Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Ages & Stages From their first baby breath to their 18th birthday, children experience thousands of milestones. Talk about them all here.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:14 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I usually go to bed at 11pm, at the latest. I hate those nights when I have exams and tests that are difficult because I can't sleep and end up staying up late studying. I'd rather get up early and go to bed early than vice versa.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:37 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

dd1 and ds had a bed time of 10 pm, lights out at 10:30. No phone calls were allowed in or out after 9pm.
Miriam insists she can't sleep before 11 pm, so we need to work on it.
If Maddie doesn't nap, she will go to bed around 9:30. This will probably change since she starts first grade this year.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Meg, I had heard about the sleep changes in girls that age too. I remember it happening to my dd. Thanks for telling us about that - I think I will do more research.

~Mother Theresa

Old 07-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by megrayau
I have been researching this subject just today! Dd has become very tired lately, partly due to low iron, but that didn't feel like all there was.
Recent studies seem to be showing that adolescents (13 - 17) actually need more sleep than 5th and 6th graders! There is also something thathappens in their bodies that changes their circadian rhythms to make them need to go to sleep later and wake up later. Unfortunately, the world isn't geared around that!
It is fascinating to read and googling teens sleep will bring up a stack of info.
There is even a school in Wa. that runs from 2:30pm - 9pm. to accommodate this problem.
Thanks for the information. I didn't know that. I will keep that in mind when my DGD gets that age.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 08-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well my daughter is usually pretty good about gettin up for school, never really have any problems! Shes 15 (sept 2) and is goin to High School this yr (9th gr) School starts at 7:49 and lets out at 2:40 (wierd times right!) lol

Shes not involved in any after school activitys, clubs, sports or anything like that..

My son is 10 and hes usually a bear to wake up in the mornings.. and hes the same wya..if he dont get sleep hes grouchy, mean & whiney allll day long!

hes goin into 4th gr this yr and school starts between 8-8:10 (tardy bell 8:15) and ends at 2:30

Im just so torn on what to do and what time! Its a fight when big sis gets to "stay up later than me" even thou hes younger and stuff he stillthinks its "unfair" its a huge argument! ugh! and I get so stressed out!

Now im different.. I Dont work (SAHM)!! and my hubby works swing shifts (they vary with days off). But I never had to go to bed that i can remember in the summer at certain times.. and I dont really make my kids go to bed.. they go when they are tired or when I go to bed and usually im a night owl. esp if hubbys on midnights. So they dont have a bed time during summer break or like xmas break really. But hubby thinks that midnihgt on the weekends is late enuff and they go to bed on the weekends (during school) and right now since its starting soon..

But Im so torn on bedtimes...how do I know of they get enough or not..how do i know when they actually fall asleep to know? how much is enuff>?
GAH!!! IDK!!! im so confused!!

They both claim they dont sleep well or cant sleep and my daughter sleeps in pretty late unless we wake her up! but my son is usually up in the am (anywhere between 8-10am)
Old 08-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Assistant Moderator

I'm generally in bed at 10.30pm and up anywhere between 6 - 7am to much of the day is wasted by sleeping in LOL ...... that's not to say I've not fallen asleep on the couch watching tv at 9pm LOL

ds2 who is 14 has a 9pm bed time (fri and sat nights are open to interpretation) and ds1 with work the next day has his light out at 10.30pm ... he would sleep in otherwise.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I guess I am pretty easy. DD 12 will be going to bed around 10 - 10:30 school nights. I find that pms times tend to be later. I know she doesn't go to sleep, but I can't make it happen. I am just happy she is sleeping at all! She didn't when she was a baby. 1 - 3 hours a DAY!!!till she was over 1. She slept 6 hours in a row the first time when she was 4 and I was sure she was dead. I don't know how we survived!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 08-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Assistant Moderator

Cooked I had both boys like that lucky if they slept 6 out of 24 hours and never in a row! ds1 was 2 when he slept his first 5 hours in a rat at night, the nurse thought we were joking.
Now they sleep so well the house could fall down around their ears and they wouldn't bat an eyelid! Both are very cranky and terrible to live with if they don't get enough sleep

Old 08-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Bilby, I feel your pain! lol The teenage years tend to change things don't they?

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 08-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Assistant Moderator

Opps just read my post again, the boys do not sleep in a rat LOL They can be rats but LOL, Oh dear I should proof read !!

Yup teenagers whether it's sleep or "other" stuff does your head in sometimes!