Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Adolescence That fiery time prior to your child becoming a teenager. Their bodies are filled with hormones and turmoil. How are you coping?

Old 04-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sammi hit the nail on the head--- Being a parent is not winning a popularity contest. I really believe that if your children know you love them unconditionally then the times when you have to use some tough love and they strike back with those dreaded words, will be a passing moment.
My children are slowly becoming adults. We had our share of rocky moments while they were growing up. Now as the older ones are setting out on their own they are starting to show us that they appreciate us and know we did the best we knew how as they were growing.
I know right now those days seem eons away, but believe me your Dd will be heading out the door to college before you know it. Feel free to vent here as often as you like. There are days when the little darling can push you to the edge.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I always told my kids I wasn’t their friend and was sorry they hated me but I had to do what I thought was right for them. I also told them you can do it different with your kids. As I side note my oldest dd always explained everything thing she asked her dd to do. Now dgd is almost 12 And boy has dd changed her tune. Seems dgd now feels she can she can explain to her mom why she does not have to do something

Old 05-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Assistant Moderator

Can't say I've ever had this problem, hate like shut up are not words we use about each other here at home. Can be destructive.

Where is the 'I hate you' coming from is it something that is said at school or has seen her friends say? Maybe it's not you she's ultimately angry at, but maybe another situation you know nothing about and saying it to you is her only outlet??
Just a thought.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:56 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks for all these ways, they are helping me a lot
She is calming down with me using some of the ways you have suggested here

thank you so much
Old 05-02-2009, 05:17 AM
Nine Year Member

Two years ago my oldest told me she hated me after not being allowed to run the town like her so called friends did.

I told her "Good then that means I'm doing my job right", that shut her up then later she told me what was going on at school and with her friends.

Roberta
Old 05-02-2009, 06:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
My daughter did the same thing, but, I adopted her at age 4 so all the words were there before I came in the picture. I always said" You may hate me, but nothing will stop me from loving you'. TODAY WE ARE THE BEST OF FRIENDS AND I truly am her mum.

My daughtr is the tall one in the picture I am the short round one.LOL>
Old 05-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Assistant Moderator

it a stage... think of it this way... you are a caring mom if they child tells you she hates you for you are watching out for it.. there are those parents that the kids don't care for because they don't watch out for the child.

I used to tell my kids " I know you don't like me" because I'm going to make you do... that ok, for I do love you no matter how you feel about me.. and one day you will understand

Guess what my dd is 31 and she understands.. LOL

If you know ahead of time they will not like you it helps... like the poem about the meanest mom..... have you ever head of that poem, if not I will see if I can find it for you if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

It isn't you that she hates, but the fact that you are the boss of her life and she isn't. Just love her anyway and know that the day will come when she will understand why you must sometimes make decisions that she doesn't like.

Hang in there, they are worth it!
Love & Prayers,
Linda
May God give you for every storm, a rainbow, for every tear, a smile, for every care, a promise, and blessing in each trial, for every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh, a sweet song, and an answer for each prayer.
~An Irish Blessing
Old 05-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Assistant Moderator

think of how many times you have used the word and what did you really mean. Did you really mean you hated it or just for that moment, or time frame.
Do you ever start liking it again, many times yes, and your dd will love you again too.

Think back did you ever feel this way about your mom?
it alright to have these feelings, but the bond that forms and what comes of things.

My dd hated me, and she is bonded to me like glue lately to make up for lost time, and times she wasn't there for me.. She has came to realizse she didn"T hate me and the time she wasted..
your dd will learn it too.
Hugs