FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Ages & Stages (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/ages-stages/)
-   -   Do you have nicknames for your kids? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/ages-stages/15147-do-you-have-nicknames-your-kids.html)

ajrsmom 08-12-2005 01:14 PM

Do you have nicknames for your kids?

When my son was little I called him "Goosey". I dont know how that started, it just did. He even answered to it whenever we were out somewhere. My husband has always called him George or Frank....still does, lol---that's not his name though...... Seems like he's outgrown the "Goosey" though. :*

I call my DD either "Lexibug" or "punkin pie". :*

megrayau 08-18-2005 11:40 PM

my dd has been called 'granny' for a long time now. I used to say "You're as slow as an old granny" and the granny seems to have stuck. She is 13 and we get strange looks sometimes!! I also call her sunshine or princess (though not vey often)
My son gets JR which are his initials. His prep teacher started this b/c there were two boys in her class with the same name! It has stuck now for about 5 years!

They both get called my 'little vegemites', which is an Australian term.

mom2-4 08-19-2005 02:41 PM

Yes, I did end up giving my kids nick names!!

DD1! her name is Kimberly, the only nick we ever gave her was Kimmie Jo Schmo.

DS has webbed toes, so we sometimes call him Webbie. And he had a toilet training problem, so we also called him Smelly.

DD2 is really Kaitlin. But we nick named her Maples or Maple girl. This came from me not knowing very many songs. She was my only child that for some reason loved my singing. So, I would make up songs about her one came out calling her Katie Maples.

And DD3 is Da Bear. Or Bear Bear. Her real name is Karrie. We would call her Kare for short, and than it became Kare Bear. Than Da Bear or Bear Bear. It was so ironic when the Care Bears made a come back about two years after she was born. Needless to say she has lots of Care Bears.

kasparcat 08-20-2005 08:28 AM

When I was pregnant with my first, the names were going to be either Andrew or Jennifer, so we nicknamed my belly AJ. Jennifer came first and with all the other Jennifers in the early 80s, she decided to go with Jaye.

Son is Andrew. He was happy with that, or Andy, until kindergarten. We live in Florida and Hurricane Andrew came through and while it didn't hit us, it hit S. Florida very hard and a lot of people relocated to our town, there were new kids in each classroom practically every week. And since kids will tease, he got teased about being the blame for Hurricane Andrew. So he decided he'd just be Drew, and it's stuck ever since.

DH has a common name, Steve, and when growing up, was always one of several Steves no matter where he went. I took a lot of teasing growing up with an unusual name, Rani is pronounced like Ronnie, and I got called Ronald MacDonald or teased that I had a boy's name. So I swore my kids would have "normal names." So what happened? As my kids moved through school, having a creative or unusual name is the IN thing and no one wants to be "ordinary"!

Damned if ya do and damned if ya don't!

Rani

Pag36 08-20-2005 08:51 AM

Do You Have Nicknames for your kids?

Lol yes my older daughter started out as STINKY due to the nurse who brought the babies into our 4 bed ward would refer to the girls as Stinky and boys as Stinker. She was Stinky for a good while like 18 months and my Mom raised cane "how can you call a pretty little thing like her stinky?" so knowing she was right my then husband and I came up with PINKY as she is a red head and I grew up with a BOY called that because of his hair lol. And too at 18months we had to come up with something sounding like Stinky or she would never have come to us etc. She is still Pinky to this day to a lot of people especially family and old friends oh her name is Merri Ruth Merri pronounced like Merry Christmas and there is a sound diff between it and Mary. The other children just have short names for their actual name as Kenny for Kenneth

Lewcas 08-20-2005 08:54 AM

We have several nicknames for our guys but the main ones are Toots (for the 10 yo DD) and Noodles (for the 7 yo DS). I can't remember where the names came from.

MrsCobbler 08-20-2005 09:10 AM

nicknames!!

My kids nicknames are the following:

Elizabeth is nicknamed "Lucy or Lu". When she was little her mouth took up her whole face when she cried like Lucy in the Peanuts cartoons.

Eric is nicknamed "Bubba and Fatboy". Bubba was because he loved the song "Bubba Shot The Jukebox" and Fatboy after a type of Harley Davidson motorcycle.

Elisha is nicknamed "Bug, Petunia, and Bertha June". Don't know how we go those nicknames for her.....they just happened.

My grandfather used to call me Woodle (don't know why) and my one aunt used to call me "Juanita" after the waitress that worked at the Bluebird Diner in the Andy Griffith Show.

My aunt calls all the nieces/nephews "Cookie"

MKS 08-20-2005 09:19 AM

My ds is Levi Daniel, but when I am frustrated with him or he is in trouble or just for fun he is called Leviticus Deuteronomy! Oh, I just crack myself up.

Coll 08-20-2005 10:14 AM

Hey kasparcat, guess what my 2 oldest kids are named?
Jenny and Andrew.
Here are their nicknames-
Jenny (not Jennifer)~bug or Jenny penny when she was little, now its Jenn
Andrew~ Dewey when he was little, now I call him Buddy (never Andy, thats dads name)
Miriam~cookie or princess
Madalyn~Sunshine or Maddiecake (instead of Pattycake)

I was always Coll, short for Colleen, sometimes I'm called #3 because I am the 3rd of 5 girls
Hubby is Andy, or hunny

Coll

tutterbear35 08-20-2005 10:47 AM

When my first son was born his dad called him his littleman so he was called that alot. His name is Stephen he goes by Steve. Cody my 8 year old we call bugboy not really sure why but he sure loves bugsROFLMAO