Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Adoption

Old 07-07-2006, 04:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Dh and I had our third child ten years ago. She was stillborn and I had a hyster to keep me alive, so no more babies. At the time I would like to have adopted, but dh wasa TOO OLD! (at 37!!) How crazy is that. The rules did change briefly, but not enough for us to be eligible. I would think about foster care when the two kids at home have grown and we have some space!!
Old 09-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I love this thread. Meg has just told me about it. I have fostered and also have an adopted son. When time permits I will come on and tell you my story.

God is silently planning for you in love, for it matters to Him about you. Zeph.3:17
Old 09-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Marj I look forward to hearing your stories......we still flirt with the idea od fostering.

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-23-2006, 11:34 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Re being an adoptive mum

We were a very average family, m & dad and 2 9 yr. old girls. Visited friends who had a children's home and decided to apply to adopt. Were told too old, I was 33 and dh 38, also had 2 of our own. We applied just the same and 6 weeks later were called for 2nd interview - after much discussion they placed a 17 days old boy in my arms. What did I think? Being an optimist, I had gone prepared with a case of baby clothes in the car, so dh went and collected them and we came home with a new addition to our household. The girls had been told about our plans but of course no one knew that it would happen so quickly. There were long waiting lists. God was certainly in control. 45 years later I can still say it was a wonderful experience. 4 years after this I became pregnant again and had another little girl - megrayau - 12 months later I was widowed.
God was still in control. Without my family I don't know what would have happened - financially life was tough - but I was able to find part time work and with the help of church friends minding the baby we managed.
Some 4 years after this we fostered a little 5 yr. old from a very disfunctional family. He was very disturbed but Meg and Billy managed ok. Both the same age. We had this little boy on a few occasions and took him on holidays to Hemlynne's farm house in the country. He had lived in a "high rise" flat in inner Melbourne and a country hol. was great.
Anyone thinking of adopting or fostering will find it very rewarding - ok - there are costs but the benefits outweigh those. Love cannot be bought. Perhaps sometime Meg and Lynne can add their side of this story.
With my approval, Philip has now had contact with both his birth parents. This did not pose a threat to me. We still have contact - I have been a guest in the mother's home and had both the mother and father in my home, at different times. They married other partners. All 3 have thanked me and said that the adoption was best for everyone. Hope this is not too long.lol. Marj

God is silently planning for you in love, for it matters to Him about you. Zeph.3:17
Old 09-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Marj how wonderful...thanks so much for sharing your story. You are an inspiration. I am sure you saw some tough roads but I am sure there was more love and good times to out weigh those.

hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

This thread is very interesting. My youngest daughter is adopted. she is 26 now. We got her when she was 6 weeks old but did not get to keep her till she was almost a year old. My mom and stepdad had foster kids several times as I was growing up , it was trying at times but the rewards do outway the trails. I will be back when I have more time.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Being the youngest sibling in a family with an adoptee is a bit unusual! mY BROTHER HAS ALWAYS BEEN JUST MY BROTHER! tHERE WAS NEVER ANY DISTINCTION MADE, EXCEPT (oops sorry!) Phil got two special dinners! One on his birthday , and one on his anniversary of arriving in our family.

We are fairly close I guess, although do not see each other much. My older sisters probably have a different experience to mine as they will remember life before and then after Phil, he just has always been there for me.
Also, losing dad when I was 11 months old gave me a totally different family experience than my sisters. It is wierd but we really did grow up in different families! That is probably for another thread. . . . . .
Old 10-15-2006, 01:26 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

This thread seems rather quiet. I would just like to say that Philip, das, is to have more surgery on his back and November 1st. This will be a traumatic occasion as he and Louise are expecting their 3rd baby on Christmas Day. This little girl will be born with a cleft palate and hair lip, so any extra problems at this time are a bit difficult to handle.
Marj

Old 02-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
I'm an adoptive mom too. I adopted my daughter when she was 7. Mine is a long story, I've known my daughter since she was about 1 1/2 . My dh was married before and he was a friend of my dads. But, he and his wife divorced so I got to know our dd before he got divorced. Her mother was killed in an auto accident when she was 6 so my dh had custody after that. My dd came to me right before her birthday and asked me "Joyce will you adopt me for my 7th birthday?"So of tot he lawyers and the courts and 3 days before her birthday she became my legal daughter. Would I do it again? I would do it a thousand times over again if I had to. We were also foster parents and we had 13 foster children in 2 years time.It was the hardest job I ever had cause it breaks your heart when they leave.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:43 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Proud to be Ally's mom!

We were foster parents when we got our Ally. She was 7 weeks old, and drug dependant because of her birthmom's drug use during her pg. We never thought about adopting because my dh and I were both over 50, had already raised three kids, and had 8 grandchildren! But when love comes knocking on your heart, it doesn't matter about anything else! Ally was a very difficult baby, but she grew into a wonderful toddler, then into a lovely child. She is 6 1/2 now, and in the first grade. She does have some delays because of the drugs, but she is doing much better than we thought she would be doing.
If I weren't in poor health, and if I weren't close to 60, I would adopt again. This is a wonderful road that God has us walking down!
Dianne

When life hands you lemons, throw the frickin' things on the compost, and make a double chocolate sundae