Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Adolescence

Adolescence That fiery time prior to your child becoming a teenager. Their bodies are filled with hormones and turmoil. How are you coping?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

CTV/ PBS are same thing

In canada it's called CTV but in the states it's called PBS.

This was a special multi-part program on the developement of the human brain starting with babies and going through geriatrics (all the programs were about 2hrs long).

In CT, it was shown this past season though I believe they plan to show it again this summer. If you look up your local PBS station on the internet you should be able to track it down and/or let them know that there is interest in the program.

We found it very interesting and informative though a bit dry in places; and even though it was originally recommended to my fourth grader (because the were studying the brain in class), we found it to be a bit much for them.

We missed the one on the teenage brain so I'm looking forward to seeing it this time around.

To Bettdev: Thanks for tracking down that list. I'm one of those parents that's going to print and post it. What a reality check for us all.

Remember: keep smiling/ you're not alone
patti
Old 06-13-2002, 04:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
I am still hoping someone will come up with a miracle pill to cure this or make something for the parents to take lol either way i am not bothered lol

While there is no "cure" for this besides time and maturity, It helps me immensly to remember what I was like...OMG!! I was the WHINE-QUEEN of adolesence!!! I hated my life, nothing was fair, and just you TRY to get me to accompany the family to a function (like a visit to an Aunt's birthday party!) LOL!

So yes, the "rules" were great, (and I forwarded them to my DD's mailbox), but I also have to take a deep breath and remember how great I turned out!

Val
Old 06-13-2002, 05:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Big on Loving those daughters

My sweetie was also out of control after growing up so lovingly. She was yelling at me in public and the problem was that I understood why she was angry. However, we were going to a Christian concellor. She told me to get down to her size. That was when she was shorter than I, look her in the face and say, "You are not going to talk to me that way!" And then give her a time -out. So during her brothers birthday party at the park, she blew up at me. I did it. Then one time at a Rumage Sale. She's smart. She hasn't done it since in a public setting. Home has been another matter. But she explains that she really didn't mean it to sound that way. She is so funny. She tries to say something smart and it sounds smart in her head, it just doesn't come out that way. But also, I have younger children who I don't want to copy-cat her moody talk. Usually when we can't get along, a hug goes a long way. I'm going to try that repeating again what you said thing today.
Sue
Old 06-13-2002, 07:03 AM
FamilyCorner Groupie

chuckle rules for life

I also printed them off for each of my three kids ( 2 of which are PMS QUEENS lol) and i also made a copy for my mom to post at her house for when they are over there lol

I think i am going to fwd them to DD email she will just love me even more for that lol

Incase you hadnt noticed i belong to the MEAN MOMMIES CLUB lol well accordingto my two daughters i do

Sue
Old 06-13-2002, 09:53 AM
A Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Mean Mommies Club

I tell my children all of the time...I am the mean mommy remember...that is why I told you NO!!...It always gets a big laugh and we can start over.....
Old 06-13-2002, 09:59 AM
FamilyCorner Groupie

chuckle mommawellman

LOL i tell my kids i am the president of the club and they say ' you have earned it mom, trust me we know '

Kids say the funniest things cuz when they say it they are trying to be mean but i always laugh and it gets them smiling and then it is pointed out to me that ' i ruined a good mad' Way ta go mom LOL

Sue
Old 06-13-2002, 11:42 AM
A Friend of the Family

FamilyCorner Newbie

ruined a good mad....I do like that one.....LOL
Old 06-13-2002, 11:50 AM
FamilyCorner Groupie

chuckle

Now you know why i smile a lot lol and i was just informed by my 14 DD that i am the MASTER at 'ruining a good mad'too

So now i am President of the Mean Mommies Club and a Ruining a Good Mad Master LOL and i thought my day was boring

Sue
Old 06-14-2002, 02:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Meanest Mommie in the World

Hey Ladies that's my title....

I've told my kids since they were little and they'd say " Mom you're soooo mean, you won't .....", that "Yup! I'm the meanest mommy in the world and proud of it. I've worked hard at that title and nobody is going to take it away from me."

Now that they're a bit older they'll accually argue with me, even in public, which always cracks me up because they get so occupied telling me why I'm not mean that they forget that they said it in the first place.

And you're right, now neither of my kids can stay mad for more than a few minutes when we start, which really frustrates them (in a good way) and lets us get to the root of the problem on those rough, "I'm just mad at the world" days.

Yours in Meanness; Keep Smiling!
patti;-)
Old 06-14-2002, 05:12 AM
A Friend of the Family

FamilyCorner Newbie

Mean Mommies!

It is amazing....how we are the meanest mommies in the world until we call ourselves that, or someone elses child calls us mean...My kids will defend me to the other kids in a flat second if someone says..."Wow, your mom is mean".....They can be so possessive...