Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Adoption

Old 10-25-2003, 03:06 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Question Stepdaughter-child support question

I have a step daughter and her mother and the husband wanted to adopt her. They sent as a letter to sign giving up our rights to her. We have no problem with this because I think she is a good person. My question is, once we gave up our rights to her and as parents, do we still have to pay child support? And why if so?

We have not seen this child for about five years and this child does not know she has a brother or if she remember that she has a brother.

We do not have a stable home and stable income. Fighthing for our rights are really out of the questions. Should we go ahead and sign the papers and not let her know that she has brothers?

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2003, 04:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Originally posted by Abear93 in duplicate thread

(Duplicate thread was deleted.)

I don't know if this is different in other states.

However, when we lived in Georgia, a Navy friend of ours went thorugh the same thing...except he was adopting both of his step-children.

After the biological father signed the papers, he no longer had to pay child support because once the adoption went through, the "new" father had all the legal rights & responsibilities as the childrens' father.

Have they given you the papers that would have to be signed? I would read them over "with a fine tooth comb" to see if financial support is mentioned....never just take the other person's word for it!

The ORIGINALnagymom

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Last edited by nagymom; 10-25-2003 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2003, 04:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

In 1982, while stationed in Texas, my new husband (now been married 22 years) adopted my 2 oldest daughters from a previous marriage with my ex-es consent. ALL of his parental rights were severed so all child support obligations were dropped as well. No contact was or is allowed since that day.

Jayne

Old 10-27-2003, 06:32 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

nagymom

Quote:
Originally posted by nagymom
In 1982, while stationed in Texas, my new husband (now been married 22 years) adopted my 2 oldest daughters from a previous marriage with my ex-es consent. ALL of his parental rights were severed so all child support obligations were dropped as well. No contact was or is allowed since that day.

Jayne
the child support was not mentioned.

What happened if he sign the paper and they decide not to continue with the adoption?
Old 10-27-2003, 06:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
What happened if he sign the paper and they decide not to continue with the adoption?
In our case (ex giving up rights) once those papers were signed, there was no going back--per the courts. So make sure you know what you're doing. ALL legal rights are terminated.

Child support is also terminated--you are no longer a legal parent so you should have no support to pay. However, a lawyer is the best one to answer these questions. If you can't afford one then check your local bar association for any that will offer free advice. I know in Alabama when my daughters/grandkids were on WIC I'd see flyers about free legal advice hanging in the Health Department.

Jayne

Old 10-27-2003, 08:12 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

nagymom

Quote:
Originally posted by nagymom
In our case (ex giving up rights) once those papers were signed, there was no going back--per the courts. So make sure you know what you're doing. ALL legal rights are terminated.

Child support is also terminated--you are no longer a legal parent so you should have no support to pay. However, a lawyer is the best one to answer these questions. If you can't afford one then check your local bar association for any that will offer free advice. I know in Alabama when my daughters/grandkids were on WIC I'd see flyers about free legal advice hanging in the Health Department.

Jayne
This incident happened 41/2 years ago. My hubby was paying her $400.00 a month and when the income started going up side down. We contacted a paralegal, we asked her if she could sign the paper stating if we could go ahead and pay her half. She wrote as back saying to not worry about the payment. By doing this we gave up our visitations rights because at that time she was newly married. We now owed her 4 years worth of child support. We have no problem of giving up our rights because according to my hubby, he was not sure if the little girl is his because during the time that they were married, he caught her fooling around with other men. Second, her parent does not like him because of his religious belief. Third, I am Asian this made it worst.

We have bill collectors up to our neck and we do not have a stable home. Fighting to keep her is out of the question. Hubby has decided to let go of her, and I have non-to-say about this matter. My worries are the child support and what if they decided to not go through with the adoption paper. We have two boys and my oldest one have been asking me about his sister. We really cannot afford to pay lawyer to help us. He was going to go ahead and sign the paper and have it notarize and send it on its way.

Although it does not have a fine print, I am left with one question. If her husband decided not to sign the adoption paper and instead ask for the child support. What can we do? Part of me is worried because we do not have the money and part of me is happy because the children will have the chance of meeting each other.