Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Adolescence

Adolescence That fiery time prior to your child becoming a teenager. Their bodies are filled with hormones and turmoil. How are you coping?

Old 04-18-2009, 03:38 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Home Alone

What age do you think It is acceptable to leave your child at home alone for an odd hour??
Old 04-19-2009, 04:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I think my older kids were about 11 before I left them home for more than 10 minutes.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Same here, Barb. DD would get ds off the bus and I would be home within minutes.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 04-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'd agree 11, although I think there was a time or to I had to run to the shop for just milk and bread and left him home for those 10 mins when he was 10.
He knows he's not allowed to answer the door to anyone and or answer the phone unless it's me or his dad (we have caller ID)

Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

Depends on the child and of course state laws.
I would leave my dd1 home alone for an hour when she was 9. I didn't do this with ds until he was 12. Not that he couldn't be trusted, its just that he was different than dd1.
DD2, she's been home alone for 10 minutes or so if he bus got here early and I was out somewhere.
DD3, she not quite 7 so, right now, she doens't get left home alone for any reason.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I agree with Coll. It depends on the child. My son is 13 now. He will actually be spending the summer home. Too old for daycare.
He has been home alone after school for the last 3 yrs. He typically gets home about 2 hrs before his dad. He knows not to answer the phone or door unless it's us or his Godmother.

Missing my Mom...1/15/07 ~ 1/15/16
Nine years without my best friend

•*¨*•.ƸӜƷ•*¨*•
Old 01-29-2010, 05:00 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I don't think I left my children home until they were 12 or so but that was during the daytime for only an hour or so. I didn't leave them home alone at night until they were 14 or older and then it was only for an hour or two.

~Mother Theresa

Old 01-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

when I started leaving my kids alone, we did in short time frame to see how well they did. As time went on we stretch out the time, to see how well they did.
again I agree it depends on the child, as some kids are more mature than thier age,
also I think it would depend on will they be watching another child and can they do that or not. They may be ready to watch themselves but not another child.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:15 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I agree with the general consensus. My youngest will be 11 tomorrow. I have left him alone for an hour or so over the last few months and he does fine. It helps that we have a 90 pound German Shepherd that would rip anyone to shreds that tried to hurt her little boy My second youngest will be 13 this summer and he has spent longer periods of time alone. Of course they all have my cell phone and we know quite a few neighbors around here, and it's generally a very safe neighborhood, so those kinds of things factor in as well.

I can't tell you how happy I am to be out of the diaper, bottle, playpen, stroller, diaper bag stage. Soon they'll all grow up and be gone and I will be wondering what happened

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 01-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

DD1 took a Red Cross Babysitter course when she was 12 yr and since then we have let her stay home with her younger sister for an hour or two in the evening while DH & I have some time along.

I have let them stay home during the day for 3-4 hrs while I was working but called to see how things were going.

Roberta