Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Ages & Stages From their first baby breath to their 18th birthday, children experience thousands of milestones. Talk about them all here.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:46 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Starting A Play Group

I am hoping someone already is a member of a playgroup, that may be able to give me some insight here.

I would like to start a playgroup at my Church. I have already talked to the Pastor about it, and he is all for it.

The pastor has suggested to just set a date and time. They will post it in the bulletin and Church newsletter. The pastor suggested telling everyone to bring a favorite toy of their child's and a small desert to share.

Which would make for a start of a playgroup, where whomever attends could give suggestions. Like how often to meet, when to meet.

But, I would like this to be a successful ongoing (as cheap/free as possible) playgroup.

Any playgroup goers out there that have found a succesful playgroup that they like? Any input? Like what type of things to do at group for Mom's to keep it interesting for all?

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 02-12-2008, 04:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Karen I started a parent play group here many years ago I ran it for 3 years and then passed it off to anouther and it is still meeting.
That is wonderful that you have free use of the church...that is where we held ours. We had ours open to anyone within the community and there was no religion affiliated with it as some ladies were worried it would turn into a bible type study group and it was not what they wanted. they just wanted a chance to get out of the house and visit with other moms and have the children interact. We have a nursery at our church and I went in and cleaned it out and then we asked for some toy donations and had a toybox we filled......many went to garage sales and picked up a toy to donate. Our church allowed us to use their coffee and juice and we charged everyone 50 cents for that. For the first while I bought or baked cookies to bring for snack. We ran it for 2 hours and anyone could drop by anytime during that 2 hours. I always brought a craft for parents to do with thier child and had crayons and coloring books on hand for more fun. Half way through we would have snack and the last 15 minutes I would do story time with sing along songs. The kids all seemed to have a really good time. All parents helped with cleanup and eventually parents took turns bringing a craft and snack. the focus was on the kids but moms were able to chat with other mom. We also had a coupon exchange basket and once every few months a clothes exchange for kids clothes or toys.

Hope you can get it up and running

Oh I put flyers up and around our town to promote it . We are a very small community

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

A playgroup is such a life saver some days, what a wonderful undertaking. I belonged to one for many years and it was run very well. We met 9-11 Mondays and Wednesdays.

Everyone was responsible for their own child's snack. We had apple juice for those who needed it. We charged 50c for the coffee that was used to purchase more juice and coffee and other things that were needed like paper towels etc.

We had a job jar for the moms. When we came in, we signed in with our and our childs name (in case of emergency) then we chose a job. jobs consisted of: put out toys, wash dishes and tables, story time, coffee making/ juice pouring, playdough and cleanup, putting toys away (all usually help too), and a few others that I cannot remember. If everyone pitches in, it is really easy to maintain.

We would do a fund raiser once a year, home party, selling items and once we did a cook book that we made ourselves. We had meetings once every few months to discuss issues etc.

It was great fun, nice to have friends for us and the kids. Have fun!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Karen

Wow you have hit on my passion! When my ds was brand new and I was still in hospital, with a 2 1/2 year old at home, I thoought we needed a Playgroup at our Church. It became my job after 6 years and I worked there for four. Now I am at another Church in a Kids Ministry Role, but Playgroup is still part of that!
I take it the parent/carer stays with the child? Check out insurance etc. then invite some people and get started. We have a fee payable each term, but no-one is excluded for financial reasons. No-one is excluded for any reason! We do have some rules about caring for your own child, discipline etc that mean less chance of problems down the track.
Everyone brings a piece of fruit that is cut up and shared at snack time and the kids drink water. Tea and coffee is available for the mums.
It would be good to think through the purpose of Playgroup. Ours is a contact point for people in the community. We are open that we are run by a Church, say grace at snack time and will have Bible themes from time to time. There is no devotional or anything like that at Playgroup, but often there is at our special mums nights. Over 3/4 of the families coming do not come from our Church.
I am happy to chat as much as you like, and can email if you want to pm me. If you have Skyoe, we can connect that way.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Hi Karen, I came across this article in familiesonlinemagazine.com today. The author offers a few tips on starting a play group:
http://www.familiesonlinemagazine.co...lay-group.html

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!