Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Adolescence

Adolescence That fiery time prior to your child becoming a teenager. Their bodies are filled with hormones and turmoil. How are you coping?

Old 04-18-2009, 03:03 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

out of school activities

Do you think children do too much of the 'out of school activities'?

I know my DD does quite a few things, she does guides, ballet, tap and jazz, she does guitar lessons.

She wants to find a gymnastics club and extend her dancing to include ballroom too

All of these are her choosing and to be honest it would a lot easier for me if she didn't do as much...

Do you think a child can do too much of these things?
Old 04-19-2009, 04:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

A lot depends on the age of the child. I don't know how old your daughter is.

My 17-year-old son is in Boy Scouts. He also runs cross-country every fall, does stage crew for 3 school plays a year, and is in several other school activities.

My 13-year-old daughter plays winter basketball and spring softball. Sometimes she plays summer basketball too. I will only let her play one sport per season because there WILL be schedule conflicts and then forced choices about which team she would have to let down that day.

My 7-year-old is in Cub Scouts and plays spring baseball.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

In my opinion , yes a child can get over involved in too many activities. I know that you said it was her own choosing. But, if it's stressing you out and the schedule is too hectic for you. You may have to sit her down and explain that you need some time for youself. And if her grades are not very good then she should take more time for her studies to try to improve her grades.
Also, maybe you could brainstorm about different options for transportation to some of her activities she's involved in.
It maybe that she doesn't realize what you've been going through just to get her to all the things she does.

I know that when my son gave up being in Boy Scouts it took alot of stress out of his life and has done a world of good for him.
His attitude has changed for the better in school and his grades have improved to A's and B's.

Good Luck.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I let my kids pick 1 activity each. Since we had 3 kids that was 3 different things and schedules. I also encouraged a lot of reading and play time. Things to encourage their imaginations
I also did my own things nearby when they were doing homework. That way they didnot feel isolated