Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > All About School Ideas & Information

Old 08-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question Ideas needed for PTA Ice Cream Social

Ladies, I need some creative input, and I know I can count on you!

My Middle School's Principal has asked our PTA to sponsor an Ice Cream Social In the beginning of September,for the incoming 5th grade and their parents.

We'll be hosting this "shindig" for 1 1/2 hours on a Friday night. The purpose is for parents to get to know one another a bit, break-down cliques, and also drum up membership for the PTA...

I need suggestions as to HOW we can organize this event to most easily, and comfortably acomplish our goals.

We will have very few PTA volunteers on hand... NO teachers or staff... ( unless we can guilt a few into helping out on a Fri. night..) and as many as 210 fifth graders and their parents looking for cold Dixie Cups and toppings.

We'll serve coffee/tea/bottled water... and I was thinking about a raffle associated with the purchace of a PTA membership... and also a 50/50 raffle...

I need ideas to encourage parents to mingle with other adults they don't know..and wouldn't necessarally meet otherwise...

You know, move outside their comfort zone.. leave their friend's side, and talk with a stranger...

Can anyone help with a suggestion that may work in an hour's time?? Any tried and true activity???

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Val
Old 08-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I suggest setting them up at tables by their child's homeroom. This way they are seated with the families of the kids their own kids will see most each day. Make a simple centerpiece with the homeroom number (nice and big) for each table.

They may not get to meet lots of people this way but they will meet someone new to them.

At least with ice cream you can set up topping stations in a couple of locations to make crowd control easy, because nothing needs to be kept HOT. Just serve the ice cream cups out of coolers at each station.

Have some cool fun!
Old 08-08-2004, 06:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

This is a great suggestion. It gives me a great place to start.

It's funny how hard it is for me to approach a task sometimes... it seems so BIG and I get overwhelmed and don't know where to begin.

Thanks for the suggestion... I'll start on the centerpiece design this week. I think Ice-cream cones will do nicely ....
Old 08-08-2004, 10:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I wonder if you could find some kind of big "cone" thing, and put some balloons in the top for the "ice cream." Does that make sense????
Craft stores/hardware stores?
Just babbling here. It would be cute, if it worked.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

You could also put numbers on the cups and have all even numbers sit at a table and all odd at another. have toppings on each table. Prize for most outrageous topping design. Have kids draw ice cream pictures ahead of time and parents judge by applause
Old 03-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

A local ice-cream shop once gave out coloring pages of ice-cream cones and had the kids "invent a flavor." They had to draw what it would look like in the cone, and list the ingredients in the flavor--and give it a name. Best picture, recipe and name all won prizes. That would be fun at an ice-cream social too.