Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 09-01-2005, 05:34 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Here are some fundraisers that our cheerleaders do in our district.

One is at Christmas time, they have breakfast with Santa. Of course this would be one for kids in either middle school or high school. They charge X amt for a ticket, which covers your breakfast, and visit with santa. If you want a picture with Santa they charge a little extra.

They also did a fundraiser for pets. They had Santa come to the school and charged a fee for a picture with your pet with Santa. I did not go to this one, I can't wait to see if they do it again this year. As I wonder how they made out with that one. I think it could have been interesting!

The cheerleaders also sold candles this year. That was really nice. And they were nice big candles.

Our elementary always does the overpriced knick-knacks and wrapping paper. And chocolate.

They also do a sub sale. Not sure if you would have a grocery store in your area that sells subs. But, if they do they might make subs for fund raisers.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Both the kids schools do the Market Day Fundraiser http://marketday.com/
A lot of parents love this as it is convenient. I find some of the items overpriced from what I can get at the grocery but some of their clearance section items are nice as are the pizzas (cheaper than ordering out).

The pizza kits are also very popular.

At ds' elementary school we had a fall festival. We sold food items such as hot dogs, cokes, nachos. Their were booths that the kids could play and win the small prizes such as those from Oriental Trading, and a cake walk. We presold tickets for a discounted price such as 5 for $1.00 and at the door the tickets were .25 each. They were nonrefundable. At this we also auctioned off theme baskets that the parents supplied items for. Some of the baskets were huge with total values of $200. Ideas for baskets were pets, baby, movies, spa, local college, school items, food, kitchen items, etc. At my nieces school they also had the baskets in conjunction with their Holiday Bazaar and they sold tickets for theirs. Tickets were $5.00 each and you put it in the box in front of the basket of your choice.

We have a Santa Breakfast at DD's school. We charge a set amount for the breakfast, then have craft booths set up for free and the Santa picture is free. The poloroid pictures go to be expensive and we set up a donation can. Then last year we switched to digital pictures, which were cheaper.

Her school does magazine subscription/renewal sales.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 09-04-2005, 07:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I like to see activities that the children have to work at in order to make money for. I personally, don't like the fact that many fund raisers fall on the parents.

These are some things we do:

Sock Hops...with parent's chaperoning...$5 a child (For 5th-8th grade) we do these once a month. They bring in apx 250 a dance.

Car Washes.....excellent way to have FUN!

PIZZA SALE! We found a man (Local) that makes the pizzas with his company...and if you sold 30 items off the list, you got to take a limo ride to mcdonald's during lunch hour. This brought in over 20,000 for the schools!

Become a Secret Sister!
Old 09-04-2005, 08:20 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

We held a "favours" auction where parents and friends of the school and children offered their services to the highest bidder - eg, someone would offer to do a basket of ironing and someone else would bid for that, or a person might offer an afternoon's gardening or a manicure etc etc, the possibilities are endless and it's great fun and you get to know other parents better! You run it like a proper auction with someone as auctioneer (usually the head teacher).

Also, another good fundraiser was to get all the children in the school (or if it's a big school, all the kids from one class or year) to draw a picture of themselves and sign it. This was made into tea-towels. Such a nice keep-sake. One year, we made the drawings into calendars. It was a really nice touch for one of the children to draw the teacher/dinner lady/head!

I know the onus for this one falls on the parents, but it's good fun...the children dress up for the day. We had book themes. All the children paid a small amount to be allowed to dress up.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

The kids here usually sell Entertainment books, which contain coupons for fast food places. The businesses all agree to be included so the coupons are in one book. This is something that I have bought in the past and actually used. (We don't really need overpriced candy, wrapping paper or subscriptions for magazines that we never have time to read.) The church does car washes and sphaghetti dinners or desserts, but the dinners are a lot of work for the adults.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

School Fundraiser

Hi - we have basically done away with all the door to door fundraisers etc. and we now do what is called SCRIP. (It seemed like a lot of work was previously put into things that did not bring in a lot of income). What SCRIP is - You need someone or a few parents to take "ownership" of the program or to head it up and they sell gift cards to participants. There are literally 100's of retailers that the school purchases the cards from and they resell them to parents. It does not cost the parent ANYTHING but a percentage of the total card sale goes to the school. Example. If you purchase a $100 grocery store card from the school (for $100) you would use that card just like cash. The school gets 100.00 for the card and they paid $96 for it - so they have made $4 off of that parent. Each retailer is different but generally the school makes around 2-5% on most purchases. It does not sound like a lot - but if you had 100 families purchasing the bare minimum of a $100 grocery card per week your school makes:

100x$4x35(weeks) = (100x4x35) $14,000.

