Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Ages & Stages From their first baby breath to their 18th birthday, children experience thousands of milestones. Talk about them all here.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Positive reinforcement

Now that I have my GKs, I have implemented a reinforcement reward system. I have a calendar. One child is age 4 and the other is age 5 and will be 6 next month. Each day they pick up their toys, dress themselves, behave appropriately at daycare, and so on, they get a sticker on the calender. The boy gets a bug sticker and the girl gets a butterfly or flower sticker. Once they get 5 stickers, they get something out of Nana's goody bag. I have a bag that I stick goodies in. These are the stickers, balls, glow sticks, and anything else that I can find that is on sale. I try to keep my eyes open for things that the kids will like to dig through in my goodie bag for the kids to pick when they get enough stickers--which is 5 days. If your kids are too young, you can do smaller rewards such a dessert or chewing gum or something small if they pick up their toys, don't wet their pants, and so on. It can be several rewards each day as the younger they are the less they understand time.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

good..
I used tickets. I allowed the girls to paint or decorate a old oatmeal canister after I took the paper off of it.
they could decorate it anyway they wanted to
We would start off each week with 10 tickets
and they earn tickets or lose tickets on thier behavior and things they do.
If they misbehave a ticket is lost, if they continue to misbehave after a ticket is lost the next time it could be 2 tickets that they lose. If they complain after I tell them not to, they could lose a ticket. If they get into trouble at school that a ticket they lose, etc
If they make good grades, ready to walk out the door with all thier school supplies, they get a ticket.

they keep thier room clean, help with chores they get a ticket

at the end of the week if they have gain tickets they could get something when we went to the store for the price I informed them of. Normally btw a dollar or two.
If they lose more than what they started out with they didn't get nothing.

It worked well for them, and they enjoyed counting thier tickets to see how things were going.

I forgot to mention I still have thier canister not been able to throw them out yet.

Last edited by bar_bar; 07-12-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:25 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

BarBar, I like the ticket idea.

I don't think I would ever remove something the kids earned since that would create a loss in effectiveness. So far, things are working out fine with the GKs. DD's MIL is taking her to get Medicaid for the kids this morning. DGS has been complaining about his teeth, or rather a particular tooth for the past couple of days. I hope the surgeon can get him in for surgery sooner than later.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 08-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Assistant Moderator

I guess as kids get older you forget about a lot of things ... maybe that's just me LOL

I always found just simply saying please and thank you to the kids for the smallest thing a big boost to their ego that also makes them realise adults have to have manners as well as just the kids. Evenif they just take out the rubbish I'd say, thanks for doing that for me it was a help.
It's amazing how people ask their kids to do something but forget their pleases and thank yous.

I think Barbars tickets are a good idea, whoever had their ticket drawn get to choose the activity or pizza toppings or desserts for sunday night (?)
I'll ahve to remember some of thses for my grandkids ..... in years to come of course!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

since I've moved in with my dd, I went back to the ticket program for the kids wanted me to use it again.
since I do not have the money to take them the dollar store, I have given them extra time on the computer, or they can draw from a stash that I have and had collected over the yrs. Things that I would of given to them, but hadn't. Now that I'm living with them, they are coming in handy.

Of course since they are older, and they can be expected to do better, more tickets are tooken from them.
Of course they start out each week with 10 tickets, thier goal is to earn more tickets that what they started with. If they cannot they cannot draw or get something,

Thier mom takes away privelges from them, like using the computer, or going to a friend's house, them over at the house, not able to stay up as late on the weekend. etc.