Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Adolescence

Adolescence That fiery time prior to your child becoming a teenager. Their bodies are filled with hormones and turmoil. How are you coping?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Anyone here dealing with a tween or teenager?

I have a very emotional 13 yr. old son here at home. Is anyone else dealing with a tween or teenager?

Want to share your joys and aggravations about them?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-22-2011, 02:21 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Went thru 4 kids a teenagers. Very glad that stage is over for us. My older daughter who is now 19 yrs old. I think she cried every day in 8th grade.

I just learned to listen and not judge them. Alot of emotions and immaturity contributes to the years in middle school. High school gets much better for the maturity issues.

I had 2 boys and 2 girls and for me the girls where harder and more of a emotional rollercoaster.

Charlotte
Old 06-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

If it's more emotional with a girl, I'm in for some traumatic times in the next few years. lol. My daughter is only 8.

OMG, my son is on an emotional roller coaster right now! I'm about to pull out my hair because my son and my dh go round and round constantly. It's like having 2 teenage boys in the house!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-22-2011, 08:38 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

My oldest son and dh were terrible together. They clashed like oil and water. Just take one day at a time. Try to work on dh and they way he is viewing things. The teenager you will not get thru for the next few years. LOL!!! Hopefully your dh will be more mature and try and make the situation a little more easier.

Charlotte
Old 06-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymomof4 View Post
The teenager you will not get thru for the next few years. LOL!!! Hopefully your dh will be more mature and try and make the situation a little more easier.
The problem is that they are so much alike. My ds really has a good blend of both, my dh and me - both good sides and bad sides of both of us. lol!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My son started getting really crabby at the tween age. Always complaining and always hungry. It just seems to get worse. He is now 17. I am assuming it is hormonal. He can be very dramatic , too. I hate to even think about how bad my 6 year old daughter will be at that age. She is a drama queen now. My son and hubby clash at times, too. Yes, it is like having another child. I rely on aromatherapy to get some relief. I put on spray or hand cream (bath & body works makes some good stuff) and deep breathe !
Old 06-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami, I can so relate to your ds and your dh going at it. My ds2 is 16 and he and his father are so very much alike and have their moments where they just do not get along and both of them try to have the last word and it just goes on and on. It is like having two 5 year olds in the house!

Ds2 is 16 and begging to get his license (only has a few more driving hours to do before he can take the test) but I am not ready for him to drive a car alone nor do I think he has the maturity. He now thinks he can come and go as he pleases without always telling me where he is going or who with etc. I am at my wits end! His older brother and sister breezed through adolescence for the most part though dd did have her moments (lots of drama and door slamming). Ds2 is the one who is giving me my gray hair!

Elainecad, I swear both of my dss (ds1 is 21 and ds2 is 16) are going to eat me out of house and home. Both are skinny as rails but boy can they pack away the food!

~Mother Theresa

Old 06-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

M 17 is scared to drive and I also feel he might not be ready. We live in a rural area and had a relative die in a car crash at 17. I think this traumatized him. A neighborhood kid killed his best friend in an accident at night near here. The roads are winding and they have black ice a lot in winter. So there is nothing wrong with you feeling he is not ready.
My son is 6'1" and weighs mot even 130 pounds. And is always complaining there is no food. Mine has anxiety and social issues. Was not like this as a young kid but became worse as he got older. We have talked to a doctor and he wants to put him on Zoloft. The side effects are quite scary and we are trying to avoid it. So between the 17 year old and the 6 year diva, I am one step away from the looney bin !
Old 06-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

The looney bin is running strong and steady here today. I swear, my son has to have the last word on everything! He also has to chime in on parenting his sister - that drives me nuts!!!

He is also eating me out of the house and he's also as skinny as a rail - he's in a growing spurt now...he's 5'7" and weighs 115....he's solid, not frail but thin. I'm so jealous that he has the perfect body.

Once he gets his shaggy hair cut, maybe my dh will relax a bit.

Aromatherapy....gonna try it!! I'm already drinking Tension Tamer tea. ROFL!!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Elaine I think I'd look into some therapy for the anxiety before resorting to drugs.

Since puberty dd1 has been all over the map one minute she can't spend enough time with us and the next doesn't want to acknowledge that we are alive.

Roberta