If you type in SCRIP on google there is several companies that come up - you would have to research to see what would be best for your needs.

You just set a time to sell each day or week and you order from SCRIP accordingly.

Last edited by Goria; 09-04-2005 at 10:29 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 09-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Fund raising

Hello
Boy I heard you...I am chair for the 6th grade fund raising (money for camp t shirt grad party at soak city etc)and since this year we got a NEW principal its not going that great... She told us at first we dont have the right paper work to sell then she told us we cant sell after school (we set up a table) the following items which we have in the past...No sodas no candy So we have come up so far with popcorn (we have a machine) water, juice, beef jerky
As for the school it self we have sold cookie dough and its been a great item we also have a fall festival or spring fling (cake walk booths etc) we have our normal book sales. and we have a santa shop for the holidays, jogathon
Our school has only been selling things for a few years We never use to sell the cookie dough,wrap paper (didnt want kids door to door which we still tell them go to only those u know) we always had our our money fund ie: jogathon, book sales. donation etc it will be interesting this year
Old 09-04-2005, 11:32 AM

My dd's school sells Spartan Super Saver Cards. They have the school logo (a spartan) on it. It is plastic like a credit card. On the front it has the spartan, says Spartan Super Saver Card sponsered by Stanwood Elementary School. Card Expires 9/30/05. I'm not sure if they are selling them again this year. On the back of the card is the name an location of 15 different places like Pizza Hut, McDonald's, a Family Fun Center, etc. You use the card when you purchase something and get a discount off of the total bill. One restaurant offers a free kids meal with the purchase of an adult entree.
Last fall Miriam sold the most Spartan cards for the 2nd grade. The highest seller from each grade K-5 (5 kids), get a limo ride and free breakfast at the local McDonald's. She loved it. I think she sold 36 cards. Thank goodness for grandma working her magic at work.
Coll
Old 09-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Our school does those supersaver cards too. They work out well.

There is a website www.fundraising.com where we got school label water bottles. We sell thm at sporting events and picnics for $1.00, while they cost us $.50 We also sell school sportswear, string bags and fleece jackets with our panther logo and NR School Spirit embroidered on them. Not cheap, but it makes a good sell, and we get a 50% profit margin. There are also $.50 cent mascot key chains and zipper pulls.

We also sell BookSox at the beginning of the year www.booksox.com and We also do a Yankee Candle fundraiser, a Radko Ornament fundraiser ( both of which I find too expensive)

We do an incoming class Ice Cream Social in the early part of the year for the kids and their families. The ice cream and toppings are donated by our local Shop N Stop supermarket, and we ask for a $.50 cent donation for every sundae eaten.
Mc Donalds gives us coolers full of orange drink, and we serve ice water and sell coffee, tea and cocoa. Pure profit.

We also loved the Innisbrook fundraiser www.innisbrook.com ( wrapping paper etc.) because it was great quality, and they ofer a 12 month internet ordering program, that continues to provide profit to the school. depending on sales, you get up to a 60% profit.

Safety First catalogues are also 60% straight profit, and they sell 1st aid kits, fire extinguishers flashlights etc.

anyway these were all successful fundraisers for us last year. With a population of 800 kids and a 30% participation, we raised over $10,000 dollars.

Val
Old 09-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Fundraising Ideas

Depending on what areas you are in I may be able to help you. I am a rep for a fundraising company. I am in MD and the company is out of PA. They do most of the surrounding states. Most of our items are food, but we also have candles. There are new items just added to the line this month like new flavors of cookie dough that is preportioned with some that you actually mix up yourself, different pizzas with hot wings, and wheat soft pretzels. We also have pies, strudels, funnel cakes, cheesecakes, and a few more items. If anyone is interested please let me know. I can actually do it all via email if you'd like. Here is the website which has not been updated with the new products yet and still has some of the old ones, but at least you will get an idea and can check to see if it is available in your state. I do this for my home daycare and we usually do well. The profits vary according to the product, but the average is about $5 per item that you sell.
Tammy