Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > All About School Ideas & Information

Old 08-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Are You Involved In The PTA/PTO?

I signed up last Wednesday and just filled out my volunteer sheet. It seems like this PTA organization has much more going on than the little school where my son attended in Pa. I hope that they call me to get involved in something.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

The two DS school does not have a PTA/PTO.

They tried to start one up a couple of years ago but finally shut it down for lack of participation. I only missed one meeting and there was never more than a handful of parents at each meeting. That's sad!

When DD was in elementary school in Texas, I was very active in the PTO.

When the two DS were at the primary, I volunteered at the school several days a week...usually in the office but sometimes in the library or a classroom. The middle school just doesn't have a volunteer program like the primary.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have been involved in DD's schools PTO and am the Chairperson for this year. It seems that each year we get less of a response to serve on the board but we are able to get volunteers for all the different functions that we need. Of course the attendance at her school has dropped some too.

I was also involved in the PTA at my DS's schools when he was in elementary and was on the board there too. It was the same thing board members were harder to get but we had a lot of volunteers to help out at the screenings, picnics, reading etc. This is his first year at middle school so I shall see how the PTA operates there. I know they have one as we have already paid for membership and they sold uniform shirts at the open house.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 09-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

As far as I know our P&C (parents and citizens) is the same as your PTA. I am involved at ds1 high school one and hubby has ds2 primary school one. They can be a challenge to get people involved it's even harder to fundraise (extra school items like air-con in a room, or a hall or sporting courts etc) but when we come home from our separate meetings we discuss how differently things are done or how we can incorporate ideas between the schools. After seeing those meetings I realise what an enormous job the principal, deputy etc has and sometimes a lack of support all round, and how appathetic some parents can be towards an important part of their childs lives.
I started as I knew no one from that school and it's a way to meet the teachers and other parents.

Old 09-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The only suggestion I can make, is if you really want to be involved in something the PTA is doing, don't wait for them to call you... Call someone on the board, and ask if you can be involved in this project or that...

I started out as PTA president at my dd's school last year, and quite honestly it always seemed to be the "same old gang" doing everything.
So jump on in, and don't wait for an invitation.. It's your PTA, and your son's school, so enjoy it!

Val
Old 09-05-2005, 06:04 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

This is the first year I am getting involved with the PTA since we moved to this school district five years ago. I was involved at the primary level at our old school.

It was just too much for me to be involved in two different schools PTA's and have a toddler. Now that my youngest has started kindergarten I am getting involved.

I have already volunteered to type the monthly newsletter for DD#2's school. I can't wait to see what I can volunteer for at DD#3's school!!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 08-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

In my town the elementary & middle schools (1-6) have a combined PTO so parents don't have to attempt to make two meetings and they alternate which school hosts the meetings each month. This year they are attempting to get some guest speakers in to talk 15 min or so to help get more parents & teachers to come to the meetings.

Last year I took on handling the Campbell's & GM Box Tops for both schools as they hadn't had anyone doing that for several years. I'm hoping the principals promote the program more this year as we don't get near the response as we should and it helps out both schools get things that aren't in the budget.

I will be helping with the Music Boosters the next four years as my oldest is now in high school and in the marching band, concert band and choir.

Roberta
Old 08-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi,
I use to volunteer in the elementary and middle schools when my kids were there. A couple of years I was the only parent who was on the PTA/PTO committee. It was hard for only one parent and a teachers representive to plan and organize the activities and fund raising events for the whole school for the year. I was on the Committee for 11 years. And when my youngest son moved on to the Middle school I sent out a note in the school newsletter that the committee was in need of volunteers as I was no longer going to be there. And if no parents were willing to help out there would not be a committee to plan their childs activities and they wouldn't have the opportunities that they'd had in the previous years. It's amazing when you find out that the parents didn't think they were capable to do the job I had been doing for several years. We had about 20 people show up to the next meeting and ended up having 2 parents co-chair the committe then. By the end of the year everything came together and was running smoothly. Not only that I also had someone take over the Boxtops for Education fund raiser. To this day they are still doing the boxtops. Yes, it really is worthwhile. They raised over $600.00 last year and only had about 200 students. When I moved over to the Middle school with my son I started the boxtops for Education there, the principal hadn't even herad ofthe program. But , as I figured all the feeder schools had been doing it for years that the school should be able to take advantage of it also. I didn't get much support the first year, but when the check for the first half of the year came, the principal came around to liking the program and the following year he was supporting and pushing it at the back to school night and we raised much more money the 2nd year. Then I gave it over to another parent who had a son coming into the school. When you can get parents involved in a program that doesn't cost them more money, they are more likely to volunteer.

I also brought The Starfall program to the attention of the elementary school that my child went to. And just found out that the whole school district is using this program for their K and 1st grade classes now.
Vicky
Old 08-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Our school's has been doing the boxtops for awhile now. It is a good fund raiser.

Vicky, What is the Starfall program? I'm curious...never hear of it.....Thanks....

Q. Why do ghosts shiver and moan? A. It's drafty under that sheet.

Happy Halloween
Caroline
Old 08-30-2010, 04:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Click here to read more about the Starfall program.

Learn to Read with phonics

It helps kids with reading and writing and is free.

Vicky