Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Adoption

Old 04-23-2003, 12:11 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Searching

I am an adoptee and now that I have a child of my own I am more careful when she gets sick. I feel as though I don't know what is hereditary and I'm scared. Is anyone in the same position as I am? I have meet my birthmother but unfortunately she doesn't even remember my fathers last name. Does anyone have any advise on how to search for birth parents? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yes, I feel that way too. In our case my children have a double wammy. My father was adopted and I take after him so we have no information on his side. My husband was also adopted and we have no medical information on him. So our children willonly know 1/4 of their medical history. We do not know anything.

I know that depending on the states you can get a court order and get the birth certificate. However since your birth mom does not know the name it probably was not on the certificate and is listed as Unknown. There are also some good sites on the internet to help get together. Another idea would be to put an ad in the newspaper, of town where he lived, that searching for birthfather and give your general info. I would have a p.o. box for this.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 04-29-2003, 05:30 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank you so much. I will still try to get a court order. Maybe if I'm lucky my birthmother will have known his name at the time since it was 26 years ago and many things later that could've altered her mind if you know what I mean may have helped her forget. Its still worth a shot. If that doesn't work I might then try to put an ad in the newspaper there. What are my chances though 26 years later? We will see... Thanks again.

Shannon
Old 04-30-2003, 10:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am in a somewhat different boat. My mother met my biological father while she was working in Washington, DC and he was stationed at Quantico Marine base. I only know his name and have one picture. Does anyone know what I could do to find out where he might be now?
Old 04-30-2003, 11:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ivalines,
I do not know how common his names is but you could do a name search on the Internet. I know Yahoo has all the white page telephone listings unless they are private or people have requested them to be removed. Depending on the name and how many could cold call and see if in the marines.

The other thing could possible do is to see if the marines would give you his last address or have a home state in their files. If had a home state or parents name then could possiblly narrow down and again cold call.

If I think of any others will let you know, hopefully others will too.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 05-01-2003, 07:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I do not know about in the U.S.A. but in Canada we have a registry that you let them know that you would like to know about your birth parents and if your birth parents would like to know what has happened to you they get you in touch with each other. It can sometimes be a very joyous occasion. Check into it with your local government organization. Good Luck!!!
Old 05-01-2003, 08:04 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks for the update I will look into it. I meet my birthmother when I was 18 and saw her a couple of times. Enough to meet 5 out of 7 of my brothers and sisters ( Yes she had a total of 8 kids with mostly different fathers.) I haven't seen my birthmother in 7 years however I haven't seen any of my brothers or sisters in almost a year.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello. I don't know if this information will help, but I gave up 2 babies for adoption. When I did, I filled out as completely as I could, a medical history form for the babies. You maybe could find out what agency did the adoption. Or if no agency, perhaps the lawyers involved. I don't know about 26 years ago, but now at least, (90's actually) they assigned a guardian ad litem (lawyer for the baby) for court purposes. I don't know if this will help any, but I wish you luck.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

If you want to register you can call up ISRR.net. It is International Soundex Reunion Registry. Besides providing a place to register to meet birth family it also gives other links.

Old 05-02-2003, 06:04 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Redcardinal

Thank you so much for the information...