Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Adolescence

Adolescence That fiery time prior to your child becoming a teenager. Their bodies are filled with hormones and turmoil. How are you coping?

Old 05-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Residentials

We have just finished paying for our DD school residential trip, she is going away for 5 days with school on an high action week.

My tummy is in knots already and the trip isn't till July. There have been a lot of high profile debates here about children and school trip, as there has been a couple of deaths, one poor child got swept away in a swollen river.

The trip cost us 185, which is a lot for us, they will be canoeing, rock climb assailing, high wire flying etc

She has only stayed away from us for one night and that was with a family member.

Have your children been away on residential?

Take time to recharge your batteries. It's hard to see where you're going when your lights are dim.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I've no clue what a residential is or high action week but I do know that when kids get together for a while in close quarters that peer pressure mounts up and silly things happen you just hope that supervision is good and you child knows right from wrong and not to let peer pressure affect them. How old is your daughter?
Good luck

Old 06-22-2009, 03:14 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My daughter is 11, thankfully she i a sensible child, but saying that she will be with all her friends.
There are a number of teachers and support teachers going.
The trip s coming up very quickly now (5th July)
Another poor family has had tragic loss from a similar trip in the last few week here. I aren't against school trips, but in the recent years there have been a number of deaths from these type of trips where children have been swept away etc.
I will be so much happier when her feet land back on our doorstep on the 10th lol

Take time to recharge your batteries. It's hard to see where you're going when your lights are dim.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Madmum, my 2 boys are in Boy Scouts and I can understand you feeling afraid. My older one has gone white-water canoeing, rock climbing, all kinds of dangerous stuff while at camp. It's better when I don't know what he's been doing, at least for my anxiety level.

It might put your mind at ease if you can talk to some of the adults who will be along on the trip.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My husband doesn't trust anyone to look out for our kids so wouldn't let them go away for several days unless one of us was going also to chaperon.

Roberta
Old 06-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My dd and ds went away for 5 days for Science Camp as part of their 5th grade school program (10 - 11 years old). All of the kids went (a total of 90 children). There was no problem my ds's year, but when my dd went two years later, her hiking group got lost (they were with a high school student leader). They were lost for over 6 hours and were eventually found by a search team. No parents were notified about this until the kids returned from the camp -- this was about 10 - 12 years ago before kids had cell phones. They herded the parents of the hiking group (about 15 children in total) in a small room when the bus came back to the school and had us all sign some sort of waiver (I guess saying that we wouldn't sue the school district or camp). I have since heard that the school district no longer allows high school students to be camp counselors -- although I believe that the program is still continuing. That being said, my dd had a wonderful time and learned all about the safety steps necessary when you are lost in the woods!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thank you all

I have spoken to the teachers that are going a few times recently and also had a look at the web site of the adventure place they are going to.

I am feeling a little more comfortable with it, but I suppose there will always be some apprehension with it.
She is setting off this Sunday.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I hope she has a great--and safe--time! Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I hope your dd has a great & safe trip.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

chuckle

I know that your dd will have a wonderful time! This may be a good week to do something special for yourself!!