Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 01-29-2010, 07:29 AM
Nine Year Member

For Valentine's party you can play musical chairs/hearts. Instead of chairs; Cut out large hearts from construction paper and tape onto the floor. You will need to have 1 less heart than kids playing. And with each round you pick up one heart to always have one less. To make the game goquicker if you have a very large group of kids you could take off more hearts each time. This worked out really great when my son was in fifth grade.

Depending on the age group you could do a treasure hunt. I did that with an elementary class one time. We put the clues on the outside of each classroom door. This way they wouldn't disturb the other classes while they were in session. And it also taught the kids which room was where.
Clues were such as; Where would you find a book in the Library and they would go to the library and find the next clue on the outside of the door. They went in groups of 5-6 kids with a parent or volunteer. The last clue sent them back to their own classroom where all the party food was setup for they to enjoy.

Another Halloween party I made a Jack-o-latern panata and had parents donate candy for it.

You can also make Confetti Popcorn and bag it up to stuff inside the Pinata. That way everybody gets a bag and nobody is crying.

Recipe for Confetti Popcorn:

Pop popcorn as normal about 4 Quarts popped. Set aside in large pan.

Mix the following in a 2 quart saucepan to cook.
2 Cups of white granulated sugar
1/2 Cup of water
Food coloring/dye

2 Tablespoons of Butter not margarine.
Cook/boil and stir with a wooden spoon, until softball stage or about 4 minutes.
Remove from heat add food coloring. Stir really well and then pour over the popped popcorn and stir with wooden spoon until all of popcorn is well coated. Then pour onto a waxpapered tray to cool and dry. You cand make as many batches you want. to mix and make a variety of colors in your bags.
Such as red to make pink for Valentines day. Heartshaped pinata
Red, blue, yellow, and green for Cinco De Mayo. Somebero Or Donkey shaped pinata.

Or just do the confetti corn with green food coloring for St. Patrick's day.

But, always use a wooden spoon to mix with as the sppon will get hot to the touch and wood doesn't get that hot.

Will have to post more later.

Vicky
Old 01-30-2010, 07:06 AM
Nine Year Member

You could play a memory game such as:

I'm going camping and I'm taking a tent, then the next person has to say the previous line and then add 1 more item to it, then the next person starts at the beginning and lists another item at the end. The winner is the one who can remember all the items they are taking.

You can change the theme such as;
I'm going on a hike; skiing, swimming, on a picnic, to Disneyland, on a trip to a certain place like the zoo, post office, or going to work with a parent and will take?

Paint pumpkins at Halloween time. Decorating their own cookies or cupcakes.

Have each child bring a different food item to mix into a snack mix kind of a trail mix. Crackers, pretzels, raisins, fruit flavored dry cereals, dried fruits, marshmellows. If you have too many kids then have some bring bowls or napkins. That way all have contributed in some way to the snacks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are a room parent, I have found out that it worked best for me.

If I would sent out a note to parents about 2 weeks ahead of time to request for things for each classroom party. Check with the teacher ahead of time to see if you could do this first.

It would have things like;

Would you be willing to help your son/daughters class by donating any of these items or volunteer to help at (Holiday) class party on this date:_____________________

Please return bottom slip to teacher by date. Usually a week before. So you can call parents to confirm and be sure that you will have all the party necessarities cordinated and not have all candy or food only and that you will have extra help at the party.

Thank you for your greatly appreciated help.

If you have any questions please call me at:
my name and phone number.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please check what you are willing to help with.

Plates _____ Cups_____Napkins______ Fingerfoods________Dips_______

Chips_________Drinks________Candy________Favors___ ____Games_____

Prizes if needed_____________.

Your Time to help with: setup________Run activities___________

Cleanup_________

Name______________________Phone number_______________________

Best time to Call me___________am _____________pm.

Hope this will help some of you parents.
Vicky
Old 01-31-2010, 04:46 AM
Nine Year Member

Here's a web page you could get some more ideas from

http://thepartyworks.com/

Good luck with your parties ladies and gentlemen !!!!!!!