Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Ages & Stages From their first baby breath to their 18th birthday, children experience thousands of milestones. Talk about them all here.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Favorite Parenting Books

Do you read parenting books? Which authors/books are your favorites, and why?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:37 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Making Children Mind Without Losing Yours by Dr. Kevin Leman is a Godsend! He's pretty religious so it can seem almost preachy here and there, but I'm not very religious and it hasn't bothered me. The advice has been very helpful. He believes in reality discipline, or letting life help you teach your child.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:07 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Favorite parenting books

I adore reading and especially enjoy parenting books by Vicki Iovine (The Girlfriend's Guides) and Lorilee Craker. They are both good, entertaining and informative writers. I'm just starting to read Iovine's Girlfriend's Guide to Toddlers, as I have a 15 month old girl.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

A lady at church lent me this book by Barbara Coloroso titled "Kids are Worth It". Giving your child the gift of inner discipline.
On the flap it says:
She examines the difference between encouragement and rewards, discipline and punishment. Parents will learn how to empower and influence their children instead of controlling them and trying to "make them mind", teaching them how to think, not just what to think.

This book has opened my eyes--sometimes my kids make me

**A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands**
Old 01-30-2005, 07:22 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

authors

I like Jim fay & Foster Kline Love and Logic books -if you can keep it consistent(sp?)and remember it's fantastic-the main thing they say is showing empathy-I think they are great ;i wished i woiuld have found them when my son was coming up but i have an 17 yr old dtr & it does work
you can go to loveandlogic.com

sorry just started rambling

ps i have read kevin lehman just like beckri & he is good

Last edited by 1tiredmom; 01-30-2005 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:05 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Most current favorite

My current favorite for child raising is by Lisa Welchel (you may remember her as Blair on The Facts of Life). She has a book out called Creative Correction that includes both discipline and possitive reinforcement. It is written from a Biblical standpoint, as our heavenly Father both rewards and disciplines us.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:52 AM
Mystery Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My moms book of parenting

To return to the Guess Who Game or learn how to play this fun game click here!

Who is our Mystery Guest this week? Take a guess!
click here to submit your guess!
Please remember to submit only one guess per day. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am reading the Parenting with Love & Logic now. I have listened to an audiobook of Making children Mind & I've read most of the Creative Correction. I really like the Love & Logic, I just wish I could keep the ideas in my head long enough to make more than one days difference. I'm tired right now or I would be more optimistic. I'll read more tonight & it will work with my ds tomorrow. Right?
Old 11-27-2013, 08:04 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Several to mention.

All older ones, but ones with accurate and quality content.

- Better Homes and Gardens New Baby Book (by Sally and Edwin Kiester). Comprehensive read with some pictures.

- The Second Twelve Months of Life (by Theresa and Frank Caplan). Thorough read with excellent coverage and a pleasant selection of pictures.

- Tips For Toddlers (by Brooke McKamy Beebe). Book opening acknowledges many, many parents for the input as to experiences and first-hand knowledge in making the book happen). Lots and lots of helpful hints, tips, and scenarios (solved).

- Louise Bates Ames, Ph.D., Frances L. ILG. M.D. & Carol Chase Haber, M.A. (A series of books covering a wide range of ages and stages. Enjoyable read with chapters incorporating real life mothers experiences. I have Your One Year Old... Your Two Year Old... Your Three Year Old... and Your Four Year Old. Enjoyed each and every one, particularly the volumes covering three and four year olds).