Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Ages & Stages From their first baby breath to their 18th birthday, children experience thousands of milestones. Talk about them all here.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Getting involved in the Community

My 8 year old and I teamed up this summer to create an outreach project for our local Food Bank. We are by no means "well off" but he always asks about those who hold up the signs that say "need food" and things like that. He asked where these people can get food and why don't they work, etc.. so it was a long conversation.
Our local Food bank helps families, the elderly, homeless, and those in need of food and toiletries.
So we've been bargain shopping and using guides from Extreme couponers to find the deals where we can get free food or toiletries (or close to free).
We decided that for every 5 likes, we donate 1 item.
We have almost reached our goal and hopefully making our 1st delivery this week.
I am very proud of him and hopefully we can continue and make this grow.

Our scouts also deliver food to the same food bank in November for Scouting for food, so we are familiar with this location.

Just wanted to share my proudness

Old 08-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
What a wonderful project!

Like you, I truly believe that we should get our kids involved in helping others. We are like you, not rich but still able to help when we can. I think that it's wonderful that you are teaching your son how to save money, along with how to help others in need. I'm hoping that my kids get the same message. We try to help out the shelters in our area. We always buy extra school supplies to help out, too.

I have a question, though...what do you mean by "For every 5 likes, we donate 1 item"?

Keep up the wonderful work!! This is a life lesson that your son will carry with him.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thumbs up

We have a little smile chart and for every 5 ppl who "like" the facebook page", that means we buy 1 item (be it food, toiletry or what not) to donate.
So Luke colors in a smile for every 5 "likes" and then we know what to buy.
Today we made our 1st delivery and it was awesome!
We found out we can donate baby items and household cleaning stuff too.
Thats a plus. We ended up going to the discount bread store, and they said that the 5 loaves we got would be gone in a matter of minutes.

We hit 538 likes and donated 107 items of food...

I am going to link our page here (hopefully i am not breaking any rules, please forgive and let me know if I am) Palm Harbor Local Community Outreach
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

You can see the pictures and get our updates.

I have to work on a blog and donate button for anyone who wants to help us...