my kids' PTAs have done:
Spaghetti Supper
Movie Night w/free popcorn
Published a Cookbook
Christmas Craft Carousel
This was mentioned, but ours had a few differences:
Local crafters were invited and sold table space to set up their wares. MaryKay, Avon, & other reps had tables, too. We sold tickets to a breakfast with Santa and sold Polaroid pictures with Santa, mylar Christmas balloons, and baked goods. We had drawings for donated door prizes, but they had to be present to win. This was a huge hit with the kids and the community and it made a large amount of profit, too.
Around here, Longaberger Basket Bingos are the big thing. Tickets sell for 3/$25 and give you three bingo cards and you play 20 games. They usually have several big items available for raffle drawings and one item for presale tickets. They also sell concessions. These seem to be really popular and make a lot of money.

Good luck,
Sherrie
Old 09-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Our school does a Papa John night once a month where we get a percentage from the sell of any Papa John pizza ordered during the dinner hour. They also do this with Planet Sub and Culvers. This way, if your family wants to participate you can and you get to have someone else make dinner and do the dishes on that night.

I think also that Schwanns frozen foods does something similar although our school doesn't do that.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:32 AM

Hi everyone

Something I don't see mentioned on here are craft bazaars. Our schools rent out table space to crafters and make money that way. Grove City High School here does it in a big way, with rooms and rooms of tables set up. The show I'm doing this year is the Clintonville Womens Club and it's $35.00 per table plus the ladies serve a lunch hot dogs or sandwiches I think it was like $2.50 a meal and lots of pies and cakes that were extra.

If you know someone locally who makes candles, that's another option. I'm doing one here for the Brownies to raise money for the Katrina fund, 50 candles plus? We're still in negotiation on the supplies, etc. but look around at crafters you know, if they don't they may know someone who does.

Glycerin soap is another option, very easy to make and sell.

Hope this helps.

Anna
Old 09-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Assistant Moderator

one of my internet friends school is doing a recycling ink from printers and collecting old phones. The recyling center pays between 5 cents and 5 dollars per item that they receive that they can use.
The company pays for the envelope to be send to them too.
Last year she said they received about $500.00. and they are doing it again this year.
it was the first time I've ever heard of it.

Carvival. I know our school is doing one for the 18th

Christmas trees and wreaths

Tupperware has a fundraiser too

several of the home party plans will work with those that needs a fundraisers
Old 09-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I forgot to mention the free money we also get from several sources. I don't know if you have Kroger groceries there (I know you don't have Meijers) but both offer programs that will give you money when individuals buy groceries. We sell Kroger gift certificate cards and we receive a percentage back (5% I believe) then the person can add more on the card and we still get a percentage. Meijers has a community card and you scan that with at the checkout, they have a tier level that you get money back on.

Also we save the boxtop for education points on General Mills products and Campbell Soup labels. The boxtops return money while the labels can buy educational or playground supplies.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 09-11-2005, 09:10 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Perfect idea

Ok you guys, I don't normally do reviews on products of any sort, I list them in FC's Consumer Corner. Well this week I have a product in there that I am totally impressed with, AND they offer fundraisers! It's called "Be Alert For Billy" and I truly believe that every home with children should have one. I have one of these and we use it all the time! Here's what I have posted in Consumer Corner this week:

Be Alert For Billy

Normally, this is where I would post information about this product and allow readers to check them out for themselves. However, I must tell you that every house with kids should have one of these. We live on a suburban residential street, but people fly down the road like they are in a race. We put our Be Alert For Billy sign out and it truly makes a big difference!

These signs come in four different designs and range from $9.95 - $32.95, a small price to pay for your child's safety. When a motorist sees the Be Alert For Billy sign, they instinctively react to its flourescent color, release their gas pedal and slow down. I've been very happy with the results and we use it every time the kids want to ride their bikes, roller blade, or simply get outside.

"We could not believe how effective the Be Alert Sign was. Every car that came around the corner slowed down to a more appropriate speed, and you could actually see the drivers looking around for children. In some cases motorists actually stopped and looked around before proceeding around the corner!"

Take a moment and check out the site. I'm taking their fundraiser information to my school, are you? Click here for information on this product

Old 09-15-2005, 06:57 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Okay I have a few ideas too! The school my ds attended last year had fund raiser's going on all the time! Every thurs after school the 7th grader's sold rootbeer floats for .50, on fri after lunch they sold popsicles for .25(the otterpop type), on tues mornings they had breakfast burrito's & donuts for sale too before school. This was every week they were in school! They also had a yard sale too, sold the wreaths, liscence plate frames with the school logo on it. They have a canival every year too. Each week we had Papa John's night on thurs night. Ocassionally we had a few nights where the Principal & teacher's worked in a local Ice cream shop(Stone Cold Creamery) & the school got a portion of the proceeds, I noticed an artical in my local paper that McDonalds is doing it too. We did the Scrip cards also & they required the parents to purchase $100/mo which really raises quite a bit. The kids held car washes too. And on Fri nights there is a fish fry too, that is for the school in general, along with box tops & labels for educations. but they all work well.

Now the church youth group I am in charge of has 2 yard sales a year, we sell calendars & fudge during the holiday season & usually make good money at it. We also collect cans from the congregation & sell them too, every penny helps. Last year we sent 9 youth & 2 adults to Orlando, for the National youth gaathering that is held every 3 years & the only thing they paid out of pocket was their own spending money! We covered registration fees, airline, hotel, eatting, entertainment & 2 rental cars & still did not deplete our funds completely! In 2 years we will be sending about 7 kids & 2 adults on another trip(of course the church gives us $1000/yr to help), but the kids earn the rest. Normally we make no less than $1000/yard sale sometimes we have hit $1300-$1400/ a sale!! The secret is price it low enough to move it but not to give it away either!! Everything is donated so it did not cost anything to acquire it for the group.
Sorry my post is so long, just needed to get it all out while I was remembering it all.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:37 AM
Nine Year Member

The Kids for Christ Club at my church (3 yr - 4th grade) had a 2 day garage sale over the summer as well with donated items from the church members and made over $1500. They then donated what was left on Monday to the local clothing/food bank that the churches support after letting the church members help theirselves at reduced rates after church on Sunday. The Youth Group (5th-12th grades) sell gift wrapped boxes for the holidays.

Our school does a McDonald's peeler coupon card each year and earn $8-10,000 and $1 per card is donated to the McDonald Houses. The athletic boosters sell the wreaths & roping at the holidays and sell discount cards to local businesses for $5 a card. The PTO has a $35,000 budget and sell the Scrip cards, saves Campbell's labels & Labels for Education and does Market Day. PTO pays the salary for 2 part-time aides, gives $100 per teacher for classroom supplies, pays for the Artist in Resident program (local artist spends 8 weeks working with the kids k-8 in their medium), pays for the kids to attend the Bannana Slug Festival including the buses, and offers grants for special projects the teachers want to do for class trips.

Roberta
Old 09-16-2005, 09:31 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have kids sell magazines to raise money -- it is great because you get great deals on them! I wait every year in November to renew magazines because great deals and money goes to schools

Of course you could do bake sales or even car washes -- this wont raise a lot but could get some money